Author Topic: Start Monroe sign marco  (Read 1256 times)

Start Monroe sign marco
« on: February 10, 2018, 03:24:34 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Monroe fits better defensively with horford... releases al to be an all around defender and help the team better... can shoot for three... perfect fit  those two... if we sign belinelli a second unit with smart rosier belinelli Morris and baynes on paper has everything a second unit needs... scoring defence... hope ainge gets him

Re: Start Monroe sign marco
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Monroe is a pretty poor defender, certainly worse than Baynes and Theis.

Monroe is a down low scorer and rebounder. It’s a trade off: offense or defense.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 04:36:58 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Monroe is a down low scorer and rebounder. It’s a trade off: offense or defense.

Both my eye test and defensive stats indicate that he is, at worst, an average defender. His defensive awareness to be in the right position and quick hands are both pretty impactful defensive abilities. His defensive rebounding is a huge help to close possessions, too.

I don't think he is that much worse than Baynes or Theis, both in the eye test and in stats. One thing that he does differently than them is he fouls WAY LESS. That can be a huge benefit to the rhythm of the game.

He's not winning the DPOY any time soon, but his defensive deficiencies are more rumor than real. Besides, if CBS can turn Sullinger into a positive defensive player (by DRPM, Drating, etc.), I'm pretty sure he can do the same thing with Monroe, who is bigger, quicker, and has a way better motor.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Both my eye test and defensive stats indicate that he is, at worst, an average defender. His defensive awareness to be in the right position and quick hands are both pretty impactful defensive abilities. His defensive rebounding is a huge help to close possessions, too.

I don't think he is that much worse than Baynes or Theis, both in the eye test and in stats. One thing that he does differently than them is he fouls WAY LESS. That can be a huge benefit to the rhythm of the game.

He's not winning the DPOY any time soon, but his defensive deficiencies are more rumor than real. Besides, if CBS can turn Sullinger into a positive defensive player (by DRPM, Drating, etc.), I'm pretty sure he can do the same thing with Monroe, who is bigger, quicker, and has a way better motor.

The eye test probably leaves a bit to be desired.

Read this analysis. It’s very good:

http://grantland.com/features/josh-smith-future-detroit-pistons/

It’s a bit outdated, but the core deficiencies are the same. He’s slow with “heavy feet” and mediocre instincts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 07:54:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

With the way Baynes has been dropping passes and missing alley oops I think his offense is worse than Monroe's defense.

I thought Monroe played pretty good drop down pick and roll defense against Washington. The hope is that Stevens is a better defensive coach than anyone Monroe has played for and that will bring out the best defense we have seen from Monroe.

I don't think you can play Baynes and Monroe 35+ combined minutes. Doing so means that the Celtics are playing traditional two big lineups against small ball lineups and that simply doesn't work. At some point I believe Stevens will have to choose who to play and I believe he will choose Monroe.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Looks like Marco intends to sign with Philly. What's the next best move?

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 09:47:17 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Looks like Marco intends to sign with Philly. What's the next best move?

Not sure there is anyone really worth it

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 10:32:29 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

This ^

He's fine doing his thing with the second unit. There's a reason why he comes off the bench on every team he plays for.