Author Topic: Cetlcis end of the bench contract structure  (Read 687 times)

Cetlcis end of the bench contract structure
« on: February 07, 2018, 06:51:18 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Looking into possible minor trades I thought it would point out how great the contracts are of Nader, Semi and to a slightly lesser extent Theis.

Semi Ojeleye   $1,291,892   $1,378,242   $1,618,520   $1,752,950       
Abdel Nader   $1,167,333   $1,378,242   $1,618,520   $1,752,950       
Daniel Theis   $815,615   $1,378,242   $1,803,638 (qualifying offer)   

red = non guaranteed
green = team option

Semi and Nader's deal particularly are important in that they give the team flexibility and stability. The team can retain two cheap bench players for 4 season with the ability to use them as non guaranteed trade chips when needed. I suspect DA keep with this pattern and K Allen and or J Bird will be offered similar contracts next season. This may become the ideal end of the roster building path. Sign two players to 2 way deal as rookies then sign then to the Semi style deal in their second season. This allows team a great path to develop fringe NBA talent into via rotational players.

Given that the Cs own 2nd round picks are owed in trades the next two seasons. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Celtics acquire at least 1 later 2nd round pick with this plan in mind.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Cetlcis end of the bench contract structure
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
GMs around the league are quickly realizing the value of rookie-scale contracts.  If the rooks are any good at all, it allows them to use more of the salary cap on better players/vets.

1st round picks are gold, not because of the prospect of getting an elite player, but because a team can bring in a serviceable player on rookie scale.

Re: Cetlcis end of the bench contract structure
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 09:12:13 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Agree on the usefulness of rookie scale rotation players.

Always wondered why late first and second round picks tend to not go to useful 4-year players with solid role player games. Too useful to save cap room. I imagine as the repeater tax starts to come into play, teams will look to duplicate the success of Boston and San Antonio with their young depth development.