Author Topic: Retire KG's jersey?  (Read 21036 times)

Re: Retire KG's jersey?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 04:43:32 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
We don't win a ring without KG. He should be retired.
we don't win a ring without Allen either.  Should he also go up?

No on Allen because he dumped us for LeBron. He is OUT!

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
KG yes, Judas Allen, no....

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 04:49:15 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Can the bulls retire Rasheed wallace?

Most pts scores for the bulls by a Celtics player

https://youtu.be/gD4CLCwH0uA

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I think Allen has frankly buried himself from being honored by the Celtics with a retirement ceremony. The fact that he was out golfing instead of attending the game with KG, Rondo and Doc shows even he isn't willing to bury the hatchet and embrace his celtics time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/02/11/ray-allen-goes-golfing-while-kevin-garnett-and-rajon-rondo-attend-paul-pierce-tribute/?utm_term=.6c371908018d

I just don't see how he gets honored. Some of it is on these celtics guys, but Allen isn't doing himself any favors.

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 04:54:40 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Have there been two teams that have retired the same players number? I think the Celtics (and Timberwolves) should retire KG's number.

I can't remember a player having as significant of an impact on the Celtics as KG had, since Larry Bird. I still believe KG should have easily been name the MVP in the 2007/2008 season, over Kobe. I also believe that the Celtics win 3 titles in a row, if it wasn't for KG's knee injury that he suffered in Utah in the 2008/2009 season. Numbers alone couldn't define his impact. Naturally, Pierce and Allen also had significant impacts, but the addition of Garnett raised everyone's game/ability/expectation to the nth degree.

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

nope

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

No. 

There is a discernible difference btw the two.  It was there in the summer of '07 and it continued to be there during the years of contention.   KG & Ray never were equals.   That's before even getting into any of the MIA stuff (which actually doesn't move the needle for me one way or another).

The KG acquisition changed everything.  It put the Celtics back on the map for the casual fans in the area.  It's what got them plastered all over national tv.  KG is what created the buzz, changed the culture, & ultimately was the anchor on those teams. 

KG & Ray never were equals.   This isn't a basketball skill thing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 05:03:29 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It’s only fitting that there is one blank square left next to #34.

I think they may be waiting for Minnesota to do it first? He’s clearly so beloved here (got the loudest ovations every time is was shown/mentioned), so it’s only a matter of time. He changed not only the culture here, but how others view this city.

I will say it’s a true shame when Pierce (and Garnett) gets his number retired and Ray not only isn’t  there, but no video, letter, anything. Barely mentioned and nothing more. Never would I have imagined how bad the blood would be between Ray and the team.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 05:15:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It’s only fitting that there is one blank square left next to #34.

I think they may be waiting for Minnesota to do it first? He’s clearly so beloved here (got the loudest ovations every time is was shown/mentioned), so it’s only a matter of time. He changed not only the culture here, but how others view this city.

I will say it’s a true shame when Pierce (and Garnett) gets his number retired and Ray not only isn’t  there, but no video, letter, anything. Barely mentioned and nothing more. Never would I have imagined how bad the blood would be between Ray and the team.
That. Also, I'm sure we wanted to retire Pierce's number first, and perhaps space the ceremonies a little bit. I wouldn't be at all surprised if 5 goes up next to 34 as early as next year.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 05:20:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'm sure they will but I wouldn't. I wouldn't have retired Maxwell's or Don Nelson's numbers either.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

No. 

There is a discernible difference btw the two.  It was there in the summer of '07 and it continued to be there during the years of contention.   KG & Ray never were equals.   That's before even getting into any of the MIA stuff (which actually doesn't move the needle for me one way or another).

The KG acquisition changed everything.  It put the Celtics back on the map for the casual fans in the area.  It's what got them plastered all over national tv.  KG is what created the buzz, changed the culture, & ultimately was the anchor on those teams. 

KG & Ray never were equals.   This isn't a basketball skill thing.

Completely agree with your take.  When we traded for Ray, it was like, ohh cool, that is great, great player great shooter take some pressure off of Paul.  When we traded for KG, it was like an earthquake.  KG was way bigger in our culture change, and flip from worst to best.  Ray definitely contributed to that, but it wasn't happening without KG.

I doubt Ray should get his jersey retired, I kind of think not, but I can see why some feel he should.  I am sure the circumstances around his leaving the team probably contribute to the discussion. 

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
KG is definitely getting retired. He personifies everything it was to be a Celtic

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 06:10:05 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I am getting mixed signals from people on this and man I hope they retire his number.  Grande has seemed to suggest there is zero chance it doesn't happen, while in contrast I saw Paul Pierce say it will be a long time before they retire another number.

So deserved and an absolute all time great player of a very special level.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I am getting mixed signals from people on this and man I hope they retire his number.  Grande has seemed to suggest there is zero chance it doesn't happen, while in contrast I saw Paul Pierce say it will be a long time before they retire another number.

So deserved and an absolute all time great player of a very special level.

Paul insinuated on the Jump on ESPN that 5 is going next to him next season. Not sure if he is simply suggesting it or knows it.

I remember when they played his video tribute when Pierce and he returned with Brooklyn, it ended with a spotlight on an empty square.

It’ll happen, just a matter of when. Considering KG’s quirky personality, he may want to wait a bit.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 06:26:42 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Paul insinuated on the Jump on ESPN that 5 is going next to him next season. Not sure if he is simply suggesting it or knows it.

Ah that's good.  I just saw a headline by Himmelsbach that he said it would be a long time before another so maybe I was mistaken.

As I said, I really hope so.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford