Author Topic: Moving Screens: What are the refs watching?  (Read 1104 times)

Moving Screens: What are the refs watching?
« on: February 13, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »

Offline G-Bones

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 89
What is the deal with the moving screens this year?  I watched Gortat look like a pulling offensive lineman from the NFL against the Celtics the other night.  The Cavs had moving screen after moving screen against the Celtics on Sunday.  It makes watching the game unbearable.  Are the refs blind?  What is going on???? 

Re: Moving Screens: What are the refs watching?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 10:34:50 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The NBA turns a blind eye to this because this is a huge part of the modern 3 point meme chucking playstyle, which people find enjoyable.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 10:34:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I miss Perk and KGs moving screens, now THOSE were legit moving screens

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:53:34 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Yeah I promised myself I wouldnt complain about moving screens ever again after watching KG
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 09:46:16 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It’s generally okay to move into a guy as long as it isn’t with too much force and you’re squared up more or less.  I’m fine with it.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Last year they called them, this year they don't.

Not totally related, but Monroe sets a helluva screen.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Yeah, the Cavs are great at the moving screen. They did it in the playoffs last year quite a bit.
San Antonio used to be the best at it.

Don't usually get upset at NBA refs anymore. Sometimes they call the game like a street ball game letting most things pass. I guess it's to speed up the game.

One thing they are fairly consistent about is calling foul if a player is hit on the elbow or forearm when shooting a shot in the open court.

The best news is that refs have cut way down on calling the crash-through-the-middle-and-pray-the-ref-bails-you-out shots like Isaiah loved to take.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
What is the deal with the moving screens this year?  I watched Gortat look like a pulling offensive lineman from the NFL against the Celtics the other night.  The Cavs had moving screen after moving screen against the Celtics on Sunday.  It makes watching the game unbearable.  Are the refs blind?  What is going on????

Gortat must have dirt on all the refs in this league. I do not think I have ever seen him with a legit screen. AND, with him, they are not even subtle.

KG was also awesome at it.

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Gortat must have dirt on all the refs in this league. I do not think I have ever seen him with a legit screen. AND, with him, they are not even subtle.

KG was also awesome at it.
I don't think I've seen KG set a legal screen in his entire Celtics tenure. Nothing egregious, but he'd always lean into the guy that he's picking.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 01:41:47 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Yeah I promised myself I wouldnt complain about moving screens ever again after watching KG

True. Plus I've noticed quite a few instances this season of a Celtics big, such as Horford or Baynes or Theis, using what looks like a seal-off or boxout (but is basically a moving screen) when they see a teammate (such as Kyrie) taking the ball to the hoop. I mean, you're not supposed to be able to box out or seal off a guy until a shot has gone up.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 02:38:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Basically if you aren't lowering a shoulder into someone or trying to hipcheck them, you can get away with moving screens. It not like Horford and Baynes doesn't do it a ton. And Brown and Tatum use a ton of arm in pushing off while setting picks. No biggie as long as the refs are calling it the same way for both teams in a game.