Poll

IF IT is bought out, would he come back as 6th man? Do we want him back?

Want him, but he won't want to come back here.
13 (20.3%)
Want him, but he burned bridges, so team/Danny wouldn't want him back.
3 (4.7%)
Want him, but neither he nor the Cs want him back here.
10 (15.6%)
Don't want to see him back, and the Cs  and/or him don't want him back.
28 (43.8%)
Don't want him back, but it could happen.
1 (1.6%)
Want him back and it could happen.
9 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: POLL : if IT bought out? What are the chances of him returning as our 6th man?  (Read 3067 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
First, I apologize for this awkwardly worded poll.

Second, with not being able to access the site most of the day, I'm not sure if this has been discussed, and if so disregard it:

There was talk of IT asking for a buyout out of LaLa Land, because he didn't want to back up Ball.

If that happens, what are the chances of him landing here?

His love for Boston still burns. As does his anger with Danny, I'm sure.

I want him back, and think it could happen.

We need a scorer, and he is that, and he knows the system.

I guess the two main questions to consider are:

1. Will he be a disruptive, divisive force in a locker room that is humming pretty smoothly?

If he is, we'd be paying him the vet minimum, so just cut his ass. ( I really like the guy, and would hope this doesn't happen)

2. Can he regain 70-80% of the form that made him such an offensive force last year?

This is more problematic, but could be a huge payoff if he does.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I would support the move 100% because of my faith in Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge.  There's no way they allow him to come back without the expectations being laid out bright and clear.

As for IT, he would need to be okay with inconsistent minutes off the bench until he proves to be somewhat close to his old self.  He would need to earn the role of 6th man. 

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Absolutely 0.01% chance. He would have to sign for the vet min if he chose us, plus he wanted to start although I would be sure CBS would feature 3 guard lineups occasionally.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I doubt Lakers would buy him out..if they do, I love see him back here
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline MasterEmile

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 46
Isn't it one calendar year after we trade him ? If it is not amd lakers buy him out I would love the move.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Would love to see IT back here as our primary bench scorer, which I think is his most natural role.

But I really doubt he would do that. He wants to start somewhere and play a ton of minutes to prove that he's healthy for his contract next year, which isn't in Boston.

In all honesty, though, I'm not sure where exactly that is, and I think he'd probably do about as good as he could by coming to Boston and helping lead us to a deep playoff run where he could be surrounded by defensive types to help him and make him look as good as possible.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The answer is he can't come here--they can't afford him. He wants max money, and will have trouble getting it.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I was his agent I'd point out he played his best ball for Stevens, which might be good for his next contract. Plus he gets playoff checks here.

Also if he could be professional and whatnot it might rehab his image at just the right time

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There is zero chance he ends up back here and really don't want him back as I think he will put me over we. Besides, his defense this year is historically bad.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would take him back as a coach for our G League team or like a sideline reporter for home games

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I would take him back.

But I think there's less than a 1% chance he even considers coming back.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
I would take him back as a coach for our G League team or like a sideline reporter for home games

And dump Abby?

6th man, maybe.

Replace Abby?

No way!

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
If I was his agent I'd point out he played his best ball for Stevens, which might be good for his next contract. Plus he gets playoff checks here.

Also if he could be professional and whatnot it might rehab his image at just the right time

Was thinking/hoping this?

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Never say never

2 things make me think it might happen:

1. Ainge was quick to repair his relationship with IT
2. silver called the nba the world's greatest reality tv show earlier in th e season

It would be great for tv and ESPN talking heads for Thomas to return to Celtics and add to the story. It would also make Ainge look like a master trader. I think ultimately what will drive this is the dramatically lower price of IT. if he's not willing to sign that low price contract then it isn't happening

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
why would we bring IT back at this point?  he is still injured, it is really obvious when you watch him play, he isn't right.  So we bring him back to come off the bench and not play well cause he is still injured, and then we don't resign him because that was never going to happen anyways.

no, no, no, no.