Author Topic: Rondo, IT both ejected for getting tangled up & trash talk over IT video tribute  (Read 8027 times)

Re: Rondo and IT both ejected for getting tangled up
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 12:39:34 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Didn't see what Rondo was doing wrong as his hands were up the whole time but I'm guessing there was a lot of barking going on. Always loved Rondo's attitude before he decided not to play defense anymore. Glad to see he still has it
yeah based on the video that's a really really soft double ejection, but I imagine it was more of an accumulation thing.

Or things being said.  With the whole thing I think there may be things being said that are escalating things more than anything else.

What about things, too?  Or like, other things?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
My speculation was right, they fought over the IT tribute video. Once a Celtic always a Celtic

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22445251/rajon-rondo-isaiah-thomas-luke-walton-all-ejected-new-orleans-pelicans-los-angeles-lakers-game

Thomas said Rondo hit him in the face three times and brought up the video tribute the Celtics had planned for Thomas earlier this season, which became a source of controversy because Boston had planned it on the same day as Paul Pierce's jersey retirement ceremony.

"Whatever reason, he's an upset guy about me," Thomas said after Wednesday's game. "I don't know what it is, but it's fine. He kept bringing the tribute up when I was the one that shut the tribute down. I'm far past that. ... For me to be ejected was uncalled for."

Asked if he has had any other history with Rondo, Thomas said he didn't know.

"I mean, my team beat his team in the playoffs last year," Thomas sadi, referring to the Celtics beating the Chicago Bulls 4-2 in the first round last postseason. "Maybe that is what's wrong. I don't know. There's nothing. Nothing should've made that escalate like it did. He already had his agenda written down right when I checked into the game. It was obvious. He picked me up full court, trying to be physical.

"I don't know what was going on with him. I don't know why I got thrown out. I don't want to comment too much on it. ... It was obvious what was going on. He was being too aggressive for whatever reason, and he also hit me in the face three times. At some point, as a human, if no one is going to protect me, I got to protect myself, and that is when I spoke up and got upset. I hope the NBA figures something out with that, because it was wrong for me to be ejected."

Rondo, who did not talk to the media after the game, questioned last month why the Celtics were going to give Thomas a video tribute on the same night as Pierce's jersey ceremony. Rondo played in Boston for eight-plus seasons, winning an NBA title in 2008, and was traded shortly before Thomas was acquired in a trade later in the 2014-15 season. Thomas played three seasons for the Celtics before he was traded to Cleveland before this season.

"What has he done?" Rondo said to the Worcester Telegram and Gazette in January. When told that Thomas led the Celtics to the Eastern Conference finals last season, Rondo said, "Oh, that's what we celebrate around here?"

"This is the Boston Celtics," Rondo said. "This isn't the Phoenix Suns. No disrespect to any other organization, but you don't hang conference titles. Do we hang going to the conference finals? What do we hang here?"

The two point guards got tangled up twice Wednesday, and officials had to separate them the second time. The two exchanged words, and Rondo got heated when the pair were ejected with 33.3 seconds left.

Thomas said he was surprised by Rondo's comments last month about the video tribute.

"I think a lot of people were [surprised]," Thomas said. "I think the world made it bigger than what it was. Everybody who's been on a team for a while has gotten a video tribute. Patrick Beverley got one in Houston. Chris Paul got one with the Clippers. It's like, they didn't win no championship but it's just the respect thing.

"[Rondo] said what he said, I laughed it off," Thomas continued. "It was what it was. I'm the one that stopped the video tribute from happening because I wanted Paul Pierce to have his full night. I didn't want to take nothing from him. I know he played on Paul Pierce's team. He's gonna always have Paul Pierce's back, which is fine. I didn't lose sleep over it. It was obvious [that it] continued to be brought up with what happened tonight."

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
My speculation was right, they fought over the IT tribute video. Once a Celtic always a Celtic

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22445251/rajon-rondo-isaiah-thomas-luke-walton-all-ejected-new-orleans-pelicans-los-angeles-lakers-game

Thomas said Rondo hit him in the face three times and brought up the video tribute the Celtics had planned for Thomas earlier this season, which became a source of controversy because Boston had planned it on the same day as Paul Pierce's jersey retirement ceremony.

"Whatever reason, he's an upset guy about me," Thomas said after Wednesday's game. "I don't know what it is, but it's fine. He kept bringing the tribute up when I was the one that shut the tribute down. I'm far past that. ... For me to be ejected was uncalled for."

Asked if he has had any other history with Rondo, Thomas said he didn't know.

"I mean, my team beat his team in the playoffs last year," Thomas sadi, referring to the Celtics beating the Chicago Bulls 4-2 in the first round last postseason. "Maybe that is what's wrong. I don't know. There's nothing. Nothing should've made that escalate like it did. He already had his agenda written down right when I checked into the game. It was obvious. He picked me up full court, trying to be physical.

"I don't know what was going on with him. I don't know why I got thrown out. I don't want to comment too much on it. ... It was obvious what was going on. He was being too aggressive for whatever reason, and he also hit me in the face three times. At some point, as a human, if no one is going to protect me, I got to protect myself, and that is when I spoke up and got upset. I hope the NBA figures something out with that, because it was wrong for me to be ejected."

Rondo, who did not talk to the media after the game, questioned last month why the Celtics were going to give Thomas a video tribute on the same night as Pierce's jersey ceremony. Rondo played in Boston for eight-plus seasons, winning an NBA title in 2008, and was traded shortly before Thomas was acquired in a trade later in the 2014-15 season. Thomas played three seasons for the Celtics before he was traded to Cleveland before this season.

"What has he done?" Rondo said to the Worcester Telegram and Gazette in January. When told that Thomas led the Celtics to the Eastern Conference finals last season, Rondo said, "Oh, that's what we celebrate around here?"

"This is the Boston Celtics," Rondo said. "This isn't the Phoenix Suns. No disrespect to any other organization, but you don't hang conference titles. Do we hang going to the conference finals? What do we hang here?"

The two point guards got tangled up twice Wednesday, and officials had to separate them the second time. The two exchanged words, and Rondo got heated when the pair were ejected with 33.3 seconds left.

Thomas said he was surprised by Rondo's comments last month about the video tribute.

"I think a lot of people were [surprised]," Thomas said. "I think the world made it bigger than what it was. Everybody who's been on a team for a while has gotten a video tribute. Patrick Beverley got one in Houston. Chris Paul got one with the Clippers. It's like, they didn't win no championship but it's just the respect thing.

"[Rondo] said what he said, I laughed it off," Thomas continued. "It was what it was. I'm the one that stopped the video tribute from happening because I wanted Paul Pierce to have his full night. I didn't want to take nothing from him. I know he played on Paul Pierce's team. He's gonna always have Paul Pierce's back, which is fine. I didn't lose sleep over it. It was obvious [that it] continued to be brought up with what happened tonight."
“Hit me in the face three times” that is so untrue lol, what is he on about.

IT is coming off as pretty ridiculous. Rondo led Chicago to beating us twice, and then went down. You think he’d realise that.

Rondo clearly got under IT’s skin with the comments, and it’s beautiful
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I don't know who to side with...IT7 and his annoying brags about brinks trucks and video tributes and stuff, or Rondo who clearly has a good history of disliking players who formerly played for the Celtics (Ray Allen, and now IT7 although two completely different squads).

This is pretty funny.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I don't know who to side with...IT7 and his annoying brags about brinks trucks and video tributes and stuff, or Rondo who clearly has a good history of disliking players who formerly played for the Celtics (Ray Allen, and now IT7 although two completely different squads).

This is pretty funny.

I’m siding with Rondo on this one.  He’s still a Celtic:

I hope he comes back someday soon.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

This is pretty funny.

Yeah, I gotta side with Rondo as well.  He was traded away years ago (not the greatest years for him as well), and he still uses the 'we' pronoun when talking about the celtics.  Well that is all you need to know...it didn't look like form the video that anyone hit anyone else in the head.

IT gotta be mentally tougher than that though, cmon you can't let a few comments like that get under your skin.

Re: Rondo and IT both ejected for getting tangled up
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 01:53:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I love Rondo and miss him, but come on, IT last year single handedly led the team to the ECF and had MVP numbers (29/6). Rondo couldn't do that and ultimately stopped playing defense post the Big 3-Era, when it was essentially his team.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really don't think Isaiah deserves all the "dissing" he's getting from former Celtics players and the media.

And yeah, it's old news, but I still can't believe Pierce acted so insecure about Isaiah potentially having some 2-3 minute tribute video on his retirement day.

I don't see any reason to diss IT either, but it's not clear he surpassed Rondo in any way by having a big offensive season and reaching the ECF.

Rondo made 4 consecutive All-Star teams, 4 All-Defense teams, led the league in assists 3 times, won a championship as the starting PG, and was a monster in the playoffs even out-dueling LeBron at times. You don't think he could have put up even bigger stats if he wasn't deferring to the Big 3 all the time on those championships runs? If he played in a era where Westbrook actually averaged a triple double and wasn't even the best player in the league?

IT played 2 years and was a top-5 scorer on an ECF team once. Last year was great, but it takes a short memory to say IT > Rondo without hesitation.

To be fair to Phantom, his profile indicates he’s 19, so he was 9-13 during the height of Rondo’s magnificence, and thus might not legitimately remember or be able to have the correct perspective.
I'm in my mid teens and I think Rondo had a better career than IT so go figure, it's not all about age.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

This is pretty funny.

Yeah, I gotta side with Rondo as well.  He was traded away years ago (not the greatest years for him as well), and he still uses the 'we' pronoun when talking about the celtics.  Well that is all you need to know...it didn't look like form the video that anyone hit anyone else in the head.

IT gotta be mentally tougher than that though, cmon you can't let a few comments like that get under your skin.

That's true. The brotherhood is strong within Rondo, KG, and PP34. Always got their backs. IT7 did not deserve a video tribute IMO, and him being traded to the Lakers just made him look like a journeyman lol.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
As an avid Rondo supporter he needs to check himself, here.

Last time I checked I was vehemently defending his "Lack of Defense" comments right before Danny shipped him out of here to DAL.

I was defending his behavior in DAL - that gave Rick Carlylse headaches.

Rondo had every opportunity - with his talent level - to lead this BOS Celtics team to "An Eastern Conference Title". He didn't.

For him to riff on IT like this is childish and petty.

As much as I love Rajon Rondo he needs to be better than this.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Even MORE hypocritical is some of the folks on here HATING Rondo but NOW loving him because he's going after IT.

It IS true - Sports Fandom is RARELY rational. So true.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
His season was arguably the best of any Celtic since Bird. Not Rondo, not KG, maybe not even Pierce put up that type of season in green. He didn’t have a better Celtics career than any of those guys, but he was stellar last season.

They led the EC, winning 53 games and had no second scoring option. Clearly the second best team in the East.

You think Rondo could do that? I appreciate Rondo, having watched about 98% of his games in a Celtics uniform. He still bleeds green (despite not looking that way his last season and a half with us). But what’s his issue here? Was he worried IT would get a better reception/tribute than he did? IT gave us everything he had, physically and emotionally. Nobody can ever say that about Rondo. He dogged it more often than not. This literally has nothing to do with him and he went in for no apparent reason.

I get Pierce’s stance, it really didn’t feel personal. He just wanted his day to himself. And I can say I definitely preferred seeing all the Pierce tributes during timeouts than I would IT’s video. Wrong day for it, plain and simple.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
It's amazing how fans are still rooting for IT to fail on here.  Talk about beating a man while he is down.  We can all agree that he has been immature since the trade but Rondo was the clear instigator with all of the comments about the tribute.  All of a sudden Rondo is the "hero" because fans are enjoying IT's struggles.  Did Rondo "bleed green" when he refused to play defense after the big three era?  The more likely answer is that hindsight is making him finally appreciate his time in Boston. 

The irony is that IT made much more of an effort to express appreciation to the fan base than Rondo ever did.  For the record I do not dislike Rondo.  Everyone is different.  I don't even really care about the trash talk from last night.  It's just funny how his flaws get thrown out the window when he targets IT.

I've always maintained the position that IT's contributions during last season far outweigh any of the bickering that has happened since the trade.  No doubt he's sensitive but I can appreciate the fact that he truly cared about being a Celtic.  People completely disregard the human element of this.  The guy lost his sister, played through an injury that cost him a ton of money, and got traded away from the one organization that felt like home.   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:57:49 AM by Green-18 »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Rondo: You little...how dare you dare you think you can invade Paul Pierce night

IT: I backed down...it never happened! Stop hitting my face

Rondo: how dare you...

;D ;D

Honestly what the heck is going on... Two former Celts fighting like this

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It's amazing how fans are still rooting for IT to fail on here

I am not rooting for IT to fail but there are few teams I despise, the Cavs are one and the Lakers are yet another.  I don't think I could ever root for either of these teams.