Author Topic: Should Monroe start?  (Read 1756 times)

Re: Should Monroe start?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I don't feel like you and I have been watching the same games.  Baynes has been just what we need him to be offensively as the fifth scoring option with the starters.  He gets 5.3 rebounds in 18 minutes per game - which is fine.  And he is a better defender than Monroe. 

Baynes is terrible. He can't rebound and he cannot finish. Start Monroe. Give Monroe as many minutes as possible.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 12:00:04 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I don't feel that Monroe should start.  He gives us a huge advantage on the 2nd team with a capable big that can score down low. 

I loved watching him and Theis together last night.  I think those two compliment each other really well.  Theis can stretch the def shooting the 3s and provide good d / a bit of rim protection while Monroe takes up space on D, gobbles rebounds.

Once Marcus gets back having Rozier, Smart, Morris, Theis and Monroe as our bench seems really solid.  We will now have a deep 10 man rotation if it is required.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 12:00:29 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
A definite no for me. We need him in our 2nd unit. For a first game, he was clearly out of sync but was still able to contribute.

The guy who I probably wouldn’t mind starting though? Theis. Baynes has been a disaster on the floor for the past few games and I don’t know why. Meanwhile, Theis has looked good. I think it’d be interesting to plug him in the starting lineup again once Smart comes back. Then we can shift Monroe to the 5 and Morris can play the 4.
- LilRip

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Monroe seems huge. I didn't remember him being so big. He had a nice game. He can run and was very active all game. He has a great nose for the ball and his defense was better than advertised. I hope there is a way to keep him/her next year.
I was thinking the same thing.  Initially I confused him and Morris but not after I locked in on how big Monroe is.  He was clearly out of sync but still managed to contribute.

He just nudges people out of the way under the boards. He's just massive.

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I don't feel that Monroe should start.  He gives us a huge advantage on the 2nd team with a capable big that can score down low. 

I loved watching him and Theis together last night.  I think those two compliment each other really well.  Theis can stretch the def shooting the 3s and provide good d / a bit of rim protection while Monroe takes up space on D, gobbles rebounds.

Once Marcus gets back having Rozier, Smart, Morris, Theis and Monroe as our bench seems really solid.  We will now have a deep 10 man rotation if it is required.

That is a very physical second unit.

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Well hes a much better player tham Baynes for sure. No matter if he starts, he will play 30+

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I appear to not be with the consensus on this one.  I think Monroe is much better than Baynes and should start once he is fully acclimated.  Monroe should play in the 32 minute range, Baynes in the 16 minute range.  If you start Baynes, you lose a lot of flexibility in terms of managing minutes and rotations.  Baynes will have played half his minutes right at the start of the game and then Monroe will have his minutes squeezed into less time (less rest between shifts).  It makes no sense to me to bring Monroe off the bench just in the name of bench scoring.

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 01:35:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Have to wait and see which group he fits with best or players l

right now that second group needs the help.....Greg might be able to score big on opponents second units .  Help carry the offense

Smart is a decent passer and punisher of smaller guards . I like him paired with Theis , Tatum , and Monroe .   Thats a load for most second squads to handle.

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 01:37:13 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I'm all for Monroe as a starter if for no other reason than my blood pressure, which goes up every time Baynes drops a pass, misses a dunk, throws up an 18-foot left-handed hook or is pushed under the basket by Enes Kanter (and yes, I do appreciate Baynes' picks and defensive skills).

If we can eliminate that stress -- and then get Marcus Morris to stop taking contested fallaways -- I just might live forever.