Author Topic: My crazy non celtics trade  (Read 1474 times)

My crazy non celtics trade
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:43:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I listen to alot of NBA podcast any every one pretty much starts and ends with "what will the Cavs do".

Having listened to that for a few months I have come up with the following trade.

Cavs get D Jordan, K Bazemore, M Belinelli, and D Dedmon

ATL gets K Love, I Shumpert, and J Calderon

Clippers get T Thompson, Cavs 2018 1st, Minn 2018 1st (via ATL) and Houston 2018 1st (via ATL)

The Logic,

Cavs, in Bazemore they add the perimeter defender they desperately need. He is over paid but given the long term salaries they move in the deal I think that can be tolerated. Belinelli is an expiring deal and a lethal shooter who will benefit playing next to lebron. D Jordan is a big step in fixing their defense and Dedmon is the ideal backup who has added a 3pt shot. Aside from Bazemore they are all off the books next year. Post lebron maybe the Cavs resign Dedmon and IT and go into 2018/2019 with IT, Bazemore, Jae, Nets pick and Dedmon as the starting 5.

ATL, they are deep into the tank and taking on the injured Love might make sense. They are a lock for a top 5 pick in an elite draft. Creating a core of Love Schroder, Prince and this years lottery pick might be enough to take them out of the eastern basement next season. Bringing in an elite prospect like Ayton,Doncic or Bagely it might make sense to start trying to win sooner rather then sitting for multiple year at the bottom and Love would help with that.

Clippers, they get two 1st for Jordan and 1 st for taking on Thompson's deal. This is the weakest part of the trade but adding 3 first round picks even if they are all in the 20s isn't a bad haul for a soon to be 30 year old FA big man.       
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: My crazy non celtics trade
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
I'd be surprised if ATL did this kind of trade without getting back future draft considerations either.

They basically give up all that for Kevin Love??
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I'd be surprised if ATL did this kind of trade without getting back future draft considerations either.

The trade is predicated on the assumption that taking Love away from Lebron will return him to the 20+ppg 10+RPG player he was in Minn. Trading for 2 years of that player is worth it.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 10:20:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

The trade is predicated on the assumption that taking Love away from Lebron will return him to the 20+ppg 10+RPG player he was in Minn. Trading for 2 years of that player is worth it.
Yeah but Bazemore, Dedmon, Bellineli and 2 first for basically an injured Love is ridiculously lopsided. Atlanta never makes that trade, irregardlous of what they expect Love to return to, which is possible but not 100% likely. I doubt Love ever returns to the 25+ PPG, 14 RPG guy he was in Minnesota. He most likely is the 20PPG, 10 RPG player or so that he is in Cleveland

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 10:39:03 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Cavs should do IT and the Nets pick for Kemba.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

Yeah but Bazemore, Dedmon, Bellineli and 2 first for basically an injured Love is ridiculously lopsided. Atlanta never makes that trade, irregardlous of what they expect Love to return to, which is possible but not 100% likely. I doubt Love ever returns to the 25+ PPG, 14 RPG guy he was in Minnesota. He most likely is the 20PPG, 10 RPG player or so that he is in Cleveland

Exactly this.

And the Blake Griffin trade was similar BUT made because DET felt they could contend in a somewhat wide open East with Griffin on a 5 year deal and young.

The Hawks aren't close to contending even after this trade and they lose two first rounders. (DET gave up only one first and a second for Griffin)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 06:10:52 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

Exactly this.

And the Blake Griffin trade was similar BUT made because DET felt they could contend in a somewhat wide open East with Griffin on a 5 year deal and young.

The Hawks aren't close to contending even after this trade and they lose two first rounders. (DET gave up only one first and a second for Griffin)

I will agree 100% an argument can be made that ATL should instead look to move Bellineli, Ilyasova and Dedmon for additional assets rather then giving up assets and adding a player like Love. In fact the opposite of this would be to trade those three expiring players to a team for an unwanted player and picks.

This comes down to a franchises philosophy. Is it better to totally bottom out and stay bottomed out in order to obtain high end talent and grow a young core from the ground up or put in place a good team around a few young building blocks allowing them to compete while they develop.

Looking at the bottom of the east it isn't a stretch to think that a core of Love, Schroeder, Prince, and Ayton/Bagely could be a 7th or 8th seed next year with the right FA signings. ATL may value this more then a return to the bottom of the lottery.

As for the trade compared to Blake's, I would actually look at the trade as Bazemore and a 1st for Shump as a salary clearing move. Then Dedmon, Bellineli and a 1st for Love. Given that every player going out is expiring and the 1st are in the 20s I think this compares favorably to the Blake trade.

It also should be noted that the length of Blake's deal is a negative not a positive.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet