Author Topic: Can This Team PLEASE Stop Falling Behind By 20+ Points Early...  (Read 2718 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll admit, I don't have the statistics in front of me to back it up, but based on eye-test, it just seems like this team tends to dig too many deep holes especially early on in games.

Now yes, they are 40-17 without Gordon Hayward and with all the injuries they've suffered and fatigue from a tough schedule before the London game, and it's true that they've managed to come back from many of those deficits and even win.

They almost did it again last night, but the Pacers held on and Oladipo torched us.

All that said, this really isn't the best formula to win games, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. The teams we will play in the playoffs will no doubt have elite players (like Oladipo) who can win games for their teams late. And I doubt most of those teams will simply just fold and blow a lead like that in the playoffs with uncharacteristic mistakes that often (especially over the course of a 7-game series).

In last year's playoffs, the Celtics lost 9 games (2 to CHI, 3 to WAS, and 4 to CLE). Out of those 9, 5 of the games they lost by falling behind 15+ EARLY and they never came back (got blown out). In one of the games vs. CHI, they trailed by double digits for a while early and never managed to come back.

I'm just saying, this team needs to find consistency and actually start games off well. It's one thing to be in a tight game early and fall behind by like 8-10 (it is a game of runs), but falling behind by like 20+ and looking awful before halftime is not something that should be a habit for this team, period.

It could work against mediocre teams, but against elite teams like Toronto, or Cleveland, or Washington, or even the likes of Indiana/Miami, it won't work. We couldn't claw back vs. Toronto on Tuesday from a 20+ deficit, and last night couldn't get the job done after balling behind like 25 and making a late, but ultimately unsuccessful comeback.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Can This Team PLEASE Stop Falling Behind By 20+ Points Early...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I do agree, but I think we need to tamper down our expectations. We have 6 rookies, our second star player who's an offensive talent is currently out, and we have been experiencing injury issues with Smart, Morris, and half of our bench. So it is quite tough to build on complimentary momentum day in and day out, plus our schedule in the beginning just screwed us over. We just look tired, especially last night, shots were too short, and definitely not falling.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Brad ball is a lot like Obie ball. Great defense, live and die with the 3. If our 3s don't go in early, well fall behind big. Obies teams were the same way.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I do agree, but I think we need to tamper down our expectations. We have 6 rookies, our second star player who's an offensive talent is currently out, and we have been experiencing injury issues with Smart, Morris, and half of our bench. So it is quite tough to build on complimentary momentum day in and day out, plus our schedule in the beginning just screwed us over. We just look tired, especially last night, shots were too short, and definitely not falling.

Fair enough, but they tend to do it even after having a few days off, coming into the game and looking awful while falling behind by a ton too.

Frankly, although I'm optimistic we can give Cleveland or Toronto a legit series in the playoffs and go on a really deep run, having these kind of starts could also mean an early playoff exit.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 06:58:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I love the Never Say Die attitude. I hate the lack of focus until they're pushed into a corner. I agree that it will become a bigger problem in the playoffs.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 07:07:12 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We played better when it was just the youngsters.

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I get the "Hayward's out", "too many rookies", "guys are injured" but to be honest, I'm tired of the excuses.  I've seen how they play when they are good, I've watched them play bad and its clear to me they just aren't very good.  I know most teams might suck without their star, but without Kyrie, we suck big time.  And, too many times, at the 5 minute mark, Kyrie goes into his LeBUM impersonation and quits sharing the ball, turns it over or misses one of those 35 footers.  My expectations are much higher because I know they can be better if they play better as a team.  So, what is it?  They don't care?  I dunno what it is.  Maybe its because when other teams play tough D and our 3's aren't falling, we just plain suck.

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I love the Never Say Die attitude. I hate the lack of focus until they're pushed into a corner. I agree that it will become a bigger problem in the playoffs.

Yeah.

They look elite and unstoppable in 2nd halfs or when down 20+, but before that. Yuck... just won't fly in the playoffs.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 10:06:38 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Would be real nice to start tomorrow

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 10:14:06 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
You fall behind when you cannot make the ball go through the hoop, which the Celtics are not particularly good at.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
You fall behind when you cannot make the ball go through the hoop, which the Celtics are not particularly good at.

We have bingo!  The Celtics are inconsistent on offense.  Especially if Kyrie or Horford are not in the game.  That will lead to us falling behind early.  I believe it's partly with how our rotation is done. 

We just don't have the offensive depth to play consistently for 4 quarters at the moment.  Will Monroe help a little with that?  Hopefully.  A playmaker might have been a bigger help though.  But who is available on the buyout market?

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Would be real nice to start tomorrow

Oh don't worry. We'll start off like down 25-6 while the new Cavs players light it up and we struggle to score  ::)

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 12:53:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am a big time CBS fan but this getting behind every game is ridiculous and I think he is sick of it, too.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:14:30 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We missed a lot of wide open looks in the last game.
Of course it was the second game of a back to back after a road trip.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 02:35:34 AM »

Online iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I feel like we have more trouble with lottery-teams than playoff-teams, especialy at home. Like we got lack of energy and motivation. Just remember games like Magic, Bulls, Jazz, Knicks. All the losses were blowouts. I know Pacers are not a lottery-team, but also we are way better as a group and game at home that should be a game with authority, we just go out and play like beginners. 

I think this inconsistency (especialy in offense) is the main Stevens' worry, but I'm sure he will find a solution, as he always does.