Author Topic: Retire KG's jersey?  (Read 21046 times)

Re: Retire KG's jersey?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2018, 06:27:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's going to happen. No one has worn his number since. He constantly says he identifies as being a Celtic more than anything. And then we found out yesterday that he says behind the scenes that he wished he had come to Boston 5 years earlier. #5 will go to the rafters.

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It's going to happen. No one has worn his number since. He constantly says he identifies as being a Celtic more than anything. And then we found out yesterday that he says behind the scenes that he wished he had come to Boston 5 years earlier. #5 will go to the rafters.
5 years earlier he may not have liked it as much, though. 2003 wasn't a great to be a Celtics fan, much less a player.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
We don't win a ring without KG. He should be retired.
we don't win a ring without Allen either.  Should he also go up?

No. 

There is a discernible difference btw the two.  It was there in the summer of '07 and it continued to be there during the years of contention.   KG & Ray never were equals.   That's before even getting into any of the MIA stuff (which actually doesn't move the needle for me one way or another).

The KG acquisition changed everything.  It put the Celtics back on the map for the casual fans in the area.  It's what got them plastered all over national tv.  KG is what created the buzz, changed the culture, & ultimately was the anchor on those teams. 

KG & Ray never were equals.   This isn't a basketball skill thing.
I was mostly playing devils advocate but I don't believe either should be in the rafters, but to continue the devils advocate theme, without Allen there is no KG and without both there is no title.  Additionally when Allen left the team fell off the map.  I really do think you can make a legit argument that Allen was the player that made those teams go.  Without his shooting the team just wasn't very good.  He made that offense go just as much as KG made the defense go and the reality is offense is and always has been more important then defense when looking at real contenders.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2018, 07:07:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
5 years earlier he may not have liked it as much, though. 2003 wasn't a great to be a Celtics fan, much less a player.
You don't think KG would have made things very different? Never mind don't answer that, its irrelevent, much like your comment since I was just restating what was said yesterday.

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 07:30:54 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

An in his prime KG, and an about to be in his prime Pierce would have run rough shod on the league at that time.

It would have been an amazing time to be a Celtics fan.  And players would have been lining up for the opportunity to play along side them.

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

An in his prime KG, and an about to be in his prime Pierce would have run rough shod on the league at that time.

It would have been an amazing time to be a Celtics fan.  And players would have been lining up for the opportunity to play along side them.
Probably, but the middle of the O'Brien/Carroll transition season isn't a time when I would wish anyone to end up in Boston.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 08:10:17 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Quote from: A Future of Stevens link=topic=95404.msg2460430#msg2460430 date=151846585
[/quote

No..because KG wasnt there in 2009 and we didnt win then. Ray Allen was and he didnt lead us to anything...argument is flawd...KG should be retired.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:18:34 PM by bopna »

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This is the list of Celtics players who's numbers I'd retire before Ray Allen......

Every single one.

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Certainly.

And I'm hoping that things thaw over time to where we can retire Ray's here as well.

The BIG THREE won Banner 17, not the BIG TWO. Things didn't reportedly go south between Ray and Co. until sometime after Banner 17 - and TBH it's petty in the larger scheme of things.

The Boston Celtics are a class organization and I'd hope that they'd consider putting Ray's up there as well.

Ray Allen was one of the most clutchest, cold-blooded shooters that BOS has EVER had - just ask Sasha Vujacic.

He's going to be a first ballot HOFer I'm certain.

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 09:36:02 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think Allen has frankly buried himself from being honored by the Celtics with a retirement ceremony. The fact that he was out golfing instead of attending the game with KG, Rondo and Doc shows even he isn't willing to bury the hatchet and embrace his celtics time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/11/ray-allen-goes-golfing-while-kevin-garnett-and-rajon-rondo-attend-paul-pierce-tribute/?utm_term=.6c371908018d

I just don't see how he gets honored. Some of it is on these celtics guys, but Allen isn't doing himself any favors.

It seems passive aggressive. Publicizing what he was doing with a photo on Instagram.

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2018, 09:39:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Certainly.

And I'm hoping that things thaw over time to where we can retire Ray's here as well.

The BIG THREE won Banner 17, not the BIG TWO. Things didn't reportedly go south between Ray and Co. until sometime after Banner 17 - and TBH it's petty in the larger scheme of things.

The Boston Celtics are a class organization and I'd hope that they'd consider putting Ray's up there as well.

Ray Allen was one of the most clutchest, cold-blooded shooters that BOS has EVER had - just ask Sasha Vujacic.

Ray can get his number retired by the Heat

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Don't know about rafters but KG was the man that changed the culture of Celtics. Before KG Doc was just treading water. PP was traveling down the Antione Walker road. Always thought Walker was a bad influence. KG taught Doc and PP what it took to be a winner.

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:05 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Probably, but the middle of the O'Brien/Carroll transition season isn't a time when I would wish anyone to end up in Boston.

Surely you don’t recall just how dominant KG was back then. The team he carried to what, 57 wins and first place in the tough West?

Surely KG and Pierce would have run through that weak East (sans Detroit) with ease. And Doc would’ve been not far behind and could have come sooner with those two.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 01:01:47 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Certainly.

No way Ray's number should be up there.

Forget the way he left. Just didnt do enough when he was here. KG was the best player on the team and is credited for completely changing the team culture. Ray was the 3rd best player on the team and by the 2010 he was the 4th best player. He also had 1 less year than KG.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 01:03:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

No. 

There is a discernible difference btw the two.  It was there in the summer of '07 and it continued to be there during the years of contention.   KG & Ray never were equals.   That's before even getting into any of the MIA stuff (which actually doesn't move the needle for me one way or another).

The KG acquisition changed everything.  It put the Celtics back on the map for the casual fans in the area.  It's what got them plastered all over national tv.  KG is what created the buzz, changed the culture, & ultimately was the anchor on those teams. 

KG & Ray never were equals.   This isn't a basketball skill thing.
I was mostly playing devils advocate but I don't believe either should be in the rafters, but to continue the devils advocate theme, without Allen there is no KG and without both there is no title.  Additionally when Allen left the team fell off the map.  I really do think you can make a legit argument that Allen was the player that made those teams go.  Without his shooting the team just wasn't very good.  He made that offense go just as much as KG made the defense go and the reality is offense is and always has been more important then defense when looking at real contenders.
Dont hide behind "devils advocate"

Do you really believe that Ray Allen and KG were of similar importance?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.