Poll

70% of the way through the season and #2 in the conference. Just how far will this team go?

Lose in first round: All pessimism all the time
0 (0%)
Knocked out in second round. CLE or WAS are too much.
9 (40.9%)
Gone in the conference finals. Toronto is simply too good this year.
4 (18.2%)
Lose in the Finals. Almost there...
8 (36.4%)
Banner 18!
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Playoffs Poll: How Far Do The Celtics Go?  (Read 1010 times)

Playoffs Poll: How Far Do The Celtics Go?
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:11:20 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I'm assuming that the top 2 are set, with Toronto and Boston in some order, likely that one. Cleveland has improved but, with only 24 games remaining, they'll have a tough time catching us statistically. I'm assuming that the Wizards or Bucks don't catch them for third. Feel free to use whatever assumptions you like.

A few weeks ago, I would have been hopeful that we would make it to the Conference finals. Sadly, I've slipped to "Out in the second round."

I don't even like the idea of potentially playing Miami in the first round, since we always have trouble with them, but I'm not that pessimistic.

Mike

Re: Playoffs Poll: How Far Do The Celtics Go?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:43 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Terrible choices. 

No way the Celtics lose to Toronto in the East finals.   Toronto's best players play very small in the playoffs. 

And the Celtics will make the East finals. 

Cavs vs. Celtics in the East finals is what I would expect.  (and yes, I expect the Celtics to get out of their mid season lull.  I expect the Raptors to have a similar stretch in the near future)

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 11:19:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Terrible choices. 

No way the Celtics lose to Toronto in the East finals.   Toronto's best players play very small in the playoffs. 

Cavs vs. Celtics in the East finals is what I would expect.  (and yes, I expect the Celtics to get out of their mid season lull.  I expect the Raptors to have a similar stretch in the near future)
I honestly don't see Toronto not being the 1 seed and with the trades can't see Cleveland falling out of 3, so the Cavs and Celtics will meet in the 2nd round (if Boston gets there).  I don't see Boston beating Cleveland in the playoffs this year, so 2nd round is the peak.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:35:57 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Terrible choices. 

Toronto lost to the Cavs in each of the last two postseasons.  They were able to win against everyone else despite inconsistent play from Lowry and Derrozan.  Now they have a much better and more athletic bench.  You can't ignore the fact that the Raptors are #3 in offensive efficiency and #4 in defensive efficiency.  They never approached this in past seasons.  It's hard to call it a fluke nearly 60 games deep.

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 11:39:03 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
We will luckily win the 1st round but will be spanked by anyone in the 2nd round.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's too soon to make a prediction without a better idea of the standings.

I have confidence that this team will make it past round 1.  Miami, Indy, Philly -- these teams are well coached and have some dangerous pieces but I think the Celts can beat them.

If it's Celts at 2 and Cavs at 3, I want to believe the Celts will find a way past the Cavs in round 2, but they could just as easily lose.

In the ECF, I think a matchup with Toronto would be tough but winnable, given that Toronto's game doesn't translate well to the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toronto, as the 1 seed, loses in the second round to Washington or Milwaukee, however.  Heck, even Indiana seems capable of pulling off that feat.

I'd be worried about the Celts in a series against Giannis.  Washington wouldn't scare me though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I think our lack of experience and age will show in the playoff.
How far we go depends on the opponent .

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think this poll is really a “Do you expect Hayward back?” kind of poll.  Based on the recent news that he’ll begin traveling with the team in March, I absolutely do expect him back this year.  Traveling with the team means he’s far enough along in his rehab that they’ll hope to get him involved in on-court activities with coaches and teammates during practices on road trips. (If you look at the schedule there are numerous off-days on March road trips, including even a 2-day break between games in Chicago and Minnesota in early March, which will probably allow for a full practice.)

Getting Hayward back absolutely raises the ceiling on this team.  We know it and the Celtics know it.  You don’t travel with the team and get away from your daily long-term rehab regimen if you aren’t ready to take that next step.  Joining the team on road trips means he expects to be ready, and accordingly I at this point expect him to be back.

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

Getting Hayward back ...  Joining the team on road trips means he expects to be ready, and accordingly I at this point expect him to be back.

If Hayward starts playing in March - and it would be a great help to get him game reps before the playoffs start - we'll likely see more small lineups. Unless he plays a classic sixth man role - likely enough when he first returns - the starting lineup would predictably be:

Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

... in other words, the Celtics' second most used lineup this year, except with Hayward in for Smart.  Smart, in that lineup, gives Irving a break so that he can play off the ball; Gordon would also give Irving a break, though in a different way.

That lineup (with Smart, that is) is neutral for turnovers, and negative for rebounding. Gordon has never been any great shakes on either board, but he was outstanding last season at taking care of the ball, even with a really high usage rate. Smart has been really bad at turning it over this season, on the other hand.

Also worthy of note is how the mere addition of Hayward playing starter's minutes dramatically impacts the depth chart. What happens to Smart, Morris, Theis, Ojeleye, and Monroe?

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 01:10:58 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I don't expect to see Hayward back this season. Celtics win first-round in 7 games. Lose in the second-round in 5 games. Not enough talent on the offensive end to compete.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think this poll is really a “Do you expect Hayward back?” kind of poll.  Based on the recent news that he’ll begin traveling with the team in March, I absolutely do expect him back this year.  Traveling with the team means he’s far enough along in his rehab that they’ll hope to get him involved in on-court activities with coaches and teammates during practices on road trips. (If you look at the schedule there are numerous off-days on March road trips, including even a 2-day break between games in Chicago and Minnesota in early March, which will probably allow for a full practice.)

Getting Hayward back absolutely raises the ceiling on this team.  We know it and the Celtics know it.  You don’t travel with the team and get away from your daily long-term rehab regimen if you aren’t ready to take that next step.  Joining the team on road trips means he expects to be ready, and accordingly I at this point expect him to be back.
If Hayward starts playing in March, do you think that really changes much?  It would appear that Boston and Cleveland are still going to be the 2 and 3 seed, and thus would meet in round 2.  Do you think Hayward, on a few weeks of playing, is altering the actual outcome of that series?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip