Author Topic: Marcus Morris is 382th in the league in real plus and minus  (Read 18018 times)

Re: Marcus Morris is 336th in the league in real plus and minus
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 10:47:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Junk “stat”. The formula includes height, age, prior year statistics, etc.  It’s not really meant to measure day to day production, despite ESPN mispromoting it.

Not a junk stat, quite a good one.

Horford and Kyrie are the top two on our team in plus and minus.

Did you just not read all rebuttals above? It is a junk stat. Any stat that factors in your height and previous season's stats are thrash and cannot be relied upon.

I disagree.

It's a good stat that reflects what we are seeing on the court.

Except that RPM explicitly is not a "stat that reflects what we are seeing on the court".  It is a stat that attempts to predict what we will see on the court in the future.

If you want to defend RPM, and whether or not is a good stat, the least you could do is understand what it is and is not.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 11:01:01 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I like on/off number as a stat. In every metric the nba on/off advanced stats uses the Celtics are worse with Morris on the court than off the court.

In other words lineups with Morris, shoot worse, rebound worse, pass worse and turn the ball over more than lineups without Morris. Lineups with him in them have a worse defensive rating than lineups without him.

My eyes tell me the offense is worth because Morris kills ball movement, this leads to poorer shooting, and less assists. The worse defense doesn't really match the eye test because I think he's a pretty good on the ball defender, but maybe his poor rebounding at the 4 hurts defensive possessions.

I think Morris isn't good and the fact that Morris/Semi are our best small ball 4's really hurts our ability to play small.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 11:19:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I like on/off number as a stat. In every metric the nba on/off advanced stats uses the Celtics are worse with Morris on the court than off the court.

In other words lineups with Morris, shoot worse, rebound worse, pass worse and turn the ball over more than lineups without Morris. Lineups with him in them have a worse defensive rating than lineups without him.

My eyes tell me the offense is worth because Morris kills ball movement, this leads to poorer shooting, and less assists. The worse defense doesn't really match the eye test because I think he's a pretty good on the ball defender, but maybe his poor rebounding at the 4 hurts defensive possessions.

I think Morris isn't good and the fact that Morris/Semi are our best small ball 4's really hurts our ability to play small.

I agree. He’s not a very good passer.  He does have some nice one on one ability but his shot seems too flat for me.  Maybe part of it he’s still somewhat injured as he seemed better last season. We’ll get Hayward back next season so I hope he’s traded in the offseason anyway.  He’s still a valuable trading piece for a team in need of veteran depth on a cheap contract.

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 11:38:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

My question is why not play Theis, Baynes, or Monroe instead of Morris?

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 11:42:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marcus is def the worse out of the Morris twins

Lazy player. Doesnt move enough at both ends

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 01:06:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I agree. He’s not a very good passer.  He does have some nice one on one ability but his shot seems too flat for me.  Maybe part of it he’s still somewhat injured as he seemed better last season. We’ll get Hayward back next season so I hope he’s traded in the offseason anyway.  He’s still a valuable trading piece for a team in need of veteran depth on a cheap contract.
the problem is that we're the team that needs the veteran depth on a cheap contract

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:31 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
He is what he has been: a useful rotation player who is a starter for a weak or injured team. Next year, if he hasn't been traded in the offseason, he'll be a bench player with modest minutes and an expiring contract that could be used in a trade.

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 02:01:51 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Same here. While I do actually like his game, when he's out there with "Not Channing", Brown, and either Kyrie or Rozier, is there a worse passing 1-4 combination/lineup in the league?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:20:27 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 02:40:11 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I’d believe it.

I don’t know if he’s still injured or not but he hasn’t impressed me this year. When he’s on, it’s a blessing. God knows this team needs points. But when he’s not scoring, he’s a big negative for me. He’s a decent enough on-ball defender but seems to be a really poor help defender and rebounder.

This may be an unpopular take but I think we should try to pick up Frye (assuming he’s bought out) and play him over MM. Frye can’t manufacture points in ISO but he’s a deadeye shooter who can set decent enough screens. He’s not a great rebounder but is probably a bit better than Morris.

If Semi improves his shooting (not counting on it), that’d be huge for us IMO.

- LilRip

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 06:28:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I actually thought he played decent yesterday at times.

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 09:02:38 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Marcus is def the worse out of the Morris twins

Lazy player. Doesnt move enough at both ends

yup ....i always liked the other as better player ....may e its just me.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2018, 03:37:01 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
His minutes should be cut. It really feels like he hurts this team... already said before he should be traded at the deadline, just before the deadline he had a couple of good games but now he is back to hurting us again.

Brad should see this pretty soon.

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't think Marcus Morris is our problem.  He has not been quite as good as I hoped but it seems his injury is holding him back some.  He has been pretty good in January and February.  I see him settling in as a bench role alongside Smart and Rozier and helping the team down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I don't know or care whether real plus minus is a good stat or not.  Morris is what he is.

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 04:23:03 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
He's also T-1st: Assaulting Potential Step-Fathers, so it kind of evens out.  I cut and pasted that straight from Basketball Reference

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2018, 04:33:29 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Are there really 336 players in the NBA?