Author Topic: Smart can't get back soon enough  (Read 2251 times)

Smart can't get back soon enough
« on: February 09, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We need his defense.

Re: Smart can't get back soon enough
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
Yeah, and his heart.

Smart would not have let Oladipo score 35 on us tonight.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:51:28 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
We need to not take dumb shots. And we don't need Smart.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 10:52:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Yeah, and his heart.

Smart would not have let Oladipo score 35 on us tonight.
The last time they played on Dec 18 Smart had 7 TOs.  Oladipo scored 38 points and had 3 steals. The Celts won by a single point when Terry Rozier made a miracle steal and dunk to win the game.
Tonight Oladipo had 35 points but 5 TOs.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 10:55:28 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!

Somebody has got guard PGs since Kyrie can’t get around a screen to save his life.

Regardless the C’s need Hayward. Too much pressure on Tatum and Brown.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Somebody has got guard PGs since Kyrie can’t get around a screen to save his life.

Smart is a great defender. Smart' s importance to this team's overall defensive effort, however, is vastly overrated.

As someone pointed out, Smart didn't exactly shut down Oladipo last time around.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:06:29 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!

Smart is a great defender. Smart' s importance to this team's overall defensive effort, however, is vastly overrated.

As someone pointed out, Smart didn't exactly shut down Oladipo last time around.

The stats show otherwise. C's 3 point defense really slipped since Smart has been out. Didn't need to shut down Oladipo to win the game. Just didn't need him to abuse Kyrie's defense.

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 11:17:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

The stats show otherwise. C's 3 point defense really slipped since Smart has been out. Didn't need to shut down Oladipo to win the game. Just didn't need him to abuse Kyrie's defense.
Yup, the three-point defense suffered so badly today we only managed to hold Indiana to 5 for 20. Smart's absence isn't the problem. The problem is that Turner, Young, and Bogdanovic shot 15 for 30 and took 14 free throws combined.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 09:00:19 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
maybe we don't need smart. but we don't need rozier either.... i'm sick of seeing this guy miss shots consistently and if he throws another pass that gets stolen and leads to a lay up i'm going to chop his hands off or stab my eyes out... he's the new Avery Bradley.

but I agree this team takes bad shots, it's been the only consistent thing in BS's tenure. I remember his 1st yr. here and guys pulling up shooting long 2's with 20 secs. on the shot clock.

one thing that's really starting to be an issue - teams are being allowed to defend us one on one. this is the problem the scrubs we had last yr. had. this current roster is being encouraged apparently to settle for jump shots... sounds like last yr's team.

early this season I started a thread titled "This team is just so refreshing"(... or something like that). because they were, I even stated - it's nice to see guys take it to the basket and actually finish.

instead now we get terry rozier dancing around on the perimeter for 20 secs. and then takes a contested pull up long 2.

does brad stevens coach offense at all? because I've seen more creative thoughts in a 2 yr. olds scribblings.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
maybe we don't need smart. but we don't need rozier either.... i'm sick of seeing this guy miss shots consistently and if he throws another pass that gets stolen and leads to a lay up i'm going to chop his hands off or stab my eyes out... he's the new Avery Bradley.

but I agree this team takes bad shots, it's been the only consistent thing in BS's tenure. I remember his 1st yr. here and guys pulling up shooting long 2's with 20 secs. on the shot clock.

one thing that's really starting to be an issue - teams are being allowed to defend us one on one. this is the problem the scrubs we had last yr. had. this current roster is being encouraged apparently to settle for jump shots... sounds like last yr's team.

early this season I started a thread titled "This team is just so refreshing"(... or something like that). because they were, I even stated - it's nice to see guys take it to the basket and actually finish.

instead now we get terry rozier dancing around on the perimeter for 20 secs. and then takes a contested pull up long 2.

does brad stevens coach offense at all? because I've seen more creative thoughts in a 2 yr. olds scribblings.

Rozier has the third highest fourth quarter plus and minus in the league.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I 100% agree.  Smart brings something special to the team.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I 100% agree.  Smart brings something special to the team.

I agree. He may not have been able to stop Oladipo last night but he certainly could have made it more difficult. Plus Smart has a pretty good pick & roll connection with Theis. He's a better passer than Rozier and with Smart Rozier may get better open looks to be able to confidently knock the shot down. As disappointed that I am with Smart we do miss his intensity & intangibles.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 10:03:05 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Rozier has the third highest fourth quarter plus and minus in the league.

awesome! let's put 'em in the hall of fame.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
We are definitely missing that magic that Smart brings on Defense... It was never always him Locking up one guy... It was the clutch steal, the clutch rebound... The crucial flop ... The Constant defensive Agitation...   He does things on Defense that always seemed to turn the tide or get us over a hump...  We've been missing that since he has been gone.

The whole team seemed to play off of his defensive energy... Right now on Defense, we are lacking that fire.

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

The bolded statement completely contradicts itself.

Smart is part of some of the most successful lineups this team has.  You cannot possibly deny that it would have been nice to have him defend Lowery and Oladipo this past week.