Author Topic: Rondo, IT both ejected for getting tangled up & trash talk over IT video tribute  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I cannot believe people are seriously undermining Rondo or Isaiah. I love what both players brought to our team respectively. Rondo was the conventional last piece of our Big 3, (aside from AB,) and Isaiah put his whole heart and soul into this team.

Since when did we have to take sides on who is wrong, and who is right in situations like this?

Also I wouldn't mind taking both back, although I know it would never happen. I think both players have similar interests at heart, or perceived notions that delegate what their true intentions are during that scuffle. You see Rondo butting heads because he believes Isaiah purposely had an hidden agenda against Pierce. Isaiah believes Rondo is being childish or overreacting by getting some quick ones in Isaiah. (Note the few elbows that Rondo threw during the Pelicans vs Lakers game.) But regardless, I love that they both weren't willing to roll over, and were both perfectly content with getting back at each other. It's the moxy that we as Celtic fans fell in love with. I think Rondo must've at least been initiating at least partially most of it. Isaiah chose to respond instead of ignoring it, and that resulted in the ensuing ejections for both parties.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
IT was a punk for trying to upstage PP, then he said he's the one that shut it down.  Rondo put him in his place.  End of story

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I have to say I have never gone from just liking a former Celtic to absolutely disliking the guy the way I have IT. I am so tired of the [dang] videos. Im so tired of him bringing up stuff and then saying its the press bringing it up. Im tired of him Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing about the Celtics or Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing about how other teams need to play in relation to how he played here.

Im so glad the Cavs traded him so that he wouldnt even be in the house on Sunday.

He milks the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. out of the stuff that happened in the playoffs. I get so [dang] tired of it. Last years team was like the 01-02 team except that team at least had a guy who I thought could lead you somewhere unlike IT.

I dont care how petty it might have been on Rondo's part because Im so tired of IT talking all the time like he was great for more than a cup of coffee.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I like both Rondo and IT, Rondo more. Just loved his game when he was engaged for those 6 years or so. He effected a game without scoring more than any player I had ever seen.

IT was just amazing and had a heart bigger than his body. Last year was a thing to behold. Would have had no problem with Danny backing up the Brink's truck for him if he remained healthy. A healthy IT with a healthy Hayward, Horford, Brown and Tatum would have been awesome.

But they aren't Celtics anymore so I really don't care what they do anymore. But in this instance, Rondo didn't look like he was doing anything physically wrong and was just talking trash. IT should have just talked crap back and gone on with the game. Their both idiots for letting this get to them and hurt their teams by getting tossed.

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
To me the main story here is how the ref made it about himself.  There is NOTHING that went on that merited double ejections.  That's going to cost me big-time in my fantasy league playoffs.  I needed ITs FTs.

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I like both Rondo and IT, Rondo more. Just loved his game when he was engaged for those 6 years or so. He effected a game without scoring more than any player I had ever seen.

IT was just amazing and had a heart bigger than his body. Last year was a thing to behold. Would have had no problem with Danny backing up the Brink's truck for him if he remained healthy. A healthy IT with a healthy Hayward, Horford, Brown and Tatum would have been awesome.

But they aren't Celtics anymore so I really don't care what they do anymore. But in this instance, Rondo didn't look like he was doing anything physically wrong and was just talking trash. IT should have just talked crap back and gone on with the game. Their both idiots for letting this get to them and hurt their teams by getting tossed.

Rondo definitely took some cheap shots at Isaiah, and elbowed him a few times in the face after he put his hands up. There was one instance where Isaiah was headed to the half court, and Rondo sort of side swiped him in the face, and Isaiah was looking at the ref who was several feet away, but didn't get a single call.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Rondo and IT both ejected for getting tangled up
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I love Rondo and miss him, but come on, IT last year single handedly led the team to the ECF and had MVP numbers (29/6). Rondo couldn't do that and ultimately stopped playing defense post the Big 3-Era, when it was essentially his team.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really don't think Isaiah deserves all the "dissing" he's getting from former Celtics players and the media.

And yeah, it's old news, but I still can't believe Pierce acted so insecure about Isaiah potentially having some 2-3 minute tribute video on his retirement day.

I don't see any reason to diss IT either, but it's not clear he surpassed Rondo in any way by having a big offensive season and reaching the ECF.

Rondo made 4 consecutive All-Star teams, 4 All-Defense teams, led the league in assists 3 times, won a championship as the starting PG, and was a monster in the playoffs even out-dueling LeBron at times. You don't think he could have put up even bigger stats if he wasn't deferring to the Big 3 all the time on those championships runs? If he played in a era where Westbrook actually averaged a triple double and wasn't even the best player in the league?

IT played 2 years and was a top-5 scorer on an ECF team once. Last year was great, but it takes a short memory to say IT > Rondo without hesitation.

To be fair to Phantom, his profile indicates he’s 19, so he was 9-13 during the height of Rondo’s magnificence, and thus might not legitimately remember or be able to have the correct perspective.
I'm in my mid teens and I think Rondo had a better career than IT so go figure, it's not all about age.

Some guys use age as if its a trophy or evidence of some battle won. Bias is prevalent regardless of age. Just ask my uncle who thinks Larry Bird is the best basketball player ever. Everyone who types here has access to google, and the ability to research/formulate opinions on players that they never watched. There's enough youtube material out there on IT and Rondo.

To compare the two, I think you start with time spent in Boston: Rondo was here for ~6 years of basketball (he missed a ton of games near the end), while IT was only here for 2 years. I think it is fair to say that the Boston fans liked IT more than any player who only was here for 2 years.

Rondo never scored like Thomas. Thomas never made passes or played D like Rondo. Completely different point guards. If it weren't for massive egos, they may have been pretty good on the same team (just don't tell IT that he has to come off the bench).

I will remember both as top 5 Celtics point guards with Cousy, Tiny, and DJ. I think IT likely gets pushed out with a couple of solid years from Kyrie.

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:18 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I love Rondo and miss him, but come on, IT last year single handedly led the team to the ECF and had MVP numbers (29/6). Rondo couldn't do that and ultimately stopped playing defense post the Big 3-Era, when it was essentially his team.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really don't think Isaiah deserves all the "dissing" he's getting from former Celtics players and the media.

And yeah, it's old news, but I still can't believe Pierce acted so insecure about Isaiah potentially having some 2-3 minute tribute video on his retirement day.

I don't see any reason to diss IT either, but it's not clear he surpassed Rondo in any way by having a big offensive season and reaching the ECF.

Rondo made 4 consecutive All-Star teams, 4 All-Defense teams, led the league in assists 3 times, won a championship as the starting PG, and was a monster in the playoffs even out-dueling LeBron at times. You don't think he could have put up even bigger stats if he wasn't deferring to the Big 3 all the time on those championships runs? If he played in a era where Westbrook actually averaged a triple double and wasn't even the best player in the league?

IT played 2 years and was a top-5 scorer on an ECF team once. Last year was great, but it takes a short memory to say IT > Rondo without hesitation.

To be fair to Phantom, his profile indicates he’s 19, so he was 9-13 during the height of Rondo’s magnificence, and thus might not legitimately remember or be able to have the correct perspective.
I'm in my mid teens and I think Rondo had a better career than IT so go figure, it's not all about age.

Some guys use age as if its a trophy or evidence of some battle won. Bias is prevalent regardless of age. Just ask my uncle who thinks Larry Bird is the best basketball player ever. Everyone who types here has access to google, and the ability to research/formulate opinions on players that they never watched. There's enough youtube material out there on IT and Rondo.

To compare the two, I think you start with time spent in Boston: Rondo was here for ~6 years of basketball (he missed a ton of games near the end), while IT was only here for 2 years. I think it is fair to say that the Boston fans liked IT more than any player who only was here for 2 years.

Rondo never scored like Thomas. Thomas never made passes or played D like Rondo. Completely different point guards. If it weren't for massive egos, they may have been pretty good on the same team (just don't tell IT that he has to come off the bench).

I will remember both as top 5 Celtics point guards with Cousy, Tiny, and DJ. I think IT likely gets pushed out with a couple of solid years from Kyrie.
lets not forget jojo

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I have to say I have never gone from just liking a former Celtic to absolutely disliking the guy the way I have IT. I am so tired of the [dang] videos. Im so tired of him bringing up stuff and then saying its the press bringing it up. Im tired of him ****ing about the Celtics or ****ing about how other teams need to play in relation to how he played here.

Im so glad the Cavs traded him so that he wouldnt even be in the house on Sunday.

He milks the **** out of the stuff that happened in the playoffs. I get so [dang] tired of it. Last years team was like the 01-02 team except that team at least had a guy who I thought could lead you somewhere unlike IT.

I dont care how petty it might have been on Rondo's part because Im so tired of IT talking all the time like he was great for more than a cup of coffee.

You're entitled to your (very inaccurate) opinion.  But this 1 post has 5 violations in it, and I'm routinely banned for a lot less. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
I just dont feel the IT love. If he wouldnt have cried every other week about the trade I would have been fine but this guy acted like he was the Greatest thing to ever happen to the Cs since Bird and Im so tired of that crap.

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Watching some youtubes on a player is completely different than watching that player for 100 games a year for 6 years. I watched whole seasons of Hondo in the 70's and think he is definitely the 3rd best Celtic of all time. I highly doubt most teenagers have the depth of knowledge about just how good Hondo was from seeing a youtube or two so would never come to that conclusion.

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
I have to say I have never gone from just liking a former Celtic to absolutely disliking the guy the way I have IT. I am so tired of the [dang] videos. Im so tired of him bringing up stuff and then saying its the press bringing it up. Im tired of him ****ing about the Celtics or ****ing about how other teams need to play in relation to how he played here.

He milks the **** out of the stuff that happened in the playoffs. I get so [dang] tired of it. Last years team was like the 01-02 team except that team at least had a guy who I thought could lead you somewhere unlike IT.

You're entitled to your (very inaccurate) opinion.  But this 1 post has 5 violations in it, and I'm routinely banned for a lot less.

So what is inaccurate. Point it out. Have he produced videos about the trade on multiple occasions? Did he blast the organization? Yes. Did those videos prompt more questions from the media? Yes. Did he talk about the Celtics on a few occasions when he was with the Cavs? Yes.  Half the crap that is said in his defense is about stuff that happened in the playoffs.

Lastly, what was different from last years team and the 01-02 team. They both went to the Conference Finals with not great teams. Are you claiming IT is close to Pierce? There is no way I would even consider IT in the same league as Pierce in terms of carrying a team.

So PLEASE point out where Im wrong.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
IT is going to down as a fluke in the history of the team. Like Blount having 20/20 games.

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Rondo definitely took some cheap shots at Isaiah, and elbowed him a few times in the face after he put his hands up. There was one instance where Isaiah was headed to the half court, and Rondo sort of side swiped him in the face, and Isaiah was looking at the ref who was several feet away, but didn't get a single call.

Yes, Rondo hit Thomas rather blatantly in the head early on.  Then twice again right before the ejection, he hit him "passively" by having his arms up and his elbows forward as he kept moving aggressively into Thomas in order to 'defend' him.

Rondo was flagged for a flagrant one and then a technical, at which point he was ejected.
Thomas was flagged for a technical -- which probably will get rescinded -- and ejected.

Luke Walton was right to be p---ed off that Thomas got ejected as well.   Very poorly handled by the officials.  As per usual.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

Wow, can't disagree with this post more than I could express.
So I'll keep it short.

Rondo destroyed IT in the Bulls-Celtics Matchup. In fact, Rondo destroyed Brad Stevens gameplan and the rest of the Celtics. We avoided being swept soley due to his injury.

When in the history in the NBA has a player who played for 3 seasons for a team, been traded get to call his video tribute date? And on the same day as a player who is having a number hoisted to the banners.

Pierce should have called IT and spoken to him behind the scenes. That's all.

Rondo and IT both contribute wherever they are.
Let players scrap a bit. Love the fact that they are competitive.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-