Author Topic: Kyrie's popularity with other players around the league -- now I get it  (Read 2668 times)

Re: Kyrie's popularity with other players around the league -- now I get it
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Other superstars always pay each other respect. After games, Lebron is embraced. Steph. Harden.

I don’t see Kyrie being more or less liked than others. Even IT - not part of the “clique” - was well-liked enough to recruit two stars here.

Lol let's be honest.  Al didn't want Atlanta after they chose Howard and heyward came here more for brad

There’s always a mix of reasons. Both guys credited IT.  Did he may the difference in Horford signing here instead of DC? Maybe.

I just don’t see guys gravitating to Kyrie more or less than other superstars. Hopefully he can help us get some more stars here, but he hasn’t shown that skill yet.

Kyrie is just NOT as good as IT:-))

Getting into this site is so slow that I am about to give up!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 04:33:06 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think we are very well represented with guys like Brad, Kyrie and Al.  Even Jayson and Jaylen.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 06:30:53 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If you watched the game last night, there was a subtle thing that happened after the final buzzer that spoke volumes. Someone actually captured this on YouTube (see below). Basically Bradley Beal came up to Kyrie, apparently still upset about that foul call on Kyrie's three attempt in OT (note: it was clearly a foul). Almost instantly the interaction de-escalates, and within moments they are smiling and giving eachother a hug. The whole thing starts around the 40 second mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yFKywo2-Yo

One of the things we heard about Kyrie after the trade was how popular he is with other players around the league. I'm beginning to understand why. I have no idea what he said to Beal on this particular occasion, but I see a player who's hyper-competitive, never shrinks from the moment, yet is good natured, real, and respectful with everyone.

This matters. Kyrie is one month shy of 26 and right now it looks like he'll be on this team for years to come (I think he's likely to re-up after next season). In many ways I think he's the perfect personality to have as a team's top player, in terms of attracting talent to the team. That could be huge as the Celtics try and compete over the next several years.
When I read the title I assumed you were going to explain why Kyrie is popular.  Instead you show a clip where none of us know what happened.  So we're all still wondering why Kyrie is so popular around the league.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 06:55:19 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Other superstars always pay each other respect. After games, Lebron is embraced. Steph. Harden.

I don’t see Kyrie being more or less liked than others. Even IT - not part of the “clique” - was well-liked enough to recruit two stars here.

Lol let's be honest.  Al didn't want Atlanta after they chose Howard and heyward came here more for brad

There’s always a mix of reasons. Both guys credited IT.  Did he may the difference in Horford signing here instead of DC? Maybe.

I just don’t see guys gravitating to Kyrie more or less than other superstars. Hopefully he can help us get some more stars here, but he hasn’t shown that skill yet.

You still on that IT tip huh. At least you're consistent.
ok fine

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Kyrie at this stage has more clout obviously than IT.

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Kyrie at this stage has more clout obviously than IT.

At this stage, sure. But, what does “clout” mean? 

Unless or until that clout is translated to something tangible it’s pretty amorphous, isn’t it? What is “clout” achieving?  If it’s power and influence, that takes more than popularity with ones peers.

Kyrie seems to get along well with his fellow all-stars, but does it amount to anything? LBJ’s “clout” is real, because he can dictate the direction of multiple franchises just by being passive-aggressive. Westbrook has a small bit of that, but really, there are relatively few guys who are bigger than their teams.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:11:55 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 07:27:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Comparing IT to Kyrie, considering where their games are at, seems like a gross injustice.

Kyrie is well respected because he's a special talent and players recognize his elite abilities.