Author Topic: Rumor:Cs want first AND rotation player for Smart: Excellent Celticwire article  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
From the article:

Sources say the Celtics approached Smart’s contract extension negotiations in October with Oklahoma City Thunder defensive stalwart Andre Roberson’s three-year, $30 million as the benchmark for his market, while Smart’s camp used Denver Nuggets guard Gary Harris’ 4-year, $84 million deal as their benchmark. Both sides were able to narrow the gap relatively quickly because Roberson does not provide the playmaking Smart does, while Smart does not shoot or finish at the rim as well as Harris.

The two sides were about $10 million apart on the total deal when negotiations broke off according to sources. One of the big questions now is where Smart’s value will land when he hits free agency this summer. Feedback on Smart’s value around the league has seen it drop from the mid-teens to around $10 million, which would work in Boston’s favor and lessen the need to move preemptively.

This is part of this larger problem of agents looking at what happened in 2016 and telling their clients "We're going to get you that." It's not happening. I really hope the C's can bring Smart back for something like $40-48 mil over 4 years. Hopefully Smart and his people realize that that's his market value right now.

If they don’t realize that (and it’s true), he might come back for the qualifying offer, which could keep the team below the tax next year.

If that were to happen, Smart would then become unrestricted in 2019, right? The Celtics would be able to offer him any deal, they just wouldn't be able to match other deals?

Although, if Smart were to just take the qualifying offer that would make it pretty unlikely that he ever resigns with the Celtics, wouldn't it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
A first AND a rotation player? Cool. I'll watch the game while sitting on my new pony.

Mike

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I read the article and the previous posts - I just wonder if this "rumor" has something to do with recent contract negotiations.....hmmmm....

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
League-wide interest in trading for Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart has increased ahead of the NBA trade deadline, league sources tell Celtics Wire. The price has been a first-round pick and a rotation player according to sources.

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/marcus-smart-nba-trade-deadline-source-boston-celtics/

Long but in-depth informative article on the Cs and their strategies, especially regarding the finance and cap aspects.

EDIT: If CS think they can get both rotation player AND a first, they must be thinking low first, which makes sense as it would probably come from a contender who can use Smart right away.

great read

With this in mind how about this trade

To Suns, Smart and the Clippers 2019 pick

To Celtics, Troy Daniels and Miami 2018 1st
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'd like to obtain a girlfriend and a rotational piece of arse for my wife but that ain't happening either. 

I like what Marcus brings to the table on defense but his offense is a huge liability.  Especially when he takes crunch time shots and misses them like in the Lakers Game.  Marcus should shoot no more then 4-5 shots a game and they should all be at the rim.  He should be embarrassed to shoot a 3pt shot. 

Also, I love my wife and that was a joke just to be clear.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

So many players have developed plus shooting after several years of being average. Murphy's Law says Marcus locks in as soon as he leaves...

I really am still a believer in his offensive improvement continuing.  I think he will work too hard.  He is a very intelligent player as far as knowing the game as well.  Although he hasn't made a jump on offense I still do see bits continuing to improve and putting him on the brink (for example, his pick and roll passing as gotten even better this year and he has showed some knack for paint scoring sometimes, in a way that could work for him as a big physical guy).

We all know about his shooting but it has picked up over time after a terrible start early.

I have been bothered by the hand incident though and personally even more so by his talking about it due to the lack of acknowledgement that it was a self destructive and entirely self caused incident.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

So many players have developed plus shooting after several years of being average. Murphy's Law says Marcus locks in as soon as he leaves...

I really am still a believer in his offensive improvement continuing.  I think he will work too hard.  He is a very intelligent player as far as knowing the game as well.  Although he hasn't made a jump on offense I still do see bits continuing to improve and putting him on the brink (for example, his pick and roll passing as gotten even better this year and he has showed some knack for paint scoring sometimes, in a way that could work for him as a big physical guy).

We all know about his shooting but it has picked up over time after a terrible start early.

I have been bothered by the hand incident though and personally even more so by his talking about it due to the lack of acknowledgement that it was a self destructive and entirely self caused incident.

Let's hope some other team with a first-rounder and a rotation player to spare think the same thing.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Let's hope some other team with a first-rounder and a rotation player to spare think the same thing.

It's not happening for a player going into free agency who isn't a no brainer star type.  There was never any logic to that thinking.

Well there was, it was to get clicks from fans who get caught up in the rumor mill.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It's not happening for a player going into free agency who isn't a no brainer star type.  There was never any logic to that thinking.

Well there was, it was to get clicks from fans who get caught up in the rumor mill.
Why not? You're essentially trading the ability to match his contract. This may be valuable to a team with no cap that wants him.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Why not? You're essentially trading the ability to match his contract. This may be valuable to a team with no cap that wants him.

What team do you suggest is doing this?  The value isn't good to begin with for what people are suggesting (first round picks are high value this year) and there are are no suitors that make any sense that I can see around the league that also have things to give up.  He's not a no question starter and the PG spot is stacked around the league.

It would be an uncommon trade to begin with but there are no logical partners either.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Marcus Banks got the full MLE. So will Smart.

He won't get more than that this year; not enough teams have space. So he well might take the QO and try again in 2019 if nothing over MLE comes in.

The wildcard is the Philly/Reddick style offer, but I doubt it.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Marc Stein says:

"Denver is among the teams that has explored Marcus Smart trade scenarios with Boston, according to league sources. Emmanuel Mudiay has been made available, sources say, but the Celts covet a first-round pick for Smart"

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/960573081948323840

I uh, don't think we're super-interested in Mudiay for Smart.

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Marc Stein says:

"Denver is among the teams that has explored Marcus Smart trade scenarios with Boston, according to league sources. Emmanuel Mudiay has been made available, sources say, but the Celts covet a first-round pick for Smart"

No thanks.

If DEN threw in a future first rounder, then maybe, but they won't.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Marc Stein says:

The issue with Denver giving up their 1st this year is that it's a stacked draft and they are on the verge of being a late lottery team.  Marcus would be a good fit in Denver.  The only players that fit salary wise are Mudiay, Juan Hernangomez. Gary Harris or Will Barton but IMO that's a lot to give up for Smart.  If it was Mudiay he would replace Larkin for next year and is not a RFA until 2019-2020 I believe.  Mudiay does not make the team better and this would be about adding assets for the long term future of the team and could replace the C's pick if they move it for Tyreke or Lou Williams.  Not sure how Marcus is viewed in the locker room and if this would affect chemistry.

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I do not think Smart is long for the Celtics. I think they are actively trying to move him because of his actions. They are playing better with out him and can live with moving him.