Author Topic: I thought Republicans where fiscal conservative?  (Read 1915 times)

I thought Republicans where fiscal conservative?
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »

Online liam

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 688
Wednesday Republicans announced a plan that would add $500 billion spending over two years. They also suspended the debt ceiling until 2019. Republicans also passed a tax law that would add more than $1 trillion to the debt over a decade. Spend, spend, spend! What happen to the tea party?

Re: I thought Republicans where fiscal conservative?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:34:15 AM »

Online GratefulCs

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 474
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
SAD!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 12:52:07 PM »

Offline gift

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Wednesday Republicans announced a plan that would add $500 billion spending over two years. They also suspended the debt ceiling until 2019. Republicans also passed a tax law that would add more than $1 trillion to the debt over a decade. Spend, spend, spend! What happen to the tea party?

What happened to the tea party? It was attacked for somehow being something other than it ever was. So the smart people abandoned it early rather than be stigmatized. Then the only people left over were anti-current administration folks, which were republicans at the time, who hijacked the brand for their own purposes.

Republicans haven't been fiscally conservative for a very long time (perhaps my entire life).

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »

Online kozlodoev

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1263
Republicans are only fiscally conservative when they have to pile on the other party. Otherwise, they revert to political realism.
(Formerly) managing Rilski Sportist to glory at http://www.buzzerbeater.com

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:14:11 PM »

Offline alley oop

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
 They always prove they're not when they have power.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:15:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1037
  • What a Pub Should Be
Cut taxes.  Raise spending.

What could possibly go wrong?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »

Online jambr380

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 957
Nope, this has just proven to me that it has always been about a veiled racism. They are only fiscally conservative when it comes to giving minorities any small amount help; otherwise, it is spend all the money you have (or don't have) and then blame the democrats when they are left to pick up the pieces.

'Incredulous' doesn't even begin to describe how I am feeling about this new regime.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:09:05 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 3490

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27841
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .
Nope, this has just proven to me that it has always been about a veiled racism. They are only fiscally conservative when it comes to giving minorities any small amount help; otherwise, it is spend all the money you have (or don't have) and then blame the democrats when they are left to pick up the pieces.

'Incredulous' doesn't even begin to describe how I am feeling about this new regime.

It has nothing to do with minorities or racism.  Itís about taking the path of least resistance, bolstering re-election and paying back donors. Itís what the majority of both parties do.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 310
I don't think it is fair to say that both parties do this.  Both parties are willing to dip into deficit spending but only one party recklessly cuts taxes while at the same time increasing spending (Reagan, Bush, and now Trump have all done this).

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 310
Cut taxes.  Raise spending.

What could possibly go wrong?

Don't forget to add in the reckless repeal of financial regulations.

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »

Online mef730

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 509

And what's worse is that we sit back and take it. Enough of this "they go low we go high" crap. As usual, it takes The West Wing to get it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVX0TBLB3RU

Mike
Want to learn about frequent flyer miles and flying well for free? Check out my blog here: http://frequentflyermiles101.com/

Actually, check it out even if you don't want to. It'll make me feel good.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -27841
  • 33,333 posts and counting . . .

And what's worse is that we sit back and take it. Enough of this "they go low we go high" crap. As usual, it takes The West Wing to get it right.

Mike

You understand that this is a bi-partisan deal, right? Both parties are taking huge piles of money to throw around.  Republicans just arenít pretending anymore.

Once a CrotoNat, always a CrotoNat.  CelticsBlog Draft Champions, 2009 & 2012;
DKC Draft 2015 Champions and beyond...

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »

Online mef730

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 509

Mike

You understand that this is a bi-partisan deal, right? Both parties are taking huge piles of money to throw around.  Republicans just arenít pretending anymore.

Completely. The Dems at least try to pay for it and don't hand it all back to the people who need it the least.

Mike
Want to learn about frequent flyer miles and flying well for free? Check out my blog here: http://frequentflyermiles101.com/

Actually, check it out even if you don't want to. It'll make me feel good.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 03:51:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1963
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

It's a mix - a lot of justifications for fiscal conservatism are based on the idea that the government is taking money from deserving parties who earned it and giving it to undeserving ones who didn't.  That can very easily overlap with stereotypes about some races being lazier or more immoral than others, but it works with other groups too.

The whole "fiscal conservative when out of power, blow up deficits from both ends while in it" shtick is more of a political long game kind of thing. Republicans are right now creating the deficits that they will run against when Democrats are back in power.  Just like the deficits from W's wars, tax cuts and programs, which exploded after the economy crashed, were used to fuel the rise of the Tea Party and wipe out the anti-W wave of 06 and Obama wave of 08. It's not a complicated playbook; it doesn't need to be as long as voters keep falling for it.