Author Topic: Lifshatz: Celtics and Pelicans had serious talks regarding Davis over summer  (Read 3283 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://twitter.com/DanLifshatz/status/963283763374514176.

--Says Pelicans realize AD is likely going to walk in FA and that AD has told them that. Apparently Pelicans and Celtics had "real serious talks" about AD last summer. They weren't close to a trade but groundwork was laid. Says Demps trading AD is more likely with the injury to Cousins because he thinks Cousins will leave and the Holiday contract is bad, so he might have no choice as the team realizes it can't win. Says the difference in situations between the Cousins trade and possible AD trade is that the Kings had been considering moving DeMarcus for years, but the Pelicans have only been seriously considering moving AD for a shorter time period. Also not moving AD would be cap hell for them with all the bad contracts.
--Celtics will try to hold on to Tatum in a trade if they can. Says a lot of people around the league think Jaylen could be Jimmy Butler eventually so his value is high. Also says along with the Lakers/Kings pick, the Memphis pick has a ton of value league-wide as well.
--Says if the Pelicans don't move AD this summer, the return for AD will be significantly less, kind of like PG13.

--Says that the Celtics felt Monroe was the most realistic target and that they wanted Tyreke, but at the right price. Says the offer of Yabusele and 2 seconds never occurred, it was Larkin/Nader and 2 seconds. Also, one of the second-rounders would be heavily protected. However, says the guy Memphis wanted all along was Marcus Smart, and Danny would never do that swap straight-up.
--Says Celtics wanted good player(s) and a first for Smart.
--Says he's heard the AD situation could be like the Cousins one, no one thought they'd trade Cousins after building their new arena, and then he was moved. Says Dell Demps will likely be fired, which could trigger a lot of roster moves, including AD. Of course, says their first choice is to re-sign Cousins if Demps stays, and Demps will not want to move AD, but he might have to.
--Heard people around the league think Cousins will never be the same player after the injury. Says it could help Pelicans keep him, hears LA and even Houston make sense and will likely pursue him

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How much of that is real? 5%? 15% absolute maximum, right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Wouldn't trade Nader/Larkin and two 2nds for Evans?? UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Celtics will try to hold on to Tatum in a trade if they can.

I would not hesitate to trade Tatum if we are getting Davis back in return.  Our starting 5 next season would be:

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

I like that all day long.   Right now, Tatum seems to have more promise than Brown but you never know.  Plus Hayward and Tatum are both natural SF (yes, I still like the old positions) so one of them would be playing out of position.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I think the implication is that we offered this and Memphis said no, not the other way around.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I would not hesitate to trade Tatum if we are getting Davis back in return.  Our starting 5 next season would be:

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

I like that all day long.   Right now, Tatum seems to have more promise than Brown but you never know.  Plus Hayward and Tatum are both natural SF (yes, I still like the old positions) so one of them would be playing out of position.

you think we can fleece them with a Brown + our first for him instead of Tatum

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

It sounds like this was our offer, but Memphis wanted Smart.

If true, there's obviously a large disconnect there and it's no surprise that no deal was completed. 

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Wasn’t this the car salesman guy from a few summers back that was spewing all kinds of BS Celtics rumors?

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Wasn’t this the car salesman guy from a few summers back that was spewing all kinds of BS Celtics rumors?
No, that was a different bozo (although I can see how they look alike a littlle bit)

https://twitter.com/stonewallsieve

That dude pretty much ran a publicity stunt to prop the basketball website that he opened right after his nonsense blew over.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
lifshatz is from 98.5

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
No, that was a different bozo (although I can see how they look alike a littlle bit)

https://twitter.com/stonewallsieve

That dude pretty much ran a publicity stunt to prop the basketball website that he opened right after his nonsense blew over.
why do car salesmen have to be such snakes so much of the time

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Irving
Brown
Hayward
Davis
Horford

I got the impression that they would want both Tatum and Brown. Assuming, of course, that there is any truth to the statement.

The Lexus guy! I forgot all about him!

Mike

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lifshatz may as well be the deli guy.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Don’t understand why Davis would be traded anytime soon.   He has three more full seasons after this year under contract? 

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I say new Orleans won't trade Davis until final year of his contract if then
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin