Author Topic: Team should be ashamed of that effort  (Read 5472 times)

Re: Team should be ashamed of that effort
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 08:37:56 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
The effort was there, the shooting was not.

That's exactly why they need to be aggressive to the hoop, instead of chucking prayer 3s. So no, there only minimal effort.

I disagree. We had plenty of open threes that we missed.

Can't just blame effort...other teams simply have better players.

Just knew when Cleveland made those trades the season was over for all the teams in the Eastern Conference.

None of those moves made sense from a value perspective for any of Cleveland's trading partners....none. (Yeah, LA's looking to land LeBron...good luck after giving away the farm.)It wasn't even close to being fair trade value.

Kudos to the Cleveland brass. On the other hand - worst GM's of the year awards for those taking in players Cleveland cast off. Can't think of one that was worth more than a 2nd round pick. Yet, they received top line talent in return.

That's just an excuse. No way Cleveland team is better than last year's, even the most diehard Cavs fans admit that. In fact, some Cavs fans I know arent contented with the moves. In fact GS are probably less scared of them now. The potential of their team pre-deadline was much better than this new one. Its like they sacrificed ceiling for the floor.

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:35 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

That's exactly why they need to be aggressive to the hoop, instead of chucking prayer 3s. So no, there only minimal effort.

Just knew when Cleveland made those trades the season was over for all the teams in the Eastern Conference.

None of those moves made sense from a value perspective for any of Cleveland's trading partners....none. (Yeah, LA's looking to land LeBron...good luck after giving away the farm.)It wasn't even close to being fair trade value.

Kudos to the Cleveland brass. On the other hand - worst GM's of the year awards for those taking in players Cleveland cast off. Can't think of one that was worth more than a 2nd round pick. Yet, they received top line talent in return.

Not sure I agree - let's just look at what those other teams received, individually:

Lakers acquired IT4 and a 1st round pick (and an expiring Frye) while escaping Jordan Clarkson's bad deal and clearing tons of cap space after THIS season. They had to let go of Nance to do so, but he wasn't make or break here. IT4, if he ever gets healthy, is by far the best player in this deal. Lakers now have options for next year including a try-out with IT4.

Sacramento did an incredible job getting out of that HORRIBLE George Hill contract ($37M owed after this season) and only took on Iman Shumpert (just $11M owed next season) to do it. Shumpert is a decent player when healthy. I consider this a huge win for SAC.

For years, we talked about how great of a contract Jae Crowder had. Well, Utah, a small market team, was able to turn an expiring Rodney Hood into two additional years of a two-way player they coveted during the Hayward negotiations. They weren't going to re-sign Hood so I think they did a great job here.

Miami and Wade had mutual interest in coming back together. I was pleasantly surprised by this deal since I don't like Wade and I especially don't like Wade and Lebron together. A protected 2nd won't be missed here.

So let's not be fooled by how 'amazing' Cleveland is now. They essentially turned Kyrie Irving into Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance, Rodney Hood, Ante Zizic, and the BKN 1st. Yikes! They may be feeling good now and that could carry through to the playoffs, but they gave up a 1st and took on a lot of long-term money just to re-shuffle the deck chairs a bit.

tl;dr - I can totally see why these other teams made these deals. For the most part, they greatly benefited from them!

« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Not sure I agree - let's just look at what those other teams received, individually:

Lakers acquired IT4 and a 1st round pick (and an expiring Frye) while escaping Jordan Clarkson's bad deal and clearing tons of cap space after THIS season. They had to let go of Nance to do so, but he wasn't make or break here. IT4, if he ever gets healthy, is by far the best player in this deal. Lakers now have options for next year including a try-out with IT4.

Sacramento did an incredible job getting out of that HORRIBLE George Hill contract ($37M owed after this season) and only took on Iman Shumpert (just $11M owed next season) to do it. Shumpert is a decent player when healthy. I consider this a huge win for SAC.

For years, we talked about how great of a contract Jae Crowder had. Well, Utah, a small market team, was able to turn an expiring Rodney Hood into two additional years of a two-way player they coveted during the Hayward negotiations. They weren't going to re-sign Hood so I think they did a great job here.

Miami and Wade had mutual interest in coming back together. I was pleasantly surprised by this deal since I don't like Wade and I especially don't like Wade and Lebron together. A protected 2nd won't be missed here.

So let's not be fooled by how 'amazing' Cleveland is now. They essentially turned Kyrie Irving into Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance, Rodney Hood, Ante Zizic, and the BKN 1st. Yikes! They may be feeling good now and that could carry through to the playoffs, but they gave up a 1st and took on a lot of long-term money just to re-shuffle the deck chairs a bit.

tl;dr - I can totally see why these other teams made these deals. For the most part, they greatly benefited from them!

The return doesn't look bad for a player who demanded to be traded, especially if the Brooklyn pick is in the top 3.  Their own 1st round pick most likely wouldn't land a player better than Hood or Clarkson.  The trades were good for all parties involved.

I really like the deal for the Cavs even if/when LeBron bails after the season.

« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2018, 09:12:37 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I turned it off after the third quarter but knew we were dead early when Smith hit a a running fall away 3 from the corner. C's IMO didn't play all that bad Cavs were on fire!

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 01:20:20 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I mean, if you saw how they played, do you really think Tyreke Evans would have changed the result of this game?

I think he could have help score in our ever present scoring droughts much more than the 27+ pick of next year will ever help the team.

But he's just only a rental for this season. Ainge wouldn't be trading a "future asset" for a rental whose not bound to win a championship this season without Gordon Hayward.

Although I would've killed to get another scorer off the bench.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 02:20:47 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Should have gone all in to get TEvans AND LWilliams!  This team needs/needed firepower in the worst way, especially on the second unit.
If we play GREAT D, we can usually scrounge up enough points to win, but anything less makes it very hard to win.  With alot better bench scoring you'd still be able to get by on those days where the D isn't quite as good.
When you get to the playoffs everybodys D is really good, or the offenses great, or both, so depending soley on defense is dubious at best!
Thing DA really blew it, as aquiring those two could have been accomplished with a couple of picks and reserves.

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 02:23:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Should have gone all in to get TEvans AND LWilliams!  This team needs/needed firepower in the worst way, especially on the second unit.
If we play GREAT D, we can usually scrounge up enough points to win, but anything less makes it very hard to win.  With alot better bench scoring you'd still be able to get by on those days where the D isn't quite as good.
When you get to the playoffs everybodys D is really good, or the offenses great, or both, so depending soley on defense is dubious at best!
Thing DA really blew it, as aquiring those two could have been accomplished with a couple of picks and reserves.

Yes likely two first round picks (including next year's MEM Pick) and other pieces for two guys who do not guarantee we even beat CLE based on the moves they made, AND could easily bolt a summer from now....

Also the Clippers extended Lou Williams at 3/24M earlier, so basically he was unavailable in trades, period.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 03:27:11 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550

effort was there???

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 03:28:52 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 03:30:01 PM »

• Dennis Johnson

and it is exactly why they are BB stupid because nobody adjusted to then ATTACK THE BASKET!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 03:48:32 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Just curious to those blaming the assistant coaches: How do you parse the responsibility from head coach, players, assistants? Are we just looking for scapegoats? I just don't know how to blame the assistant coaches for anything. Their roles and performance are just not that transparent to me personally. I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to measure their performance or impact.

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
When Hayward went down most believed we would fall to 7th or 8th. We looked that way yesterday. We are young expect Al and Monroe. Cleveland played like everyone was new at park game. It happens. I am accept wait till next year when Lebron is on the Lakers, I hope.
I will watch but expect no ECF.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek