Author Topic: Lakers Fined for Tampering After Magic Johnson's Giannis Antetokounmpo Remarks  (Read 2189 times)

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Magic is quickly learning that his gift for gab is not necessarily the best quality for an NBA executive.

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
At no point did he mention the Lakers. In fact, he talked about the Greek Freak's ability to bring a championship to Milwaukee, but he was effusive in his praise of the MVP candidate to Friedell:

Tampering rules are clearly dumb.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
At no point did he mention the Lakers. In fact, he talked about the Greek Freak's ability to bring a championship to Milwaukee, but he was effusive in his praise of the MVP candidate to Friedell:

Tampering rules are clearly dumb.

The moment he started to talk about GF, I felt it was cute tampering.  Telling GF how much he was like Magic, only better. The implication being that if you join the Lakers, I will teach you everything I know so that you will be as great and as famous as me.

Of course, I am extremely biased as a Celtic fan, which by nature makes me anti-Laker. Let's just say my radar was on full alert. Glad to see the NBA's was as well. Wish they would dock them a pick or two, but seems like they have none left!!

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
this feels so much different than the PG tampering charges, all he did was praise Giannis, at no point had he remotely mentioned the Lakers...

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I honestly don’t see what’s wrong with this and how this might be considered “tampering” by Magic.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I honestly don’t see what’s wrong with this and how this might be considered “tampering” by Magic.

Yeah,  this one seems like a stretch by the league here. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Eh, who cares.  With star players forcing trades to choice destinations, this stuff seems like small change.  I actually enjoy reading stories about Pat Riley's sleazy dealings.     
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Well, the rest of the league has to go out of their way not to mention players on other teams by name. I think that rule is a bit too strict, but it's appropriate to punish an infringement of that rule.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
That isn't tampering or every time a coach answers a question about the tough matchup in the game he is about to play, it is tampering.  I mean imagine a reporter asking Stevens about Lebron before the ECF last year, and Stevens says something fairly similar to what Magic said.  Are the Celtics going to get fined for tampering?  I mean that is just nonsense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Magic is quickly learning that his gift for gab is not necessarily the best quality for an NBA executive.
TP.

The battlefield is strewn with former great players who became mediocre coaches, GMs or owners.  Other ones include the 1st Isaiah Thomas and Michael Jordan.

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
That isn't tampering or every time a coach answers a question about the tough matchup in the game he is about to play, it is tampering.  I mean imagine a reporter asking Stevens about Lebron before the ECF last year, and Stevens says something fairly similar to what Magic said.  Are the Celtics going to get fined for tampering?  I mean that is just nonsense.
i think this has to do with his recent history of tampering with paul george

if he didn't already talk about getting PG then i don't think he'd be slapped with this fine
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I'm not sure about the exact rules but I've heard guys like Ainge and Morey admit during interviews that they can't speak about a player specifically, so they change what they are saying a bit.

So there is a line somewhere and I'm not surprised that the League determined that Magic crossed it. They may be a little more strict because this is a "second offense" within a year too.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
i think this has to do with his recent history of tampering with paul george

if he didn't already talk about getting PG then i don't think he'd be slapped with this fine

yes, Magic has a track record for tampering, and it just got a little longer.  Plus, this is not simply the case of a GM admiring another's team's player. He was comparing the player to himself, a basketball legend, with the implication that if he got his hands on him, he could groom him to be his successor.  That is why the league jumped on him, and rightfully so. To say Magic's comment is just like any other GM's praise is disingenuous.