Author Topic: It might be time to close the book on the 2018 Draft...  (Read 8496 times)

Re: It might be time to close the book on the 2018 Draft...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 10:19:44 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
don't look now, but the lakers are only 5 games back of the #5 spot in the 2018 draft which would mean a 25.% per cent chance at a top 3 pick.

see? it works two ways.  ;D

Couldn't agree more.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 10:29:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What can we possibly get with our own 1st? Another Nader? I don't want another Nader nor do I want the one we have. Let's close the book on this draft because the Lakers are sticking it to us.

Nader was the 58th pick in the draft. Our 1st will be between 27-29.  It’s not the same thing.

Right. The correct guy to lament is JaJuan Johnson.

To this day I don’t know why JaJuan Johnson failed so badly.  He was the guy I wanted heading into the draft (behind Faried, who went earlier) and I was so excited when we got him.  I’d pick him again tomorrow in a do-over and just hope it turned out better.  A projected stretch 4/5 who blocked more shots than he committed fouls, college senior, major conference Player of the Year, 6’10” with a 7’2” wingspan, and one of the best verticals in the draft.  He had the size and athleticism combined with terrific on-court results against the top college competition.

I will always lament JaJuan Johnson, and I will never understand why he flamed out so quickly.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
What can we possibly get with our own 1st? Another Nader? I don't want another Nader nor do I want the one we have. Let's close the book on this draft because the Lakers are sticking it to us.

Nader was the 58th pick in the draft. Our 1st will be between 27-29.  It’s not the same thing.

Or JR Giddens, Fab Melo, RJ Hunter, ect.
Don't understand why people lament the late 1st picks that don't make it.  The likelihood of late 1sts ending up a back bencher or worse is quite high.  I lament Ainge taking Olynyk over Giannis.  Or you could lament taking Young.  Capella would look awfully nice in green. 

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

To this day I don’t know why JaJuan Johnson failed so badly.  He was the guy I wanted heading into the draft (behind Faried, who went earlier) and I was so excited when we got him.  I’d pick him again tomorrow in a do-over and just hope it turned out better.  A projected stretch 4/5 who blocked more shots than he committed fouls, college senior, major conference Player of the Year, 6’10” with a 7’2” wingspan, and one of the best verticals in the draft.  He had the size and athleticism combined with terrific on-court results against the top college competition.

I will always lament JaJuan Johnson, and I will never understand why he flamed out so quickly.
He is playing in Turkey for David Blatt right now!!!
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

And E'Twaun Moore is still in the league making over 8.5 mil the next couple of years. Who would have predicted their respective paths?

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 11:21:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

And E'Twaun Moore is still in the league making over 8.5 mil the next couple of years. Who would have predicted their respective paths?

I really liked Moore also, and complained when the Lee sign-and-trade was made that he was included as salary-filler.  (I hated that Lee trade — Moore, 3 seconds, Johnson, all for someone we paid another second to get rid of 18 months later.  Should have just given Moore a shot.)

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 11:48:38 AM »

Offline jdrocko

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8

he played two years in my hometown and I've seen him play a lot; my guess is that has two limits he can't overcome:
1) he couldn't fill a role on defense (too slow for 4, too skinny for 5)
2) he's very good on the offensive side only if he's the focus of the offense and if he's free to shoot everything he wants to.

btw he has also added a nice 3-pt shoot and here in Europe he's simply unstoppable if he goes on fire;

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 12:01:58 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
It's been time for a while to close the books. Having said that, the history of the 27th pick (where we are now) is a pretty favorable one:

2017: Kyle Kuzma
2016: Pascal Siakam
2015: Larry Nance Jr
2014: Bogdan Bogdanovic
2013: Rudy Gobert

See? It's all part of DA's plan. :)

Mike

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 12:04:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

he played two years in my hometown and I've seen him play a lot; my guess is that has two limits he can't overcome:
1) he couldn't fill a role on defense (too slow for 4, too skinny for 5)
2) he's very good on the offensive side only if he's the focus of the offense and if he's free to shoot everything he wants to.

btw he has also added a nice 3-pt shoot and here in Europe he's simply unstoppable if he goes on fire;

Thanks for the update.  I always knew he had that 3-point shot in him.  He was a good defender in college, but I guess that didn’t translate.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 12:05:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
It would take a miracle to get the Lakers' pick at this point but SAC really has nothing, they are built around Zach Randolph.  I am not too worried about the projections on the 2019 draft.  There will be some good players or the pick may help with a trade.

It is unbelievable that we got Tatum and this Pick for Fultz.

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 05:15:11 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Late 1st round pick and early 2nd round picks are very important for luxury cap strapped teams. These are cheap cost controlled players and landing even lower end rotational players with these picks really helps build a roster.

This draft may yield a few long shot higher ceiling bigs in the late first.

I would be happy if the Cs took a shot on any of the following with their own pick

Jontay Porter
Mitch Robinson
Brandon McCoy
Daniel Gaffod
Chimezie Metu

Their will also be a healthy crop of low ceiling rotation type players who could be plug in 10th-15th man type guys capable of contributing in case of injury. (look at Semi this year)

Bates-Diop big wing
Milton combo guard
Grayson Allen combo guard
Jevon Carter defensive point
Allonzo Tier scoring guard
Devonte Graham pure point
Vince Edwards
combo forward
Mykhailiuk shooting wing
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Like to see us get Mitchell Robinson  dude was a top 10 player coming out of high school..he's around 6-11...
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 05:43:34 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
don't look now, but the lakers are only 5 games back of the #5 spot in the 2018 draft which would mean a 25.% per cent chance at a top 3 pick.

That includes a 7.6% chance of it being the #1 pick which would mean the Sixers keep it. 

See.  Every silver lining has a touch of grey.   ;D
Guess I'm the only old fart to get the dead reference

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 05:55:48 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

That includes a 7.6% chance of it being the #1 pick which would mean the Sixers keep it. 

See.  Every silver lining has a touch of grey.   ;D
Guess I'm the only old fart to get the dead reference
TP for you. 

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Bol Bol in 2019 here we come!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)