Author Topic: IT's next Team and Contract  (Read 15642 times)

Re: IT's next Team and Contract
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 11:33:08 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Found this interesting:

A brief poll of some NBA front-office executives on Thomas’s value this summer revealed that a long-term, rich contract is likely out of the question. Their responses settled around the mid-level exception (roughly $8.5 million) with one saying, “something under $10 million” and another adding, “someone will give him a one-year deal.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/02/10/isaiah-thomas-earned-a-long-overdue-raise-he-just-fell-short-of-getting-it/?utm_term=.dfe5c4e25e51

TP for the link.  That's right in Lou's vicinity.  Hopefully one team really covets him -- maybe LAL -- and he can regain some of his form in the next couple of months.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Im not worried about Lebron going to LA. He's no spring chicken, has played 15 years already and has seen his better days. Though he's still dominant the fact that he'll be 34 next year, has logged about the most minutes during the past 15 years says a lot about how he's going to age. He's also a big boy and that could work against him, unless he's got some serious "recovery" medicine.
We're in good position to take over the Eastern Conference, whether Lebron stays or goes.
I'm more worried about staying healthy, picking up a good shooter and keeping this team mostly intact for the next few years.

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Lou Williams' contract (3 yr/24 mil), while not awful for him, has set a low market value for guys like IT.  Unfortunately, he may make much less than expected.  That said, it only takes 1 team that believes in him to extend a much larger offer.

Side note: If Lou is making 8 mil, what does that mean for Smart?

Lou Williams set his own market value by not waiting until FA to field offers from other teams. But, in general, I agree - as teams just won't have as much money to spend this offseason.

At the very least, I see IT getting a JJ Redick type contract to bring excitement to a place like NYK or ORL. If the Lakers strike out, he may very well fit in there, too. Lonzo is a taller PG and IT can play on or off the ball.

It was his choice though, so you'd assume it's a reflection of maybe a desire for security along with the offseason market.  Hard to tell how influential it'll be, but it is a precedent from a guy that has scored 30 points 15x already this year.

I hope you're right re: IT.  A Redick-like offer would be more than ideal for him.  I'd imagine there will only be 1 or 2 teams at play.  I don't understand ORL; LAL prob strikes out on LBJ/PG. Agree that NYK could be the most likely -- they have Ntilikina and now Mudiay to manage, but they've also been the most frequent employers of short-term flamethrowers for the past decade.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/michael-beasley-is-instant-offense-but-hes-stuck-being-an-nba-nomad/#fn-2 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 12:18:16 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think if Lakers completely strike out in the 2018 FA class, they sign Isaiah to something like a 2/36M deal (2nd year team option of course).

Otherwise, teams like ORL and NYK come to mind who can offer Isaiah 3 year deals at 18-20M/Year.

But yeah, he's unfortunately not getting a max-contract from any team. Still could get paid well though so long as he's healthy and averaging 18-20 PPG.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 12:28:43 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Any chance Isaiah gets bought out?
My dream is “IT” gets bought out as the LAL have compassion and let him sign with a real contender and we all know the love he has for the Celtics! I know that’s a lot of guards, but if anyone can make it work Stevens can!

I don't think the locker room dynamics would work at all. I don't see IT coming here and deferring to the guy Danny traded him for. I think it'd be a complete disaster something like the Cavs dealt with before trading him.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Do you think Lou Williams just set Thomas' next contract?

Williams' year this year is comparable to his first full season with the Celtics.
http://bkref.com/tiny/sAqKn

Thomas is younger, but Williams doesn't have the injury concerns.

7 million in 17-18, 8 million in 18-19, 8 million in 19-20, and 1.5 million guarenteed (8 million total) in 20-21

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 07:41:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Not looking good....

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Detroit is a good place to go, especially if they are trying to make the Playoffs. Orlando is an obvious choice, DJ Augustin is not a good PG.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
 8m8 minutes ago
More
The Los Angeles Lakers have renounced the free rights to guard Isaiah Thomas.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Detroit is a good place to go, especially if they are trying to make the Playoffs. Orlando is an obvious choice, DJ Augustin is not a good PG.

But at what price? At this point giving him the MLE seems like you're only bidding against yourself, so is he going to start getting vet minimum offers, or at the best Baynes type money.

Never in my wildest dreams would I think that Rondo and Van Fleet would have a much better market in free agency.

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

But at what price? At this point giving him the MLE seems like you're only bidding against yourself, so is he going to start getting vet minimum offers, or at the best Baynes type money.

Never in my wildest dreams would I think that Rondo and Van Fleet would have a much better market in free agency.

Joe Harris could have landed more guaranteed money than both Isaiah Thomas and Demarcus Cousins get combined. No one probably saw that coming.

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 07:56:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Joe Harris could have landed more guaranteed money than both Isaiah Thomas and Demarcus Cousins get combined. No one probably saw that coming.

That's a comment full of racist undertones.

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 07:58:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

That's a comment full of racist undertones.

??

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I can see DET, NYK or MIA. 2 years /30 mill. 2nd year a team option.

no way

Thomas will get 4-5 million 1 year deal from somebody.

If I was Thomas, right now, don't care about the money vs opportunity to start

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 08:08:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
I can see DET, NYK or MIA. 2 years /30 mill. 2nd year a team option.

no way

Thomas will get 4-5 million 1 year deal from somebody.

If I was Thomas, right now, don't care about the money vs opportunity to start

Okay, nane the teams.

- Little money out there

- Injury concerns

- Majority of teams have PG's

- Teams without PG's will likely be looking to tank and/or develop younger players

- Pretty much every contender, teams trying to win now, has their starter in place

- Teams know that Isaiah is going to come in looking to get his (not in a good way - jacking up a lot of shots) as he'll be looking to have a bounce back year to get paid next summer

- He's made it clear he's not a backup
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:14:06 PM by Eddie20 »