Author Topic: Windhorst: Smart could struggle to field offers above MLE  (Read 3340 times)

Re: Windhorst: Smart could struggle to field offers above MLE
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I see the name "Windhorst" and my first thought is always:

How does the viewpoint articulated in this article benefit LeBron?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 01:02:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Josh Richardson's contract (4 yrs - 42M) could set the precedent. He signed his contract at 23 (Smart will be 24 this summer) and coming off a season where he averaged 10.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, and 2.6 apg on shooting splits of 39/78/33, in 30.5 mpg. For comparison, Smart is averaging 10.1 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.7 apg on shooting splits of 36/73/30 in 30.3 mpg.

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Windhorst could struggle to find his fly.

lol
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Good article showing the realities of the market.  Man, it's crazy how those contracts from a couple years ago look now.  Nurkic backup will make more than him.

Given how he didn't really make a jump on offense thus far and his hand issue (which IMO has looked worse when he came out and spoke on it and didn't show much of any acknowledgement about self harm behavior) I don't think he will get more than 10 mill a year in an offer, given the market.

Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing, so obvious he was lying, albeit for a good reason (getting paid).

I'd be curious if it actually had something to do with his agent calling him and telling him that he is being floated in trade talks. Or maybe his agent was starting to prepare him for not fielding any big offers in summer, and he realized that he is about 5 ppg, and around 30 more made threes away from getting money up in the teens, and he just snapped. I would if I was Smart...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 01:44:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Josh Richardson's contract (4 yrs - 42M) could set the precedent. He signed his contract at 23 (Smart will be 24 this summer) and coming off a season where he averaged 10.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, and 2.6 apg on shooting splits of 39/78/33, in 30.5 mpg. For comparison, Smart is averaging 10.1 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 4.7 apg on shooting splits of 36/73/30 in 30.3 mpg.

It could, although remember Richardson’s qualifying offer would be around $1.7 million in 2018, whereas Smart would be $6 million, so Smart has less downside for holding out a season.  Furthermore, that 4 years, $42 million was the most the Heat could offer through CBA rules, and he’d been paid the minimum so far in his career.  So Richardson was choosing between taking the most he could get now or holding out for a little bit more with more downside if he couldn’t get it and less of a financial safety net should he reach that downside.

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I wouldn't trade Smart just yet...maybe in the offseason. We would need Smart for the Warrriors.

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/2/5/16972634/trouble-nba-max-contracts

Reading this, it's just another reminder how good the Celtics' front office is. They didn't waste any big money on mid-tier players those couple of boom summers. They spent big money on Horford and Hayward who are all stars and otherwise bought low on role players like Gerald Green, Tyler Zeller, Daniel Theis, and Shane Larkin.

Just about perfect.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
I think with the emergence of Rozier Smart will be expendable.  You need guys that can score.  Marcus, no matter how much work he puts in, just can't shoot.  I love his energy and defense but he is such a liability on offense he hurts the team.  If he signs for 5-7 a year then the C's will resign him.  If he gets an offer of 9-11 a year he's gone.
Smart is a better offensive player than Rozier.

Why do some people act like shooting is the be-all-end-all to offense?

Rozier is unquestionably a better shooter than Smart, but Smart is a better passer and playmaker, not to mention that he makes better decisions than Rozier.

Plus, just look at the numbers: the offense functions much better with Smart than Rozier. Going into the game yesterday, Smart had a minus-0.9 offensive net rating. That difference is negligible, meaning our offense is virtually just as effective with or without Smart. Rozier, on the other hand, had a minus-6.8 offensive net rating.

Again, Rozier can shoot the ball better than Smart, but it's not exactly like he's Stephen Curry out there. He's not very efficient, and he's not good enough of a shooter where you can just gloss over the other aspects where Smart is superior.

I LOVE Rozier, but Smart is the better player on both ends of the floor. If we can somehow keep Smart for MLE type money (and I highly doubt that will be the case), we would be out of our [dang] minds not to retain him.
Sorry, not looking forward to getting Smart back to stifle offensive momentum. Maybe in some alternate reality Smart is the better player, but putting Rozier in his spot has largely been a wash in terms of results for his team, so I'd rather that I don't have to yell at my TV when Smart unapologetically chucks threes with 20 seconds left on the clock.

I wasn't sure before the last 3 games but there is little question in my mind now that Rozier advances and moves the ball better, the offense is faster with better player movement and better ball movement with Rozier as the playmaker.  As kozlodoev says Smart stifles the offense.  Marcus makes poor decisions too often, forces passes in search of the home run pass and he can't create his own shot, leading to frequent bad shot selection.  Rozier in this role was an unknown but he has been good for the most part running the offense.  Terry has proven for 3 games he can be a successful point guard.  Marcus has proven he can guard bigger guys, take bad shots, make an occasional great play and that he cannot create his own shot.  He has also shown offensively he is slow to learn and  he continues to make bonehead plays on and off the court.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:08:29 PM by feckless »
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 02:02:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

The article diminishes Smart's trade value, which may be his motivation, no?

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 02:21:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The article diminishes Smart's trade value, which may be his motivation, no?
Does it actually diminish his trade value?  Wouldn't it make him more valuable if the acquiring team knew it wouldn't cost as much to keep him long term?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
The Nuggets exploring a deal for Smart.

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 02:41:02 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Mudiay for Smart?

Um, no, no, no

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 02:47:24 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The Nuggets exploring a deal for Smart.

Link? And if it's Mudiay, no thanks.

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 02:53:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's hard to figure out a way that a trade with Denver makes sense unless they're sending us Will Barton.

I'm assuming they're not interested in trading Barton for Smart.

Mudiay is zero percent interesting.  Would rather play Larkin.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I think with the emergence of Rozier Smart will be expendable.  You need guys that can score.  Marcus, no matter how much work he puts in, just can't shoot.  I love his energy and defense but he is such a liability on offense he hurts the team.  If he signs for 5-7 a year then the C's will resign him.  If he gets an offer of 9-11 a year he's gone.
Smart is a better offensive player than Rozier.

Why do some people act like shooting is the be-all-end-all to offense?

Rozier is unquestionably a better shooter than Smart, but Smart is a better passer and playmaker, not to mention that he makes better decisions than Rozier.

Plus, just look at the numbers: the offense functions much better with Smart than Rozier. Going into the game yesterday, Smart had a minus-0.9 offensive net rating. That difference is negligible, meaning our offense is virtually just as effective with or without Smart. Rozier, on the other hand, had a minus-6.8 offensive net rating.

Again, Rozier can shoot the ball better than Smart, but it's not exactly like he's Stephen Curry out there. He's not very efficient, and he's not good enough of a shooter where you can just gloss over the other aspects where Smart is superior.

I LOVE Rozier, but Smart is the better player on both ends of the floor. If we can somehow keep Smart for MLE type money (and I highly doubt that will be the case), we would be out of our [dang] minds not to retain him.
Sorry, not looking forward to getting Smart back to stifle offensive momentum. Maybe in some alternate reality Smart is the better player, but putting Rozier in his spot has largely been a wash in terms of results for his team, so I'd rather that I don't have to yell at my TV when Smart unapologetically chucks threes with 20 seconds left on the clock.

I wasn't sure before the last 3 games but there is little question in my mind now that Rozier advances and moves the ball better, the offense is faster with better player movement and better ball movement with Rozier as the playmaker.  As kozlodoev says Smart stifles the offense.  Marcus makes poor decisions too often, forces passes in search of the home run pass and he can't create his own shot, leading to frequent bad shot selection.  Rozier in this role was an unknown but he has been good for the most part running the offense.  Terry has proven for 3 games he can be a successful point guard.  Marcus has proven he can guard bigger guys, take bad shots, make an occasional great play and that he cannot create his own shot.  He has also shown offensively he is slow to learn and  he continues to make bonehead plays on and off the court.

Smart makes 5.5 assists per 36 minutes vs Rozier's 3.5
Smart makes 2.9 turnovers per 36 minutes vs Rozier's 0.8
Smart's sssist/turnover ratio per 36 minutes is 1.9 vs Rozier's 2.9

Smart has issues as a playmaker and the idea that he's better on the offensive side of the ball is a big reach.