Author Topic: 24-15 Team...how good are the playoffs looking?  (Read 2911 times)

Re: 24-15 Team...how good are the playoffs looking?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Too early to be slitting wrists.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 09:18:27 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think CLE is as good as last season but they probably don't need to be to beat the Celtics.  Last season CLE was Kyrie-Smith-LeBron-Love-Thompson.  This year they have replaced Kyrie with Hill.  I know the bench is all different this year but that doesn't matter as much.

Last year we had IT-Bradley-Crowder-Horford-Johnson. This year we are entirely different except Horford: Kyrie-Brown-Tatum-Horford-Baynes(or Monroe?), with the bench about the same (in terms of talent).  I don't know if this group can play as well as last year's team.  I think Brown and Tatum are just too young to give us what Bradley and Crowder gave us last year.  I think Kyrie is better overall than IT but IT was off the charts last season.  And Baynes-Monroe vs. Amir-Olynyk?  That change is not going to make a difference.

In spite of all this, they still should be able to play better than they did today against CLE.  Coach Stevens, get your team ready.  They are supposed to over-perform, not under-perform.

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
what is the asterisk. That they will lose to Cleveland but beat everyone else?  I mean in the last two seasons they have more playoff series victories then every single team in the league except Cleveland and Golden State (they are tied with San Antonio)

Regular season they'll win 50-55 games with a strong point differential, come playoffs they'll look like a 40-45 win team and they'll barely scrape by against mediocre opponents.

And yes, against Cleveland, they will be completely hapless.  Even when they went to 6 in the ECF, they lost that series by an average margin of -15.5 points.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:30:07 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2018, 11:32:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think CLE is as good as last season but they probably don't need to be to beat the Celtics.  Last season CLE was Kyrie-Smith-LeBron-Love-Thompson.  This year they have replaced Kyrie with Hill.  I know the bench is all different this year but that doesn't matter as much.

Last year we had IT-Bradley-Crowder-Horford-Johnson. This year we are entirely different except Horford: Kyrie-Brown-Tatum-Horford-Baynes(or Monroe?), with the bench about the same (in terms of talent).  I don't know if this group can play as well as last year's team.  I think Brown and Tatum are just too young to give us what Bradley and Crowder gave us last year.  I think Kyrie is better overall than IT but IT was off the charts last season.  And Baynes-Monroe vs. Amir-Olynyk?  That change is not going to make a difference.

In spite of all this, they still should be able to play better than they did today against CLE.  Coach Stevens, get your team ready.  They are supposed to over-perform, not under-perform.

I think the Celts match up a LOT better this year.

Last year, they were shorter by several inches at almost every spot in the starting lineup.  That has been remedied.

Last year, Cleveland had Kyrie to take up the scoring when LeBron wasn't dominating.  Now they have ... Kevin Love?

The Cavs are as vulnerable as they've ever been.  The Celts may be too young / have too little bench scoring, but it should be possible this year.

Biggest issue is finding a way to use the greater length / versatility on the wing this year to actually provide some resistance when Bron decides to run to the rim.  Last year Bron could get inside and score whenever he wanted to.  This afternoon was the same deal.

Let's hope Brad has some tricks up his sleeve.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2018, 01:18:46 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Celtics when Baynes plays 22:30 or more: 15-0
Celtics when Baynes plays 20:00 or more: 22-3
Celtics when Baynes plays under 20:00: 18-15

Take it as that. This is all due to Brad Stevens' poor rotation. Why are you still putting in Semi Ojeleye.  ::) ::) ::)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:24 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Take it as that. This is all due to Brad Stevens' poor rotation. Why are you still putting in Semi Ojeleye.  ::) ::) ::)
wonder if we're saving Baynes mileage  for the playoffs

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2018, 06:22:06 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

Yea what the hell has semi done that he gets regular rotation minutes?