Author Topic: CAVSMAGEDDON!!  (Read 51067 times)

Re: CAVSMAGEDDON!!
« Reply #315 on: March 22, 2018, 05:47:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Cavs played one of their best games of the season against the Raptors. Their starting 5 in double-figures. Kevin Love with a double-double after a lengthy absence. LeBron James resumes his dominance.

They look like they are peaking at the right time...dan-ger-ous for the rest of the East.

They won by 3 points despite Lebron going off, Hill shooting 10-for-11, and Hill / Calderon / Love / Green shooting 12-for-16 from deep.
While giving up 129 points in regulation play.

If the Cavs are giving up 120+ points a game in the playoffs, they are losing the vast, vast, vast majority of those games. The Cavs defense is awful and I don't see them throwing the switch and suddenly holding teams to 100 ppg in the playoffs.

This isn't the same team of the last three years. Lebron defensively is not the same player. Clarkson, Nance, Osman have no playoff experience. Smith and Thompson seem shells of their former selves. Hill is no Kyrie and lord knows if Love is going to be Minnesota Love, Cleveland 2016 Love or I am injured AND have anxiety problems Love.
They have better individual defenders this year then they did last year and they entered last year playing as a bottom 3 defense for the entire second half of the year before turning it on in the playoffs and finishing as a top 3 defense in the playoffs.  Obviously, they will miss Irving's scoring and ability to take games over, but Hill is a better defender and better 3 point shooter than Irving (Irving is obviously a much much better player).  Instead of Smith, Shumpert, and Deron Williams, they will have Hood, Smith, and Clarkson, which is a much better 3 some on both ends of the floor.  Korver is Korver and Thompson is Thompson, though Thompson will get far less minutes this year and will come off the bench rather than start.  They will replace Frye and R. Jefferson with Green and Nance.  They have guys like Osman and Zizic on the deep bench instead of Derrick Williams, James Jones, and Dahntay Jones.

In other words, defensively they have the potential to be far better then they were last year, when they were blowing teams out in the East and a top 3 defensive team in the playoffs.
Just cause it snowed out yesterday doesn't mean its going to snow out today. Its not often that one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league entering the playoffs, flips a switch and suddenly becomes a top defensive team in the playoffs. Maybe teams that have a 7-8 man core of vets that have been together a while. But a team just thrown together weeks ago that's going to have 2-3 players with no experience in the playoffs? I don't see it happening. Just because a different group did it last year doesn't mean this group, or heck, even that same group, could do it again.

Just cause it snowed out yesterday doesn't mean its going to snow out today.

Unless you live in Maine.

Otherwise I agree. Furthermore, last year’s team was 21st in defensive rating, bad but not in the basement. They coasted in the latter part of the season, but showed at times that they were capable.

This year’s team is ranked 29th, and there hasn’t been any time this season where the defense looked decent.

Even in yesterday's game, which was absolutely playoff intensity, they couldn't stop Toronto. They were on fire from 3 and really stole a win because of it. They shot 62% on 24 threes, and they definitely were not all wide open with Smith hitting several guarded pullups (4 of 6 from 3). Even Jeff Green who entered the game on a 8-39 stretch from 3 and the ire of Cavs fans hit 50%. If they shoot even 45% from 3 they lose the game on their home court. I definitely think they can win some games on their homecourt but they won't have it against Toronto in a series and tough to just ignore 7 months of basketball because of how a team with different and younger players performed in years past.   

« Reply #316 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The Cavs played one of their best games of the season against the Raptors. Their starting 5 in double-figures. Kevin Love with a double-double after a lengthy absence. LeBron James resumes his dominance.

They look like they are peaking at the right time...dan-ger-ous for the rest of the East.

They won by 3 points despite Lebron going off, Hill shooting 10-for-11, and Hill / Calderon / Love / Green shooting 12-for-16 from deep.

If the Cavs are giving up 120+ points a game in the playoffs, they are losing the vast, vast, vast majority of those games. The Cavs defense is awful and I don't see them throwing the switch and suddenly holding teams to 100 ppg in the playoffs.

This isn't the same team of the last three years. Lebron defensively is not the same player. Clarkson, Nance, Osman have no playoff experience. Smith and Thompson seem shells of their former selves. Hill is no Kyrie and lord knows if Love is going to be Minnesota Love, Cleveland 2016 Love or I am injured AND have anxiety problems Love.
They have better individual defenders this year then they did last year and they entered last year playing as a bottom 3 defense for the entire second half of the year before turning it on in the playoffs and finishing as a top 3 defense in the playoffs.  Obviously, they will miss Irving's scoring and ability to take games over, but Hill is a better defender and better 3 point shooter than Irving (Irving is obviously a much much better player).  Instead of Smith, Shumpert, and Deron Williams, they will have Hood, Smith, and Clarkson, which is a much better 3 some on both ends of the floor.  Korver is Korver and Thompson is Thompson, though Thompson will get far less minutes this year and will come off the bench rather than start.  They will replace Frye and R. Jefferson with Green and Nance.  They have guys like Osman and Zizic on the deep bench instead of Derrick Williams, James Jones, and Dahntay Jones.

In other words, defensively they have the potential to be far better then they were last year, when they were blowing teams out in the East and a top 3 defensive team in the playoffs.
Just cause it snowed out yesterday doesn't mean its going to snow out today. Its not often that one of the worst defensive teams in the entire league entering the playoffs, flips a switch and suddenly becomes a top defensive team in the playoffs. Maybe teams that have a 7-8 man core of vets that have been together a while. But a team just thrown together weeks ago that's going to have 2-3 players with no experience in the playoffs? I don't see it happening. Just because a different group did it last year doesn't mean this group, or heck, even that same group, could do it again.

Just cause it snowed out yesterday doesn't mean its going to snow out today.

Unless you live in Maine.

Otherwise I agree. Furthermore, last year’s team was 21st in defensive rating, bad but not in the basement. They coasted in the latter part of the season, but showed at times that they were capable.

This year’s team is ranked 29th, and there hasn’t been any time this season where the defense looked decent.
They had about 10 games(from the trade to the recent injuries to Hood/Nance) where they were solid but unspectacular.

check mate. Cavs are back.

Edit: while true that the Cavs did have a 10 game stretch of OK defense, I don't disagree with your point and largely make this comment tongue in cheek. Cleveland's defense is bad. It's that simple. Maybe Hood and Nance and Hill are healthy and locked in in the playoffs, but really it will come down to Lebron. Can Lebron perform at an all-world level on offense and mantain the necessary work rate on defense to perform like a DPOY type and carry that defense to acceptable levels. I doubt it. Still think the Cavs come out of the East, but could see Toronto dethroning them.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #317 on: March 22, 2018, 11:17:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

the Cavs that will enter the playoffs aren't the same team that has been this bad though.  That was the point I was making.  They added bettwr defenders then they had most of the year.  If they ever get healthy they will be better on that end of the floor.  They won't be a lock down elite defense, but they certainly have the potential to be good enough to at least get out of the East.  You are right tjey may not do it and tjey certainly could be too injured to do it, only time will tell.  I just have a hard time ruling out the team that has the best player in the world and is 36-5 in the East in the playoffs the last three seasons.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2018, 08:43:51 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nance, Hood, and Thompson are all back tonight.  Be curious to see if they all stay healthy
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #319 on: March 24, 2018, 01:20:40 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Cavaliers dismantled the Suns. LBJ, Love, Smith, Clarkson and Nance all played exceptionally well. The East still goes through them I guess.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #320 on: March 24, 2018, 02:06:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Cavaliers dismantled the Suns.

Doesn't everybody?

« Reply #321 on: March 24, 2018, 02:09:04 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

« Reply #322 on: March 24, 2018, 04:51:49 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Cavaliers dismantled the Suns. LBJ, Love, Smith, Clarkson and Nance all played exceptionally well. The East still goes through them I guess.

I honestly haven no idea if this is sarcastic or not, but if not, suns have lost 25 of 27 and probably would lose to the Washington generals right now (I really do hope you were kidding)

« Reply #323 on: March 25, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
They beat the Phoenix freaking Suns.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #324 on: March 25, 2018, 02:17:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think if we can Kyrie and Smart healthy in time for Cavs, it will be a competitive 6-7 game series.

If we had Theis and Hayward, we would beat them in 5-6 games.

« Reply #325 on: March 25, 2018, 02:28:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Doesn't everybody?

Not Dallas.
They beat the Mavs on January 31st.

This is clear trolling SparWizard

« Reply #326 on: March 25, 2018, 03:05:04 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Doesn't everybody?

Not Dallas.
They beat the Mavs on January 31st.

This is clear trolling SparWizard

Lol nope 102-88 Suns beat the Mavs January 31st.
Nice try!

edit: I got excited reading responses and misread your comment, but indeed they beat the Mavs. My bad  ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:12:03 PM by SparzWizard »

« Reply #327 on: March 25, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
D'Angelo Russell has been the Cavs second-best player today.  2-8, 0 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 3 turnovers, foul trouble throughout. 

Brooklyn might have won this game without Russell. 

EDIT:  Couple of after-the-game-was-decided threes made his line look better.  Finished 4-11 for 12 points. 

Bummer.  Brooklyn could have helped us on two fronts today, and looked poised to do it for a while.  Then the fourth quarter happened.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:25:22 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #328 on: March 25, 2018, 03:25:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
D'Angelo Russell has been the Cavs second-best player today.  2-8, 0 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block, 3 turnovers, foul trouble throughout. 

Looks like Lakers won that trade. Didn’t they get right to draft Kuzma?

« Reply #329 on: March 25, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Looks like Lakers won that trade. Didn’t they get right to draft Kuzma?

Yep.  That was a very good trade for the Lakers.  They offloaded a bad player in Russell and a terrible contract in Mosgov.  Received the Kuzma pick and an expiring contract in Lopez.

Credit where it's due; that's a win.