Author Topic: "The Last Jedi" (Not Spoiler-Free)  (Read 17167 times)

Re: "The Last Jedi" (Not Spoiler-Free)
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2018, 07:19:02 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
One quick thought following up on Snoke. Early in the movie he somehow manages to use the force on general Hux even though Snoke is not really there, he is just viewed via projection. That suggests he can project himself anywhere and still use the force on people as if he were really there. Thus, he could have never actually been in the throne room, it could have been a projection of Snoke, who allowed Kylo Ren to think he killed him, but he is not dead, he was never there to begin with. This would be totally in line with Snoke's character as a very clever master who excels in manipulation.
I would think combining powers at that level probably isn't likely but seeing what happened with the dice, does that say yes you can project and manipulate objects?
One problem I would have is if it drained Luke to project and interact a little to the point he died how does Snoke survive when he was projecting, flinging stuff around and mind reading people. I'd think if he wasn't there he'd be dead anyways. Or at best he would be a sith Ghost.

Or he's older and more powerful than Luke ever was?  The dice are certainly a great clue, and were hinted at strongly at the end of the film. The images of Snoke's 'corpse' were just weird, something was off. Nothing would be more badass and manipulative than totally screwing with Kylo's mind by making him think he killed Snoke, and nothing would be a better way to test Kylo's true nature than that.
Maybe they will try to save Snoke that way but I doubt it. I feel they just wanted to Snoke to die by Kylo using Snoke's own mind trick against him. The trick being Snoke manipulated and tricked Rey and Kylo with false visions, Kylo manipulated Snoke with a false vision to kill him.

I think there is more to Snoke than let on. Theres that symbol on the floor of the temple, it's of the prime Jedi, split in half, one side light, one side dark wearing a gold cloack. And if you notice Snokes head is split down the middle.

There are stories of Force users that use Mindtricks, he could have done this if he is the Prime Jedi.  For one reason why would he say Rey was Rens true enemy. It would be more likely Luke over Rey. He wants Rey to join him. Even if Ren was thinking it to trick Snoke, Snoke would have figured that out. Also why did Snokes guards attack Ren and Rey if he's dead. Who are they fighting for? I think Snoke wants Rens power for himself but needed him to make the choice of darkside to do it, and nothing screams dark side then an apprentice killing the master.

I could see Snoke draining Ren of Darkside force, leaving a weakend Ben Solo.
I have been going over similar theories for Snoke, and some of them are certainly plausible. However, I have literally no faith in Disney to do anything remotely right

If you guys honestly think JJ Abrams and Co are going to unveil some secret brilliant narrative then i have a bridge to sell you.

They have zero idea of what they are doing, and are banking on nostalgia, confusion, and huge advertising money to keep people distracted from this fact until they can milk enough money from this cash cow to recoup their losses.

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2018, 07:25:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
One quick thought following up on Snoke. Early in the movie he somehow manages to use the force on general Hux even though Snoke is not really there, he is just viewed via projection. That suggests he can project himself anywhere and still use the force on people as if he were really there. Thus, he could have never actually been in the throne room, it could have been a projection of Snoke, who allowed Kylo Ren to think he killed him, but he is not dead, he was never there to begin with. This would be totally in line with Snoke's character as a very clever master who excels in manipulation.
I would think combining powers at that level probably isn't likely but seeing what happened with the dice, does that say yes you can project and manipulate objects?
One problem I would have is if it drained Luke to project and interact a little to the point he died how does Snoke survive when he was projecting, flinging stuff around and mind reading people. I'd think if he wasn't there he'd be dead anyways. Or at best he would be a sith Ghost.

Or he's older and more powerful than Luke ever was?  The dice are certainly a great clue, and were hinted at strongly at the end of the film. The images of Snoke's 'corpse' were just weird, something was off. Nothing would be more badass and manipulative than totally screwing with Kylo's mind by making him think he killed Snoke, and nothing would be a better way to test Kylo's true nature than that.
Maybe they will try to save Snoke that way but I doubt it. I feel they just wanted to Snoke to die by Kylo using Snoke's own mind trick against him. The trick being Snoke manipulated and tricked Rey and Kylo with false visions, Kylo manipulated Snoke with a false vision to kill him.

I think there is more to Snoke than let on. Theres that symbol on the floor of the temple, it's of the prime Jedi, split in half, one side light, one side dark wearing a gold cloack. And if you notice Snokes head is split down the middle.

There are stories of Force users that use Mindtricks, he could have done this if he is the Prime Jedi.  For one reason why would he say Rey was Rens true enemy. It would be more likely Luke over Rey. He wants Rey to join him. Even if Ren was thinking it to trick Snoke, Snoke would have figured that out. Also why did Snokes guards attack Ren and Rey if he's dead. Who are they fighting for? I think Snoke wants Rens power for himself but needed him to make the choice of darkside to do it, and nothing screams dark side then an apprentice killing the master.

I have been going over similar theories for Snoke, and some of them are certainly plausible. However, I have literally no faith in Disney to do anything remotely right

If you guys honestly think JJ Abrams and Co are going to unveil some secret brilliant narrative then i have a bridge to sell you.

They have zero idea of what they are doing, and are banking on nostalgia, confusion, and huge advertising money to keep people distracted from this fact until they can milk enough money from this cash cow to recoup their losses.
100% agree. As soon as they decided that all the other Star Wars stories weren't canon I knew it was all going incredibly downhill incredibly quickly. Such a shame
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2018, 08:02:36 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Kind of feel the same way we are reaching for underlying explanations and expanded story lines. Disney just wants summer blockbuster type movies for December. It's to sell merchandise to under 13 kids they won't get complicated

« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Snoke plays exactly the same role the Emperor did in the original trilogy - shadowy mastermind with basically 0 backstory shows up first as a giant hologram then in person in his throne room to test the main hero and villain while the good guy fleet is getting ambushed and picked off.

Maybe that's to mirror the Emperor's role, maybe it's to add some major twist in the next one, but it's definitely not by accident.

100% agree. As soon as they decided that all the other Star Wars stories weren't canon I knew it was all going incredibly downhill incredibly quickly. Such a shame

As someone who was familiar with most of the other Star Wars stories, ell oh ell. They started off ok and quickly devolved to absurd crap like telepathic bug orgies and this guy:

Lightsaber knees!

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2018, 10:26:14 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Snoke plays exactly the same role the Emperor did in the original trilogy - shadowy mastermind with basically 0 backstory shows up first as a giant hologram then in person in his throne room to test the main hero and villain while the good guy fleet is getting ambushed and picked off.

Maybe that's to mirror the Emperor's role, maybe it's to add some major twist in the next one, but it's definitely not by accident.

As someone who was familiar with most of the other Star Wars stories, ell oh ell. They started off ok and quickly devolved to absurd crap like telepathic bug orgies and this guy:

Lightsaber knees!
At least the execution of the emperor as an evil genius wasn't comically bad. The whole "I know every move you make before you make it" scene while the light saber was rattling around next to him was just laughable and cringeworthy.

And yeah, by no means am I saying they were all good. There are like 200+ stories, of course there were going to be absurd stories lol. But some of them were awesome.

Stories like KOTOR and KOTOR2 (yeah yeah, video games, but still) are some of the best Star Wars stories out there, and they were just sort of tossed to the "Legends" pile with little regard (although Rebels has muddled it a bit).

I just have no faith in Disney whatsoever
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2018, 12:12:23 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Lightsaber knees!
At least the execution of the emperor as an evil genius wasn't comically bad. The whole "I know every move you make before you make it" scene while the light saber was rattling around next to him was just laughable and cringeworthy.

Oh I definitely agree, they're playing off a lot of the same story beats but they rarely develop them as well. Plus we've seen it before. That throneroom scene almost felt like a satire of the Return of the Jedi scene by the end.

And yeah, by no means am I saying they were all good. There are like 200+ stories, of course there were going to be absurd stories lol. But some of them were awesome.

Stories like KOTOR and KOTOR2 (yeah yeah, video games, but still) are some of the best Star Wars stories out there, and they were just sort of tossed to the "Legends" pile with little regard (although Rebels has muddled it a bit).

I just have no faith in Disney whatsoever

Sure, some of the stories were fun, but the stories are still out there, nothing's changed about them.

What I mean is nobody's going to fence themselves in with hundreds of stories of varying quality, mostly unknown outside of hardcore fans, that are mostly about what happens after the original movies. And there's no point in them negotiating through a "Ok Laserknees is out but Prince Xixor is in, except the rape pheromones, they're definitely out" conversation. They're going to leave themselves as much leeway as possible to make new stuff, so "(almost) nothing but the movies counts" is the only logical way to go.

« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
Maybe Disney should have started with "Luke's Jedi Academy" as films for kids and made it more of a even lighter Harry Potter set in Star Wars universe trilogy. Maybe that would show how teaching kids is what made Luke lose his marbles and all hope lol

But seriously if Disney planned to roll out a universe of films they easily could have made movies for serperate audiences and saved themselves a lot of criticism.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:27:44 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2018, 06:23:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like how many Star Wars Fans who have never wrote anything in their life think they could write better than the Disney Guys who have a history of blockbusters.   To those who think they can I would say there is a 99.9% chance that you can't......

« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2018, 06:29:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I like how many Star Wars Fans who have never wrote anything in their life think they could write better than the Disney Guys who have a history of blockbusters.   To those who think they can I would say there is a 99.9% chance that you can't......
a blockbuster (good selling movie) does not equate to a well written movie. On the contrary, the most popular movies seem to be poorly to decent  at best written movies  these days

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I think it's not that they could write better than the authors. I say it's more like if they could write anything with Disney breathing down their necks. Disney expects to earn more from merchandise than ticket sales. That puts a story and the direction of any movie under a lot of creative restrictions and enforced mandates.

While Lucas lost his direction ability he still understood the big story and had sci-fi love. I was glad when Disney took over, hoping for more lighter adventure like the original movie. But Disney weren't creative enough in the first film and then went way off track on the plot and characters' development in the second film. While I understood what each film was trying to do the execution got worse. No movie is perfect but they can do better.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:05:26 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Kind of feel the same way we are reaching for underlying explanations and expanded story lines. Disney just wants summer blockbuster type movies for December. It's to sell merchandise to under 13 kids they won't get complicated

Yup. We can probably set our watches to a new Star Wars flick, complete with new characters and ships to merchandise just in time for Christmas most years.

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So, I just watched this movie the other day, and I actually liked it pretty well, overall.  I found it rather entertaining, and actually didn't mind at all how they portrayed Luke in this movie.  I loved how Luke went from disillusioned, failed master to once again at peace with the force by the end.  The re-introduction of Yoda was a great way to bring Luke back.  And the way Luke went out, with what was probably the strongest use of the force yet, in a very selfless manner, was brilliant.

There were obviously some things I did have major issues with, though.

I really don't like how Rey has a seemingly very strong command of the force with still almost no training at all.  But even worse is how the movie seems to vacillate between her being weak with the force one moment, and then super strong with it the next. On one hand, Snoke easily manipulates Rey and Kylo Ren, and when she faces Snoke he easily overpowers her.  Yet, in the same scene Kylo Ren somehow outwits Snoke, kills him, and then can't beat Rey.  That just logically makes zero sense.  It's not really a big stretch that Snoke and Kylo Ren can takes turns outwitting the other, as Kylo Ren has a lot of experience with the force at this point.  But Rey has no business being able to match Kylo Ren.

I'm fine with Kylo Ren killing Snoke in general, though, and I think it makes a good future plot point, as now Kylo Ren will need to find himself a Sith apprentice.  Obviously he wanted it to be Rey, which makes sense, but those scenes were poorly written overall.

But even worse than this was how the movie handled Leia.  I really hated that whole scene where she gets blown into space, and then for the first time in the entire series shows a level of use of the force that is completely inconsistent with her character.  It would have made more sense to either let her die right then, or just not have that happen at all.  I mean, I get why it probably was best for her to make it through until the final scenes where she interacts with Luke's projection, but having her use the force like that to save herself was just bad writing.

Also, I think it was probably a mistake to not kill her character off at some point in the movie, though.  Now the writers have a serious problem of how to handle Leia's character in the next movie.  I don't have a lot of faith they're going to be able to resolve this very well.

Lastly, I didn't like how Yoda was able to cause a bolt of lightning to strike the tree or somehow strike Luke with his cane.  Force ghosts aren't supposed to be able to actually physically interact with the living world.  This was just really careless writing, and rather unnecessary.  There had to be a better way to convey the same message Yoda was trying to teach Luke, without breaking from established theory on how the force works.

Like I said, overall I liked this movie a good bit, but feel it could have been a great movie if the writers had just used a little more logic in handling certain aspects.