Author Topic: Globe: C’s want own 1st round picks for larger future move, Prefer Tyreke to Lou  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
How much future value is the guy we pick 28th in the draft going to have?

More now then the day of the trade deadline.

I think more value than a 2 month bench rental (albeit a very good bench rental) in a season where it might not alter our ultimate season outcome all that much.

I think Danny is expecting some buyout opportunities and is willing to wait if Memphis won't do the deal he wants.  I am OK with that.  This is not a big deal either way.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

More now than the day of the trade deadline.
DA has always operated with MO that he won't give up future assets for rentals. I get that, but for me, finals appearance this year (meaning Tyreke for the pick) is more valuable in the long term than 28th selection in the draft.

I agree with this. The 28th pick in this draft has no future value unless it's traded for a future 1st so why not use it for this year's run and Tyreke.

I think so too. We should get a clue soon about whether Danny and Brad agree with us; They probably only make that move if they think we have a good shot of getting through to the finals.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 08:45:38 AM by Sophomore »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Been saying all along that 28th pick may be a bust..give me a proven player any day..just look at our recent late picks..me lo, young, sullinger, Pruitt, etc..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston already has a bench full of young guys that fit the profile of someone taken with the 28th pick in the first round. That pick really has not a lot of value and could be a draft and stash pick if they keep it.

I do not think they make a trade. I think they just find someone off the buyout scrap heap...like Marco Belinelli

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
I believe Boston wants to keep 2018st so they can trade all of 4 2019st (Kings, Grizzlies, Clippers and own) to AD
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Boston want's their picks for flexibility.  Does a star player become available, can they move up in the draft with multiple picks etc.  Boston will be up against the luxury tax and will start paying it when/if Kyrie signs an extension.  The c's still need to draft young cheap talent.  Theis is signed only for 2 years.  Nadar is extremely replaceable.  Baynes is a FA, Larkin is a FA.  There will be open roster spots and the C's like to develop young talent that can be moved in larger trades.  If Ainge hits on a good to great player on 1 of every 4 picks they need the picks to cycle through the James Youngs (17) versus the Avery Bradleys (19)

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I think more value than a 2 month bench rental (albeit a very good bench rental) in a season where it might not alter our ultimate season outcome all that much.

I think Danny is expecting some buyout opportunities and is willing to wait if Memphis won't do the deal he wants.  I am OK with that.  This is not a big deal either way.

Exactly.

You can get good players late in the draft in the last few years as well.  We got Semi late in our last draft and he can play and has legit potential. That's an asset.

The Celtics aren't trading anything of value.  Evans isn't coming here.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
How are the Celtics stacking #1 picks and then possibly trading them when I thought you couldn't trade 3 consecutive #1 picks! (Ex: 2018, 2019, 2020)

Can you do it if you have multiple #1s in each year?

Anyone, anyone???

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
How are the Celtics stacking #1 picks and then possibly trading them when I thought you couldn't trade 3 consecutive #1 picks! (Ex: 2018, 2019, 2020)

Anyone, anyone???

Yes you just need at least 1 every other year

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
I believe Boston wants to keep 2018st so they can trade all of 4 2019st (Kings, Grizzlies, Clippers and own) to AD

This is exactly the point I tried to make in another thread last week, but a small part of the braintrust here couldn't understand the concept.

TP to you.

Re: Globe:
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 10:15:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Edit: repeated topic.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
What Willie Gomez dude from NY seems like a cheap get with upside talent

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Anyone, anyone???

Yes you just need at least 1 every other year

And that is part of the value of keeping the pick.  It allows flexibility to trade other picks.

This isn't really about matching the value of Evans to the pick or not.  For example, I bet Cleveland would trade their pick for Evans and it would be a smart deal.  A rental has more immediate value for them as things might blow up after this season.

For us, Evans would be a fine enough pick up for this season but we have our sights set further down the road.  We don't need to be like Cleveland in this case.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Exactly.

You can get good players late in the draft in the last few years as well.  We got Semi late in our last draft and he can play and has legit potential. That's an asset.

What is Semih’s value? A future # 2?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Exactly.

What is Semih’s value? A future # 2?

A likely rotation player locked up for cheap for years?  He's a basketball player that plays for cheap.  We will need those, more than a shortsighted rental we give up real assets for.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford