Author Topic: Would Bron Bron, Cavs and Lakers do this trade?  (Read 4364 times)

Re: Would Bron Bron, Cavs and Lakers do this trade?
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 06:49:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/breaking-news-sports/lebron-james-will-not-waive-no-trade-clause-source-confirms

Do you think part of this is that he just hates Gilbert and wants to stick it to him every chance he gets? It would make Gilbert's life easier is he either

1) Knew James was staying and he would commit to it
2) Knew James was leaving and would let him get something instead of nothing

I think the rumors that Gilbert wants to sell the team make Lebron even more likely to leave and crush the value of the franchise. It really seems like he hates that guy and there are these stories planted to the media about how his inner circle never forgave gilbert for the comic sans letter. Now that Gilbert is not offering up the Brooklyn pick easily, he is probably extra mad.
Lebron doesn't know what he is going to do so he can't tell anyone since he just doesn't know.  I say this a lot on here and you don't seem to believe it, but Lebron legitimately does not know what he is going to do until after the season.  It has been that way every single time he has hit the summer as a free agent.  Thus, he can't tell the Cavs he is staying or he is going because he actually hasn't made that decision.  Once the season ends, he will weigh his options, meet with people, etc. and make a determination on what he is going to do.  He will then flip flop a few times before finally reaching that final decision.  That has been his m.o. his entire career.  It isn't going to change now.
I agree but with a caveat. Lebron purposely sets it up that he doesn't know what he is going to do each summer so he can put himself in the best place possible for him after he sees what all the scenarios presented to him are. Heck, there may be scenarios that haven't even been rumored about yet that might be presented to him. He keeps all options open. Sounds like a great business move to me.

If this is true, he is screwing himself this year. If Lebron would just tell Gilbert he will opt in next year I am pretty sure Gilbert would be a lot more likely to trade off the Brooklyn pick and go in for the next two years of title contention. However, since he wont, gilbert once, and he is making one of his own available options for the summer less attractive in the process.
This assumes that trading that pick guarantees making Cleveland a sure fire lock to make the Finals the next two years. I wouldn't assume that and its quite possible Lebron has determined it wouldn't. So, its quite possible and maybe quite probable, he didn't screw himself this year. This Cleveland team looks more than one really good player away from contending.

Say they got Kemba and Howard and Gilbert didn't care about taking on the salary (and getting rid of IT who is a horrible fit). Then they also make a trade for Bradley. If they were willing to take on salary and move the Brooklyn pick I definitely think that is possible.

Walker, Bradley, Lebron, Love, Howard bench of Wade, Green, Smith... Isn't that a really scary team with a much better defense...
That is assuming a lot, especially what that pick is worth. Remember when Danny couldn't get a lot when trying to use the Brooklyn pick even though Brooklyn was a bottom 3 and worse team in the league? That Brooklyn pick could land between 8 and 10. I am not sure other GMs value a pick in that range as being that good. I wouldn't commit to another year in Cleveland based on Cleveland making a bunch of trades to solidify the roster and make it better than what could be coming out of the west.

I just don't see how Lebron screwed himself over this year by not opting to commit to the Cavs. That team is old, slow, horrible defensively, divided and on a serious decline. Its quite possible Lebron saw this before the season and so decided not to commit. Smart move, IMHO.

Do you think Charlotte would not be interested in Brooklyn draft pick, IT, Thompson and Shumpert for Walker and Howard? That seems like a fair deal (plus whatever it takes to make salaries work)

Then what does it take to get Bradley as an expiring? Osman?
No I don't think Charlotte or LAC would be interested in those trades

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 07:12:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/breaking-news-sports/lebron-james-will-not-waive-no-trade-clause-source-confirms

Do you think part of this is that he just hates Gilbert and wants to stick it to him every chance he gets? It would make Gilbert's life easier is he either

I think the rumors that Gilbert wants to sell the team make Lebron even more likely to leave and crush the value of the franchise. It really seems like he hates that guy and there are these stories planted to the media about how his inner circle never forgave gilbert for the comic sans letter. Now that Gilbert is not offering up the Brooklyn pick easily, he is probably extra mad.
Lebron doesn't know what he is going to do so he can't tell anyone since he just doesn't know.  I say this a lot on here and you don't seem to believe it, but Lebron legitimately does not know what he is going to do until after the season.  It has been that way every single time he has hit the summer as a free agent.  Thus, he can't tell the Cavs he is staying or he is going because he actually hasn't made that decision.  Once the season ends, he will weigh his options, meet with people, etc. and make a determination on what he is going to do.  He will then flip flop a few times before finally reaching that final decision.  That has been his m.o. his entire career.  It isn't going to change now.
I agree but with a caveat. Lebron purposely sets it up that he doesn't know what he is going to do each summer so he can put himself in the best place possible for him after he sees what all the scenarios presented to him are. Heck, there may be scenarios that haven't even been rumored about yet that might be presented to him. He keeps all options open. Sounds like a great business move to me.

If this is true, he is screwing himself this year. If Lebron would just tell Gilbert he will opt in next year I am pretty sure Gilbert would be a lot more likely to trade off the Brooklyn pick and go in for the next two years of title contention. However, since he wont, gilbert once, and he is making one of his own available options for the summer less attractive in the process.
This assumes that trading that pick guarantees making Cleveland a sure fire lock to make the Finals the next two years. I wouldn't assume that and its quite possible Lebron has determined it wouldn't. So, its quite possible and maybe quite probable, he didn't screw himself this year. This Cleveland team looks more than one really good player away from contending.

Say they got Kemba and Howard and Gilbert didn't care about taking on the salary (and getting rid of IT who is a horrible fit). Then they also make a trade for Bradley. If they were willing to take on salary and move the Brooklyn pick I definitely think that is possible.

Walker, Bradley, Lebron, Love, Howard bench of Wade, Green, Smith... Isn't that a really scary team with a much better defense...
That is assuming a lot, especially what that pick is worth. Remember when Danny couldn't get a lot when trying to use the Brooklyn pick even though Brooklyn was a bottom 3 and worse team in the league? That Brooklyn pick could land between 8 and 10. I am not sure other GMs value a pick in that range as being that good. I wouldn't commit to another year in Cleveland based on Cleveland making a bunch of trades to solidify the roster and make it better than what could be coming out of the west.

I just don't see how Lebron screwed himself over this year by not opting to commit to the Cavs. That team is old, slow, horrible defensively, divided and on a serious decline. Its quite possible Lebron saw this before the season and so decided not to commit. Smart move, IMHO.

Do you think Charlotte would not be interested in Brooklyn draft pick, IT, Thompson and Shumpert for Walker and Howard? That seems like a fair deal (plus whatever it takes to make salaries work)

Why? IT would be a name to sell to the fans for losing a crowd favorite in Walker. Howard makes 23 million dollars next year for a rebuilding team. It makes me feel icky to think about improving Cleveland but honestly don't think this is that unrealistic if Lebron committed and they were willing to trade Brooklyn pick.

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 09:56:49 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Why? IT would be a name to sell to the fans for losing a crowd favorite in Walker. Howard makes 23 million dollars next year for a rebuilding team. It makes me feel icky to think about improving Cleveland but honestly don't think this is that unrealistic if Lebron committed and they were willing to trade Brooklyn pick.
They could make that trade without Lebron committing past this year because Walker is a nice piece to add to a team and is signed for more than a year. 

Howard, Walker for Thomas, Thompson, Shumpert, BKN works just fine on the trade checker (and seems like a decent trade for both teams).  The trade could also easily be expanded maybe adding Smith and MKG, Zeller, Lamb, or Williams.  Or maybe the Cavs want less salary this year and more long term flexibility to give up the BKN pick and thus Smith instead of Shumpert is in the trade.  There are a lot of scenarios that would make sense for both teams and that type of trade makes no real difference if James is there next year, since it is really about acquiring Kemba Walker if you are the Cavs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip