Author Topic: Picking James Young over Rodney Hood, and missing out on Nance  (Read 3981 times)

Picking James Young over Rodney Hood, and missing out on Nance
« on: February 12, 2018, 12:57:48 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I know this is hindsight bias, and I really wanted young at the time as well

But who would have guessed that picking young over hood would hurt us this bad one day?

To put insult to injury, Danny really wanted Nance and the Lakers took him one spot up, leaving us with rj hunter. These 2 flopped picks helped result in a blow out loss today

Before someone says it, I'm aware the draft is almost a roulette crapshoot, but it hurts how bad danny gets those mid to late 1sts sometimes. The fear is yabu might be next... And I'm still waiting for semi to make an open 3 while watching Jordan bell destroy the competition with the warriors
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 01:03:05 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Picking James Young over Rodney Hood, and missing out on Nance
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 01:07:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I felt Gary Harris was the miss not Hood. I liked Young's upside vs Hood but Harris was better than both in terms of college play and future projection.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 01:09:43 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I felt Gary Harris was the miss not Hood. I liked Young's upside vs Hood but Harris was better than both in terms of college play and future projection.
I agree that Harris was the big miss there but hood was a moderate miss too. I just mention hood because he helped create this 30 pt defeat today  while James young was probably smoking marijuana somewhere

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 01:12:46 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
James Young one of the biggest busts I can remember. Along with Fab Melo.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:15:17 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I agree that Harris was the big miss there but hood was a moderate miss too. I just mention hood because he helped create this 30 pt defeat today  while James young was probably smoking marijuana somewhere
That's the biggest challenge of scouting, evaluating the heart and drive of a 17-20 year old kid.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:26 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
James Young one of the biggest busts I can remember. Along with Fab Melo.

If he was still here there would still be a contingent that would be saying that he is still too young to give up on him.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 07:06:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The way young played in the NCAAs, he was a hot player going into the draft and most thought it was a good pick.   Yeah, it looks bad now.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:08:31 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Completely agree. The Bill Simmons fist pump will forever haunt me.

but it hurts how bad danny gets those mid to late 1sts sometimes.
However, I'm on the fence with this, as Danny has gotten more than his fair share of value in that 18-25 range. Sure he's had some blunders, but guys like Rondo, Bradley, West and TA were all good picks in that range.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 07:22:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The draft is what it is. There are no sure things. Just ask Philly. Ainge has made more great draft day decisions than he has terrible ones. We can go back to just about any year and look for guys we wished the Celtics had drafted over others but I don't find it a particularly enriching exercise.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:52:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
hide sight is 20/20

Most of my picks are bad

But I was for Tatum , Brogdon , and Hood .   

I least we took one.

Danny needs better scouts.

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 08:31:23 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
hide sight is 20/20

Most of my picks are bad

But I was for Tatum , Brogdon , and Hood .   

I least we took one.

Danny needs better scouts.

Yeah if we're redoing drafts they can keep Hood. I'd take Giannis over Olynik.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 09:05:56 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I want to hear from Celtics fans that knew a lot about the Greek Freak before he came to the NBA. During the draft, I remember being intrigued by him, but knew little about the big guy.

I knew that I didn't want Olynyk at the time. A goofy 7fter was not what I thought the team needed.

I was psyched about Smart, Brown, and Tatum. I think I was wrong about Smart, and I hope Brown reaches his potential. I think it will be tough for Tatum to be a bad pick at this point, considering Fultz/Ball's early production.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I know this is hindsight bias, and I really wanted young at the time as well

But who would have guessed that picking young over hood would hurt us this bad one day?

To put insult to injury, Danny really wanted Nance and the Lakers took him one spot up, leaving us with rj hunter. These 2 flopped picks helped result in a blow out loss today

Before someone says it, I'm aware the draft is almost a roulette crapshoot, but it hurts how bad danny gets those mid to late 1sts sometimes. The fear is yabu might be next... And I'm still waiting for semi to make an open 3 while watching Jordan bell destroy the competition with the warriors

Its always tough to look back in hind site at the non lottery picks. In the lottery Im fine with being critical of picks. At that point most teams should have a solid idea who the top 15 of the draft class are and only need to focus on getting the 1-14 ranking correct. Where I think its tough is factoring in risk of failure vs likely hood of success. The best example of this was the Cs draft KO. DA was correct that Kelly is a solid pro worthy of the pick however Giannis who was a major risk would have been the better pick. At the time the logic made sense in hind site its a crushing miss. Out side the lottery there are so many players that guys are going to slip through the cracks.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 09:47:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I want to hear from Celtics fans that knew a lot about the Greek Freak before he came to the NBA. During the draft, I remember being intrigued by him, but knew little about the big guy.

I knew that I didn't want Olynyk at the time. A goofy 7fter was not what I thought the team needed.

I was psyched about Smart, Brown, and Tatum. I think I was wrong about Smart, and I hope Brown reaches his potential. I think it will be tough for Tatum to be a bad pick at this point, considering Fultz/Ball's early production.
I wanted Giannis because I thought of all the players he had the most upside and picking there with the team the Celtics had the upside pick was the safe play.  I think Ainge though was a bit gun shy to pull that trigger have just made a similar pick on Fab Melo, who clearly was already a bust.  And frankly, when Boston was trading up I just assumed it was for Giannis.  To trade up for KO was the real mistake.  Had the team just stood pat at 16 and then took KO, it wouldn't have been so bad, but to trade up to take KO with Giannis on the board, was just a terrible mistake in hind sight.  That said, KO is probably a top 15 player from that draft so it wasn't a bad pick in that regard. 

As for the drafts from the thread, I didn't like the Young pick as I didn't think he could do anything but shoot, and I wasn't convinced he would be a great shooter at the NBA level.  I would have been fine with a better all around player coming out like Harris or Hood.  RJ Hunter was a terrible pick at the time.  He was billed as a shooter, but he wasn't a very good shooter.  He was never going to make it in the NBA, he just didn't have the size or athleticism to be anything more than an open shooter and he just wasn't a good enough open shooter to have that role.  I wanted Boston to take Chris McCullough who was injured and just let him ride out the injury.  He seemed like the most potential of the available players in that slot.  He isn't much better than Hunter so I guess it didn't really make much difference in the end.  It is a shame that Nance wasn't on the board though, as he has been quite good for a player taken in that slot.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Yeah I believe this the more realistic regret since I remember rumors that the Celtics were actually looking at Harris. But let's be thankful that Danny makes his mistakes in the mid round instead of the lottery.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce