Author Topic: Is Yabusele a Bust or Was the 2016 Draft Weak?  (Read 6999 times)

Re: Is Yabusele a Bust or Was the 2016 Draft Weak?
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2018, 02:06:17 PM »

Offline TomHeinsohn

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Yabu is a bust AND the 2016 draft was weak.

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2018, 03:23:18 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
The Anthony Mason comp is one of the best that I’ve heard, much better than the Draymond comp. Small forward height, power forward build, big, skilled hands and excellent handles. Also, great footwork – you seem to be referring to foot speed here, which is something else. I'm a little annoyed by the "Dancing Bear" nickname - but it does encapsulate his unusual combination of size and foot dexterity.

At present, he is nothing like Anthony Mason.  He is not a solid rebounder.   Here are Mason's career averages:

PTS 10.9

TRB  8.3

AST 3.4

Note that he is a good rebounder and passer.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/masonan01.html

Yabusele has not demonstrated skill in either of those areas to a high degree.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/y/yabusgu01.html

Your per game stats don't make a good comparison, even if we weren't comparing Yabu's spot minutes as a rookie to Mason's entire career. Yabusele is averaging 5 minutes a game.

As I said, the sample size being small, the rebounding numbers for him are encouraging.

In order to compare "apples to apples", I'll use rebound percentages.

Mason (career): 7.4% Offensive/20.1% Defensive

Yabusele:  12.2% Offensive/18.4% Defensive

For further comparison, Yabu is about where Horford was last season, and Mason is about where Olynyk was - for defensive rebounding.

The sample size is tiny, but Yabusele's offensive rebrates are very encouraging. If those can translate to a larger sample size, it's another bullet point in his uniqueness.

Here's points per 100 possessions:

Mason: 16.7

Yabusele: 17.7

As I mentioned above, a guy who can put it on the floor and shoot with range really needs to get better at making plays. That is definitely a growth area for Yabusele, as I said, along with other aspects of the team game on both ends. 

The basis on which I made the comparison was overall build combined with great footwork, hands, and handles - rather than any particular statistics. Apart from the difference in age beginning their NBA play and the obvious fact that it's dubious comparing a rookie's play before the all-star break to a whole career, the game was different in Mason's time, both in terms of the rules and in how the game was played.

Yabusele is 22 and has played 110 minutes. Mason played his 130th minute at age 25.

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 07:21:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The Anthony Mason comp is one of the best that I’ve heard, much better than the Draymond comp. Small forward height, power forward build, big, skilled hands and excellent handles. Also, great footwork – you seem to be referring to foot speed here, which is something else. I'm a little annoyed by the "Dancing Bear" nickname - but it does encapsulate his unusual combination of size and foot dexterity.

At present, he is nothing like Anthony Mason.  He is not a solid rebounder.   Here are Mason's career averages:

PTS 10.9

TRB  8.3

AST 3.4

Note that he is a good rebounder and passer.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/masonan01.html

Yabusele has not demonstrated skill in either of those areas to a high degree.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/y/yabusgu01.html
so, you compare yabusele, who has played in 22 nba games to the CAREER STATS of anthony mason, who played in 882 nba games. why?

let's try this, if we are in the business of comparisons - compare yabusele's first year of rebounding to mason's first year of rebounding.

yabusele = 1.4 rpg
mason - 1.6 rpg

obviously both suck eggs and have no future in the nba.  ::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Your per game stats don't make a good comparison, even if we weren't comparing Yabu's spot minutes as a rookie to Mason's entire career. Yabusele is averaging 5 minutes a game.

As I said, the sample size being small, the rebounding numbers for him are encouraging.

In order to compare "apples to apples", I'll use rebound percentages.

Mason (career): 7.4% Offensive/20.1% Defensive

Yabusele:  12.2% Offensive/18.4% Defensive

For further comparison, Yabu is about where Horford was last season, and Mason is about where Olynyk was - for defensive rebounding.

The sample size is tiny, but Yabusele's offensive rebrates are very encouraging. If those can translate to a larger sample size, it's another bullet point in his uniqueness.

Here's points per 100 possessions:

Mason: 16.7

Yabusele: 17.7

As I mentioned above, a guy who can put it on the floor and shoot with range really needs to get better at making plays. That is definitely a growth area for Yabusele, as I said, along with other aspects of the team game on both ends. 

The basis on which I made the comparison was overall build combined with great footwork, hands, and handles - rather than any particular statistics. Apart from the difference in age beginning their NBA play and the obvious fact that it's dubious comparing a rookie's play before the all-star break to a whole career, the game was different in Mason's time, both in terms of the rules and in how the game was played.

Yabusele is 22 and has played 110 minutes. Mason played his 130th minute at age 25.

My stats don't make good comparisons they are way better than you cherry picking the rebounding % stat to make the comparison.

How can you post something like that with a straight face, just cherry picking one stat.   Still that being said, he is not the passer that Mason is and not the defender.   So I got news for you , you're wrong.   Then BSing how the rules were played, the trouble with Yabusele in a nutshell is that CBS won't play him for some reason:

1)  Either he does not think he is ready for more than minute crumbs
2) He does not trust him
3)  He does not like his game
4) Conditioning issues
5) All of the above.

I think its too early, but I don't concur that he is true physical freak who can impose his athletic on other players.   More he plays, I think the more he will be exposed.   I think a lot of it is lack of confidence on his part.   Confidence players are always all over the place.