Author Topic: Retire KG's jersey?  (Read 21027 times)

Re: Retire KG's jersey?
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 10:02:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, Ray bled Green, too -
Why, because he wore a JoJo jersey when he was in middle school? Come on now. He bolted this team the moment the grind got hard. His jersey isn't going in the rafters. KG's is. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

If we take Ray at his word, he said he left to Miami for his family. If that's true, I get it. The wife and kids always win in these decisions, and sometimes its hard to explain that to your friends so you just don't talk about it.
No, not always. If they did, Tom Brady would have retired years ago.

Plus, I don't believe him. That's the first time I hear the story anyway, and you'd think he'd have explained that to someone  in the organization on the way out (especially if he bled as green as our friend GF1819 here suggests).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm going to take the contrarian view on this - there are too many retired numbers.  Personally I think the only numbers that should be out of circulation are Russell's, Tommy's, Cousy's and Bird's. Maybe Havlicek.  And then you do a ring of honor for the rest.

You could make an argument for Pierce's # being retired because he played so many years - just one title however.  KG was only here for a few years.  He to me would be a Ring of Honor guy.

Forget Ray Allen...one of my favorite players in recent memory but not good enough to have his number retired.  He might be a Ring of Honor guy - maybe.  He to me is in the Max, Parrish, DJ category - and not as good as DJ.

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I love KG, but IMHO no.  He had one great year here, an injury, and then a couple more very good ones before he declined. 

Just don’t think he did enough here.  Compare his Celtics achievements to those of other greats - guys who dominated for 10+ years in Boston.

Minnesota should hang his number, but not Boston.

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Why, because he wore a JoJo jersey when he was in middle school? Come on now. He bolted this team the moment the grind got hard. His jersey isn't going in the rafters. KG's is. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when.

If we take Ray at his word, he said he left to Miami for his family. If that's true, I get it. The wife and kids always win in these decisions, and sometimes its hard to explain that to your friends so you just don't talk about it.

Plus, I don't believe him. That's the first time I hear the story anyway, and you'd think he'd have explained that to someone  in the organization on the way out (especially if he bled as green as our friend GF1819 here suggests).

Well, there's only one Tom Brady. 99.99% of all NFL players would have retired well before his age. He's defying science.

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 11:45:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I love KG, but IMHO no.  He had one great year here, an injury, and then a couple more very good ones before he declined. 

Just don’t think he did enough here.  Compare his Celtics achievements to those of other greats - guys who dominated for 10+ years in Boston.

Minnesota should hang his number, but not Boston.
Interestingly enough, I think he might be have the greatest Celtics career of any player without a retired number.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Pierce: "KGs number is next to be retired. Its going to happen."
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2018, 01:30:49 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22429293/paul-pierce-says-boston-celtics-retire-no-5-honor-kevin-garnett

Sounds like an opinion and not a matter of fact. Ainge says ownership will make final decision
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:37:10 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 02:01:38 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Or - he bolted for MIA as his CHOICE before Danny Ainge traded him to Timbuktu.

Come on now...this has been discussed on here Ad Infinitum.

Let's be real, here....at this rate Uncle Drew had BETTER be looking ahead at HIS "PREFERRED" destination in a few years....rather than Danny's.

LOOK - you / we can say the old tired adage - "The NBA is a Business". I get it. But i'm certain you're tearing away the threads of LOYALTY when you dangle players out there like that.

At least Ray got a warning.

You know...I so glad that Larry and Kevin got to ride off into the sunset in Celtic Green. But I realize these are different times now.

Ray made his choice and I respect him for it.

He'll ALWAYS be a Celtic, to me.

Re: Pierce: "KGs number is next to be retired. Its going to happen."
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 02:07:04 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
IT should happen....period.

No KG no banner 17...cant say the same with Ray...because in 2009 ray was ther and PP was there had 60 wins and we still lost in round 2..KG is the ultimate catalyst and defensive anchor .

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 02:36:52 AM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Shouldn't happen IMO. Would ruin the prestige of the Celtics. Can't go retiring a jersey just because he help win a title. And if you retire KG jersey, you gotta retire Rays. There is no KG without Ray.

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:42 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Shouldn't happen IMO. Would ruin the prestige of the Celtics. Can't go retiring a jersey just because he help win a title. And if you retire KG jersey, you gotta retire Rays. There is no KG without Ray.

How does it ruin the prestige? We’ve has guys retired who have won less than multiple titles. We’ve had guys retired who didn’t play a decade with the franchise. You don’t have to retire Ray because you retire KG.

KG meant more to this team, always. On and off the court. Don’t compare them just because Ray was the third best player on the team. Fact is KG made the ASG five of his six seasons here, won DPOY, was All-NBA 1st once and All-Defense 4 times. Got MVP votes in two different seasons. Ray? Made three all-star teams. That’s it.

Slipped in at the end of the article was Paul saying KG won’t have his number retired in Minny until the team is sold.... what’s that about?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 03:50:27 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I just can’t wrap my head around why his wife and kids would want to be in Miami. MA seems to have much better towns to raise families and their healthcare is top notch for a family with a child like Ray’s.

I can’t see his wife wanting a professional basketball player hanging out in Miami Beach.

Maybe she wanted to move to Vegas after he retired. Great place to raise a family (and get catfished?).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 03:55:55 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

How does it ruin the prestige? We’ve has guys retired who have won less than multiple titles. We’ve had guys retired who didn’t play a decade with the franchise. You don’t have to retire Ray because you retire KG.

KG meant more to this team, always. On and off the court. Don’t compare them just because Ray was the third best player on the team. Fact is KG made the ASG five of his six seasons here, won DPOY, was All-NBA 1st once and All-Defense 4 times. Got MVP votes in two different seasons. Ray? Made three all-star teams. That’s it.

Slipped in at the end of the article was Paul saying KG won’t have his number retired in Minny until the team is sold.... what’s that about?
Current ownership and KG are at odds.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twincities.com/2017/04/18/retired-kg-still-has-itch-for-playing-beef-with-t-wolves-2/amp/
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2018, 03:57:36 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
I don't get why KG and Ray have to be equally deserving of a retired number.

KGs impact on and off the floor towers over Rays. They really weren't that similar level players here.

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2018, 04:52:18 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I am sick of serial retiring of jersey's, in the rafters should be: 6 (Bill Russell), 14 (Bob Cousy), 15 (Tom Heinsohn), 33 (Larry Bird), 35 (Reggie Lewis) and that is it. To have your number retired you should be a transcendent player not only for the Celtics but for the sport. Tommy should have his retired because of the sheer longevity to services to the sport and Celtics and Reggie out of respect. It doesn't mean you can't honour your old players and recognise their greatness perhaps with a Celtics own Hall of Fame or a TD Garden Hall of Fame. KG was with Boston for 6 years only and really at an elite level for 3-4, if he got his Celtics number retired it would show how trivial the huge honour has become.

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2018, 05:42:39 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I am sick of serial retiring of jersey's, in the rafters should be: 6 (Bill Russell), 14 (Bob Cousy), 15 (Tom Heinsohn), 33 (Larry Bird), 35 (Reggie Lewis) and that is it. To have your number retired you should be a transcendent player not only for the Celtics but for the sport. Tommy should have his retired because of the sheer longevity of services to the sport and Celtics and Reggie out of respect. It doesn't mean you can't honor your old players and recognize their greatness perhaps with a Celtics own Hall of Fame or a TD Garden Hall of Fame. KG was with Boston for 6 years only and really at an elite level for 3-4, if he got his Celtics number retired it would show how trivial the huge honor has become.
We are a special franchise.
Along with the Knicks longest existing, we won the most titles too.
We have many deserving guys. Hondo? Mchale, Parish?
It is not like we are the Heat that retired MJ's jersey.

However, with time, I would consider the availability of the numbers that are in the rafters.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."