Author Topic: University of Rhode Island Basketball Climbs National Rankings, 15 game w streak  (Read 3747 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://ripr.org/post/uri-mens-basketball-climbs-national-rankings#stream/0

The University of Rhode Island men’s basketball team continues to shine. In what has become a special season, the Dan Hurley-coached Rams are drawing national attention, always a plus in the run up to the NCAA tournament and March Madness.

URI is ranked 18th nationally in the Associated Press weekly poll and 19th in the USA Today Coaches poll. That puts Rhody on top of such perennial college basketball royalty as North Carolina (22nd in AP) and Kentucky (24th in AP).

If selection Sunday was this Sunday, the Rams, who face Davidson tonight, would be a lock.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Huge Rhody fan. Missed very few games from probably about 1988-2001. Used to go to the URI camp with al skinner and later harrick. Hard to tell how good they are right now because there are no other tourney teams in a10

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Go go gansett!!

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
As an alumni of URI I’m loving every second of this. Beat Davidson last night to move to 20-3, 12-0 in conference play. A lot of nice seniors guards.

Jared Terrell hasn’t gotten a lot of draft buzz but I think he could be a decent NBA player. E.C Matthews was considered a first round pick a couple of years back before tearing his acl. As a 5th year senior I doubt he gets drafted.

I hope they make a deep tourney run. Wish they were this good when I was a student and got free tickets/lived in the state and could actually go to games.

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Can they go all the way? They’re beating Oklahoma right now

I have rhode  island winning it all in my bracket

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
my bracket already looks like it's about to break first game in :( thanks RI

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Great job by Rhode Island to finish off Oklahoma. Since Maine's not in the tournament (ever), I might make RI the team I root for in this tournament.

My dad was a season ticket holder to URI for 30 or so years (and i went with him for about 15 of them) and passed away 4 months ago. Seeing them win this game today was one of the more bittersweet sport memories i can remember. Hope he can see the games somewhere.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Great job by Rhode Island to finish off Oklahoma. Since Maine's not in the tournament (ever), I might make RI the team I root for in this tournament.

My dad was a season ticket holder to URI for 30 or so years (and i went with him for about 15 of them) and passed away 4 months ago. Seeing them win this game today was one of the more bittersweet sport memories i can remember. Hope he can see the games somewhere.

I'm sorry for your loss. My Mom died from cancer last summer—losing parents sucks. I'm glad you have some great memories of your Dad.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

URI fam here too.  Let's go Rhody! 

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Glad you have that connection, and sorry for your loss.  My wife says I channel my dad when I watch the Patriots and Celtics.

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
my bracket already looks like it's about to break first game in :( thanks RI

Should have never bet on Oklahoma  :D Sadly as a URI fan I’m not super confident in beating Duke next round so maybe your bracket will be back on track