Author Topic: Boston police sent Black History Month tribute to Red Auerbach...  (Read 1228 times)

Re: Boston police sent Black History Month tribute to Red Auerbach...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:19:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 389
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Kind of weird that they did that, and slightly unprofessional. I think if they had honored Red Auerbach and Bill Russell together, since they were both memorable icons in shifting racism, I think that would've maybe taken the heat off them. Still not that smart of a job... Who thought that would've flown by well lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 12:28:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1215
Kind of weird that they did that, and slightly unprofessional. I think if they had honored Red Auerbach and Bill Russell together, since they were both memorable icons in shifting racism, I think that would've maybe taken the heat off them. Still not that smart of a job... Who thought that would've flown by well lol.
They are doing one person a day the entire month. You'd think folks who keep harping about "dismantling systemic racism" would not lose their collective mind over having a day for one of the guys who was instrumental for said process in the NBA.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:33:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1094
But doesn't Red deserve to be acknowledged?

I mean the guy was pretty much a leader for his time in trying to set the example of racial equality.

People complaining about this are either ignorant or racist themselves.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:40:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 389
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I mean the guy was pretty much a leader for his time in trying to set the example of racial equality.

They are doing one person a day the entire month. You'd think folks who keep harping about "dismantling systemic racism" would not lose their collective mind over having a day for one of the guys who was instrumental for said process in the NBA.

Well with how hard pressed and sensitive people nowadays are... I'm not surprised they received much backlash, but didn't know about the 1 day a time thing.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:45:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1215

Well with how hard pressed and sensitive people nowadays are... I'm not surprised they received much backlash, but didn't know about the 1 day a time thing.
I'm not surprised either, but I just saw this banner today morning, and the combination of the two gave me a good chuckle.

(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 491
Do these hypersensitive types realize they are making things worse, not better? Combating racism should be about bringing people together, not fingerpointing and undermining others' good intentions. Do they even care at this point or do they just like the sound of their own voices?

I live in a rural white blue-collar area and the people around here are tired of this narrative about white privilege.

The left is in danger of losing an entire generation of voters in places like this. It needs to stop so we can focus on the real problems afflicting the nation, problems that are crushing both poor blacks and whites alike - poverty, health, infrastructure, etc. Issues we can actually win.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 798
Red Auerbach deserves the honor. He was largely responsible for incredible advances in Civil Rights:

1. First GM to start an all-black team in the NBA
2. First GM to hire a black coach.
3. First, to draft a black player.

Makes me proud to be a Celtic fan!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:21:24 PM by footey »

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:32:05 PM »

Offline mef730

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 473

Didn't know about that (one person per day) and it makes a difference.

Mike
Want to learn about frequent flyer miles and flying well for free? Check out my blog here: http://frequentflyermiles101.com/

Actually, check it out even if you don't want to. It'll make me feel good.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27916
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Red Auerbach deserves the honor. He was largely responsible for incredible advances in Civil Rights:

1. First GM to start an all-black team in the NBA
2. First GM to hire a black coach.
3. First, to draft a black player.

Makes me proud to be a Celtic fan!!

Yep. As one of the Globe writers said, it’s black history month, not black achievers month. Red Auerbach was hugely influential toward black history.  He did this in the same city where Tom Yawkey was actively holding blacks back.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 05:09:14 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • Forever LIT
Are there not 28 black people the city of Boston could honor?

Also, if the idea is to honor a white person who allowed other black people to make history, then what would be the point of black history month?

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 05:38:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27916
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Are there not 28 black people the city of Boston could honor?

Also, if the idea is to honor a white person who allowed other black people to make history, then what would be the point of black history month?

The point is to honor and remember our joint history by recognizing the efforts of those who changed civil rights in a positive way.

I mean, not to be flip, but who contributed more to civil rights, George Washington Carver or Red Auerbach?

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 06:27:50 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 898
Do these hypersensitive types realize they are making things worse, not better? Combating racism should be about bringing people together, not fingerpointing and undermining others' good intentions. Do they even care at this point or do they just like the sound of their own voices?

I live in a rural white blue-collar area and the people around here are tired of this narrative about white privilege.

The left is in danger of losing an entire generation of voters in places like this. It needs to stop so we can focus on the real problems afflicting the nation, problems that are crushing both poor blacks and whites alike - poverty, health, infrastructure, etc. Issues we can actually win.

TP, and well said.

What these critics are saying, in my view, is that it's racist to even point out any whites who helped blacks. I'm thinking, do you want help from white people or not?

And speaking as someone who comes from a rural, white, blue-collar area (central Maine)—where there is nothing that screams "privilege" of any kind—I can say that I'm totally tired of the narrative about white privilege, regardless of how much truth there is to it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 06:48:18 PM »

Online nickagneta

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 5233
I understand the sentiment behind honoring Red Auerbach, but during Black History Month, it just wasn't a smart move. I mean the BPD took down the tweet then immediately went to honoring Bill Russell. Why not just name Bill in the first place considering all the racism he had to overcome in this city besides doing what he did to advance the plight of blacks in Boston?

I understand what the are trying to do with the Red Auerbach posted and agree he helped to end discrimination against blacks in sports. But it was a very stupid move to make him one of 28 honorees this month.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1094
I understand the sentiment behind honoring Red Auerbach, but during Black History Month, it just wasn't a smart move. I mean the BPD took down the tweet then immediately went to honoring Bill Russell. Why not just name Bill in the first place considering all the racism he had to overcome in this city besides doing what he did to advance the plight of blacks in Boston?

I understand what the are trying to do with the Red Auerbach posted and agree he helped to end discrimination against blacks in sports. But it was a very stupid move to make him one of 28 honorees this month.

It seems to me what the Boston Police Department was trying to accomplish here was to acknowledge and honor those in the Boston community that contributed the most towards the goal of racial equality, specifically for black people.

By that measure, Red absolutely deserves to be honored, based on the merits of his efforts and accomplishments towards the goal of racial equality for black people.  To say that it was a "very stupid move" implies that Red should not have been honored, not based on the merits, but due to the color of his skin.  That is the definition of racism.

The BPD was right to honor Red, and very wrong to succumb to the unwarranted and unjust public backlash they received.  This doesn't mean they couldn't, and shouldn't, also have honored Bill Russell.  There's room to honor both.