Author Topic: Atlanta Hawks Idea  (Read 3526 times)

Re: Atlanta Hawks Idea
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 09:34:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
No thanks.  I don't see a need for Ilyasova with Monroe coming.  Front court should be set.
Ilyasova is pretty much an inferior version of Marcus Morris.
An inferior version that is a better rebounder, better shooter, better shot blocker, better steal generator, who gets to the line more and is less turnover prone.

Morris the much better defender and can create his own shot (Ilyasova can't).

Your "better" stats are a reach and in some cases wrong...

"better rebounder" by 0.4

"better shooter" Morris is better in 3PT% and FT%, but not in FG%.

"better shot blocker" by 0.1

"better steal generator" by 0.3

"gets to the line more" No, he doesn't. 2.7 FTA for Morris, 1.7 for Ilyasova.

"less turnover prone" by 0.3

The differential of these numbers are so minute that the 1.8 MPG more Ersan plays is a likely reason the numbers aren't tied. In addition, Morris has been battling injuries all season, which has hampered his production.
I was using career rates, not totals. 

So for example, Ersan's career RB% is 13.6, while Marcus' is just 9.1 (though they are closer this season).  Similarly, their TOV%, Ersan is 9.1 (9.2 this year), while Marcus is 9.9 (10.1 this year).  Ersan's TS% is 53.6 (56.1 this year), Marcus' is 52.3 (53.5 this year).  Ersan's FTr is .225, Marcus is .220 so they are close there (FTr is the number of FT attempts per FG attempt).  And that is the same all the way through for their rates, which are a much better indicator of those things then totals which are highly dependent not only on minutes but role and other team related things outside the control of the player.

His game has fallen off, so that's an accurate representation of what he currently is.
Just using his rates this year, Ersan out performs Marcus is most of the key stats. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 09:39:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
No thanks.  I don't see a need for Ilyasova with Monroe coming.  Front court should be set.
Ilyasova is pretty much an inferior version of Marcus Morris.
An inferior version that is a better rebounder, better shooter, better shot blocker, better steal generator, who gets to the line more and is less turnover prone.

Morris the much better defender and can create his own shot (Ilyasova can't).

Your "better" stats are a reach and in some cases wrong...

"better rebounder" by 0.4

"better shooter" Morris is better in 3PT% and FT%, but not in FG%.

"better shot blocker" by 0.1

"better steal generator" by 0.3

"gets to the line more" No, he doesn't. 2.7 FTA for Morris, 1.7 for Ilyasova.

"less turnover prone" by 0.3

The differential of these numbers are so minute that the 1.8 MPG more Ersan plays is a likely reason the numbers aren't tied. In addition, Morris has been battling injuries all season, which has hampered his production.
I was using career rates, not totals. 

So for example, Ersan's career RB% is 13.6, while Marcus' is just 9.1 (though they are closer this season).  Similarly, their TOV%, Ersan is 9.1 (9.2 this year), while Marcus is 9.9 (10.1 this year).  Ersan's TS% is 53.6 (56.1 this year), Marcus' is 52.3 (53.5 this year).  Ersan's FTr is .225, Marcus is .220 so they are close there (FTr is the number of FT attempts per FG attempt).  And that is the same all the way through for their rates, which are a much better indicator of those things then totals which are highly dependent not only on minutes but role and other team related things outside the control of the player.

You'd really rather have illy than Morris? Morris can at least slightly bother elite players like Lebron in the playoffs. Illasova being marginally better at steals or blocks (odd) or perhaps a marginally better shooter seems like a strange reason to completely discount defense
Probably not, but I never said I did.  I was merely commenting that Ersan does a lot of things better than Marcus, including spacing the floor, rebounding, etc.  Remember, the trade being proposed was Smart for Ersan and a 1st.  I'd do that trade as the 1st alone can then be flipped for someone like Evans.  So you use that 1st (or Boston's own 1st) plus Nader and Larkin and go after Evans.  So the net result would be Tyreke and Ersan for Smart, Nader, and Larkin which makes a lot of sense to me because I don't see Smart as a long term player on the team and think Tyreke and Ersan actually improve the team a lot more than Smart, Nader, and Larkin do this year.

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 09:49:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I personally don't think Smart is moved and this is just a way to gauge his market value and teach him a lesson.

However if he is really being shopped I would think Bellinelli and the Minn 1st from ATL would make  sense.

Ilyasova is a nice system fit but with Morris on the team its hard to see him carving out a role. Bellineli on the other hand would step right into a major second unit role. He along side Monroe would greatly increase the Cs second unit scoring punch. It also happens to work out that the 3.4 million saved by not giving Monroe the full DPE allows the Cs to trade for Bellinelli without going into the Luxury tax. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 09:52:56 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
If I'm trading with the Hawks I would rather trade a future #2 ( or a bench player) for Bellinelli.  That fills more of a need and the cost would be cheaper.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 10:36:27 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Is Ilyasova a better defender?  I don't think so.  Al was just abusing him the other night, I would assume LBJ would do the same.

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Hawks say Belinelli being held out vs MEM tonight as they discuss a trade.

https://twitter.com/MCunninghamAJC/status/961030363228397575

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 09:50:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Is Ilyasova a better defender?  I don't think so.  Al was just abusing him the other night, I would assume LBJ would do the same.
And you don't think Al and Lebron would abuse Marcus as well.  Marcus is a better man to man defender than Ersan, but this seems like a silly way to prove that point.