Poll

Did Brown made Smart expendable defensively?

Yes
9 (42.9%)
No
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Does Brown's Improvement on Defense Make Smart Expendable?  (Read 1433 times)

Does Brown's Improvement on Defense Make Smart Expendable?
« on: February 06, 2018, 03:27:56 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
We all know you need switchy and stubborn defenders for the playoffs. To put them on the opponents best players (usually a wing) in a series.
I believe that both JB and MS have that ability.
To lock in on locking down those players.

As K O'C I am not a fan of defensive stats, so I won't present them. I'll stick to the "Eye test" this time.

I know it wouldn't hurt to have two (or three) of those guys on the same team, but one is really a necessity to make a deep run.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:19:18 PM by Redz »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Did Browns improvement on defensive made Smart expendable?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
You need more than one, or even two, considering the amount of switching that occurs in our defense, and in most NBA teams defense.   Horford, Tatum, Brown, Ojeleye, Rozier and Smart all play those roles.  Perhaps that does make the defense of any one guy a little less important.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:08:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It is a combination of things.

Brown's improved play.   Rozier's improved play.   Tatum unexpected good play.   Larkin's unexpected good play.

Throw in the possible cap ramifications for next year.

You have Smart rumors.

Of course the more interesting followup is if the offers are underwhelming, does it make the Celtics feel like it may be easier to resign Smart?

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 04:15:32 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
i think it made Bradley expendable. Boston had the smallest backcourt in the league last year, a weakness that was exposed repeatedly in the playoffs. That’s now fixed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 04:27:55 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 04:27:40 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
i think it made Bradley expendable. Boston went from having the smallest backcourt in the league to one of the largest/longest.

Kind of how I see it. Bradley was loved and overrated immensely by bloggers here. His defense was fun to watch, but not as effective, although he had to make up for defensive lapses in Isaiah Thomas, so... I don't know.

I would say Brown improved greatly, so obviously keeping both Smart and Brown would keep our defense solid and consistent with 1st and 2nd units.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Does Brown's Improvement on Defense Make Smart Expendable?
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 05:43:35 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Brown is the clear starter, and both guys are always on the floor at the end of games, so I don't think they really compete directly.

If he goes, it will be because we can get Tyreke Evans, and because Terry Rozier is too good to bury on the bench.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I feel like Rozier is more the guy that makes Smart expendable.  Jaylen plays an entirely different position in Brad's system - an athletic wing.  Even though technically he is the starting 2 guard, he plays more of a wing than a guard in our system.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
There's a reason the Celtics are by far the best defensive team in the league basically at this point.  It's that they have Horford, Smart, Baynes, Brown, Tatum, Rozier, Theis AND Ojeleye.  Some of this talk lately loses sight of that strength of having the guys down that list there are strong defenders while some other teams have maybe one or two guys like that.  It is possible that you can give up some defense for offense of course but there is a cost to that.

Right now the team isn't going to change.  They will add Monroe and be great.  After the season we will see what happens with Smart.  I think he is an elite defender and he impacts the game a ton from that alone.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 08:19:32 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The things that smart does nobody else does.  It’s not just man defense.  He agitates, he brings physicality, he brings toughness and attitude.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:50:02 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
The things that smart does nobody else does.  It’s not just man defense.  He agitates, he brings physicality, he brings toughness and attitude.

TP After tonight's game against Toronto where the 2nd team was completely helpless on defense Marcus surely could helped disrupt Toronto's rhythm.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:46:41 PM by Alleyoopster »