Author Topic: Is Yabusele a Bust or Was the 2016 Draft Weak?  (Read 7044 times)

Re: Yabusele a bust or was the 2016 draft weak?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:30 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Yabu is a physical freak. If his BBIQ every catches up to that he'll be a serviceable player.
Is he really a physical freak for the NBA?  He is a big strong guy who seems to have fairly quick feet for his size.  But how do we know that most players who are very athletic wouldn't retain Yabu's level of foot quickness if they intentionally packed on muscle?  I don't see him as a freak, unless you consider someone like Anthony Mason a physical freak.  Give me a skinny blur of a point guard or a Tony Allen type of athlete any day.

Yabu is crazy quick for a guy his size. He's at least 280 and moves like a small forward. He's not LeBron but he is still in that physical freak range. Anthony Mason was a physical freak, not a great player, but a good one and an athletic freak.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
  Yabu is crazy quick for a guy his size. He's at least 280 and moves like a small forward. He's not LeBron but he is still in that physical freak range

You just lost all credibility claiming that Yabusele is in the same athletic range as LeBron.   That is patently absurd.  Reading that made me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

He can move for a guy his size, his hands are decent but he does not even have remotely the leaping or explosive athletic ability that James possess.

It's early to gauge where he is at.    But he looks like a guy who is never going to pan out to me.   I hope I am wrong.     It looks like the rare Ainge over reach.  He is raw and thus far he has not moved the dial about that being raw and is still raw.   

I am not sure he has the correct mental attitude.   He should be a bull in the China Shop out there but all too often he seems around to break the China and use his build.

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
The Yabusele and Zizic picks at 16 and 23 that year honestly astonished me, and frankly I had no clue who they were up to that point (Yabusele especially).

There were so many other guys who were higher than them on mocks and rumored to be chosen by Ainge, and yet he chose these two??

From what I've heard, he did it to maintain roster flexibility and so he could stash some of the picks (which he did), but yeah honestly in regards to Yabusele, the potential is there but it will take a lot of time for it to get fulfilled. I see him as a rotation player at best.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 12:56:30 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
The Yabusele and Zizic picks at 16 and 23 that year honestly astonished me, and frankly I had no clue who they were up to that point (Yabusele especially).

There were so many other guys who were higher than them on mocks and rumored to be chosen by Ainge, and yet he chose these two??

From what I've heard, he did it to maintain roster flexibility and so he could stash some of the picks (which he did), but yeah honestly in regards to Yabusele, the potential is there but it will take a lot of time for it to get fulfilled. I see him as a rotation player at best.

I specifically said "He's no LeBron" I just think for his size and weight he's a physical freak. He's not the physical freak LeBron is.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Yabu is a physical freak. If his BBIQ every catches up to that he'll be a serviceable player.
Is he really a physical freak for the NBA?  He is a big strong guy who seems to have fairly quick feet for his size.  But how do we know that most players who are very athletic wouldn't retain Yabu's level of foot quickness if they intentionally packed on muscle?  I don't see him as a freak, unless you consider someone like Anthony Mason a physical freak.  Give me a skinny blur of a point guard or a Tony Allen type of athlete any day.

Yabu is crazy quick for a guy his size. He's at least 280 and moves like a small forward. He's not LeBron but he is still in that physical freak range. Anthony Mason was a physical freak, not a great player, but a good one and an athletic freak.
Another way to look at it is that he lacks the skills to do many of the things that 4’s and 5’s can do so he runs around doing small forward type things.  I like Yabu.  He’s my favorite garbage time player on the team, and I think his motor and touch could make him a decent player some day.  But I see him as more of a below average athlete than a freak athlete.  Also, don’t confuse a motor with athleticism.

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I do not understand how anyone thinks they can pronounce a player a bust halfway through their rookie season. It makes no sense to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 04:57:00 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Another way to look at it is that he lacks the skills to do many of the things that 4’s and 5’s can do so he runs around doing small forward type things.  I like Yabu.  He’s my favorite garbage time player on the team, and I think his motor and touch could make him a decent player some day.  But I see him as more of a below average athlete than a freak athlete.  Also, don’t confuse a motor with athleticism.

I am not confusing motor with athleticism, I think the Dancing Bear has both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnHP7rOYwz8

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 07:22:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I think it's likely that every 1st round draft pick in the CBlog era, with the exception of JB and JT has been referred to as a "bust". 

Yabu is simply not a bust yet.  He might be someday. 

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 07:51:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Death, taxes, and “player x is a bust” threads on cb. :P

Bradley was a bust in year one.

Rozier was a bust in year one.

Another sad thread emerges from the clamor for immediate gratification.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Thoughts?

My thoughts are it's way too early to judge a kid as raw and inexperienced as Yabusele playing in his first season.

Re: Is Yabusele a Bust or Was the 2016 Draft Weak?
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
So far the only skill he's really displayed is a thorough understanding of NBA garbagetime as he comes in and immediately starts jacking up 3's.  As far as skills that will make him a bona-fide NBA rotation player one day, to date he's shown nothing. 

It's still early but I'm leaning towards bust.

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 11:51:41 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Is Yabusele a bust? Yes, most likely he is. Let's not make this more complicated than it is.

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 12:01:46 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
So far the only skill he's really displayed is a thorough understanding of NBA garbagetime as he comes in and immediately starts jacking up 3's.  As far as skills that will make him a bona-fide NBA rotation player one day, to date he's shown nothing. 

Yabu Per 36: FG% .406 3PT .364 TRB 10.1 AST 2.0 STL .3 BLK .3 PTS 12.8

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Yabu Per 36: FG% .406 3PT .364 TRB 10.1 AST 2.0 STL .3 BLK .3 PTS 12.8

He hasn't played enough minutes for those numbers to have any meaning.

I'm in the "way to early to call him a bust" camp.