Author Topic: 24-15 Team...how good are the playoffs looking?  (Read 2909 times)

Re: 24-15 Team...how good are the playoffs looking?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Boston was also 22-4 at one point this season and is just 18-13 since (and is just 6-7 in the last 13).  I think that 18-13 is more representative of the actual ability of this team without Hayward (that is a 48 win pace).  Thus, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it lost in the first round (depending on matchup) and think this team pretty clearly loses to both Toronto and Cleveland and thus has to hope it avoids both of them until the ECF.
Then is Cleveland as a team more representative of their current 8- 14 than their 17-1 streak earlier in the year? You can really break down any team's streaks and say that is more the team they are over their whole record but as Bill Belichick says "You are what you are." and the Celtics ate a 40-17 team, 1st in the East.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
A good team having a lull in the middle of an NBA season?  That never happens.

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 01:41:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
So why are we discounting the good stretches?  All those games counted and we are where we are.

Because people have an ax to grind for some reason.  And are unable to admit that 24-15 since the streak ended is the 4th best record in the NBA during that span.  So then they find even shorter stretches to go look at, throwing sample size to the wind.

The Celtics could beat the Warriors in a thrilling 7-game series and some would complain that we didn’t win in 6.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 02:01:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think we all should have learned by now to put an asterisk next to any raptors regular season performance.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 02:07:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think we all should have learned by now to put an asterisk next to any raptors regular season performance.

You can't rule it out, but I'll believe they'll be a different playoff team when I see it. Every year they under-perform when the playoffs roll around.

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 02:10:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
So why are we discounting the good stretches?  All those games counted and we are where we are.

Because people have an ax to grind for some reason.  And are unable to admit that 24-15 since the streak ended is the 4th best record in the NBA during that span.  So then they find even shorter stretches to go look at, throwing sample size to the wind.

The Celtics could beat the Warriors in a thrilling 7-game series and some would complain that we didn’t win in 6.

Ahem, 4. My expectations are pretty fair!  :laugh:

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
As far as the Celts go, I think they've hit some predictable struggles midway through the season after starting hot.

I'm not worried.

Not only are my expectations relatively low for this season given how young the team is and the fact that they lost Hayward in Game 1, but with the Warriors at full strength they aren't winning a title anyway.

It would be sweet to beat LeBron, though.

When the playoffs roll around the Celts will be able to shorten their rotation.   Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Horford as the core guys with Smart, Rozier, Monroe, and maybe Morris or Theis rounding out the bench.

With that in mind, I think the Celts will have as much of a chance as any team in the East to make the Finals, but at the same time I don't think they'll have any easy time with any opponent.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Then again, if the Celts can't ever find a way to make LeBron work hard at all to score, it may not matter who else is on the Cavs.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Celts look like a good team that is :

1. Missing it’s second best ( maybe best) player; and are

2. relying on a lot of young guys.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
The Celts look like a good team that is :

1. Missing it’s second best ( maybe best) player; and are

2. relying on a lot of young guys.

They also look like they need a break and a reason to feel like the regular season matters again.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Those who responded to this thread that they aren't worried better start being worried after the Celtics got their tails blown off at home by the "NEW" Cavs...what a pathetic performance today...

MikeB

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Boston was also 22-4 at one point this season and is just 18-13 since (and is just 6-7 in the last 13).  I think that 18-13 is more representative of the actual ability of this team without Hayward (that is a 48 win pace).  Thus, I wouldn't be overly surprised if it lost in the first round (depending on matchup) and think this team pretty clearly loses to both Toronto and Cleveland and thus has to hope it avoids both of them until the ECF.
Then is Cleveland as a team more representative of their current 8- 14 than their 17-1 streak earlier in the year? You can really break down any team's streaks and say that is more the team they are over their whole record but as Bill Belichick says "You are what you are." and the Celtics ate a 40-17 team, 1st in the East.
sure had Cleveland not over hauled their roster that would have been fair, especially if IT had continued his poor play
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
If we weren't so inconsistent following the London game, I wouldn't have been too concerned about this blowout loss to the Cavs (as infuriating as the effort tonight was).  I thought that the long stretch of rest would do our team a lot of good, but it's done anything but.

I wish Ainge had found a way to acquire more vets and I'd have been fine cutting ties with some of our young players to do so.  If we fall short of the Eastern Conference Finals, it's going to be due to our horrible bench which is far too young and inexperienced to rely on in playoff games.  That said, I trust Ainge's assessments and I'll assume that there was nothing palatable enough to benefit us without hurting our long term flexibility.

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Those who responded to this thread that they aren't worried better start being worried after the Celtics got their tails blown off at home by the "NEW" Cavs...what a pathetic performance today...

MikeB

What is there to be worried about? This team isn’t really a contender without Hayward, so why panic?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
what is the asterisk. That they will lose to Cleveland but beat everyone else?  I mean in the last two seasons they have more playoff series victories then every single team in the league except Cleveland and Golden State (they are tied with San Antonio)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip