Author Topic: Rumor:Cs want first AND rotation player for Smart: Excellent Celticwire article  (Read 5671 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
League-wide interest in trading for Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart has increased ahead of the NBA trade deadline, league sources tell Celtics Wire. The price has been a first-round pick and a rotation player according to sources.

http://celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/marcus-smart-nba-trade-deadline-source-boston-celtics/

Long but in-depth informative article on the Cs and their strategies, especially regarding the finance and cap aspects.

EDIT: If CS think they can get both rotation player AND a first, they must be thinking low first, which makes sense as it would probably come from a contender who can use Smart right away.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
A couple things of note

The article that's that an "unprotected first outside the end of the round" is the price for a legitimate starter, but is Smart really a legitimate starter? I view him more as a borderline starter or a good sixth man.

So the working assumption was that the negotiations for an extension were between 10 mill and 21 milion a year? Man if we had given him a 15 dollar a year contract that would have been a disaster. He wasnt worth that last summer, he isnt worth that now. I go 8-10 now.

This sounds like a situation where the Cletics will trade him, but only if they get the offer the want.

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

This sounds like a situation where the Cletics will trade him, but only if they get the offer the want.

This is what I've thought all along.  They aren't shopping him, just listening.  The original Woj reporting said as much.  It was essentially "if they have to or will look to make a big move, this is the guy in their young core they will look to move".  They just frame it as more with the headline and all because that sells ads and clicks.

Given his contract that makes sense.  I think Ainge is still very high on him, and should be.  Again, I don't know what will happen with his contract but I don't see much incentive to trade him unless there is some great deal to be had he could be a part of.

As far as the talk of where he fits as a rotation guy, the bottom line for me is he is one of the best defenders in the league so he impacts a game that much when he plays.  When you're that good on defense there's always a good reason to try to develop a guy on offense more who has those abilities.

There's no question that money is about to get tight and even as a Smart fan it's tough to deal with that.  Bringing in young players with picks will become essential in my opinion, to keep the team talented deep through the roster.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
mods...

maybe merge this thread with this thread?:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=95291.msg2456022#new
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
nothing wrong with asking

but Imd be surprized if GMs pony up that much

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas

This is what I've thought all along.  They aren't shopping him, just listening.  The original Woj reporting said as much.  It was essentially "if they have to or will look to make a big move, this is the guy in their young core they will look to move".  They just frame it as more with the headline and all because that sells ads and clicks.

Given his contract that makes sense.  I think Ainge is still very high on him, and should be.  Again, I don't know what will happen with his contract but I don't see much incentive to trade him unless there is some great deal to be had he could be a part of.

As far as the talk of where he fits as a rotation guy, the bottom line for me is he is one of the best defenders in the league so he impacts a game that much when he plays.  When you're that good on defense there's always a good reason to try to develop a guy on offense more who has those abilities.

There's no question that money is about to get tight and even as a Smart fan it's tough to deal with that.  Bringing in young players with picks will become essential in my opinion, to keep the team talented deep through the roster.

TP to both you guys, I agree.

And the long-term $$$ thing as it plays into trading strategy was explained real well in the article.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This is textbook Danny Ainge.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
So basically he's not available.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Without examining rosters for precise fit, I can't imagine Marcus wouldn't bring something of great value down the stretch/playoffs for SA, OKC, Houston, Minny, Toronto, Cleveland, Washington...

I think playing against Marcus must give players/teams a good taste of his value.   I'd hate playing against him in a tight playoff series.

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

So many players have developed plus shooting after several years of being average. Murphy's Law says Marcus locks in as soon as he leaves...

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
Without examining rosters for precise fit, I can't imagine Marcus wouldn't bring something of great value down the stretch/playoffs for SA, OKC, Houston, Minny, Toronto, Cleveland, Washington...

I think playing against Marcus must give players/teams a good taste of his value.   I'd hate playing against him in a tight playoff series.

I agree.

Given all that, that eliminates Tor, Wash, Cle, and especially CLE.

I would NOT like to see that team with a reuniting of IT/Smart/Rozier.....that troika had a lot of chemistry last year and wouldn't want Bron Bron to benefit from that.

Unless they gave us the BK pick back, and that's not going to happen.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
From the article:

Sources say the Celtics approached Smart’s contract extension negotiations in October with Oklahoma City Thunder defensive stalwart Andre Roberson’s three-year, $30 million as the benchmark for his market, while Smart’s camp used Denver Nuggets guard Gary Harris’ 4-year, $84 million deal as their benchmark. Both sides were able to narrow the gap relatively quickly because Roberson does not provide the playmaking Smart does, while Smart does not shoot or finish at the rim as well as Harris.

The two sides were about $10 million apart on the total deal when negotiations broke off according to sources. One of the big questions now is where Smart’s value will land when he hits free agency this summer. Feedback on Smart’s value around the league has seen it drop from the mid-teens to around $10 million, which would work in Boston’s favor and lessen the need to move preemptively.

This is part of this larger problem of agents looking at what happened in 2016 and telling their clients "We're going to get you that." It's not happening. I really hope the C's can bring Smart back for something like $40-48 mil over 4 years. Hopefully Smart and his people realize that that's his market value right now.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
From the article:

Sources say the Celtics approached Smart’s contract extension negotiations in October with Oklahoma City Thunder defensive stalwart Andre Roberson’s three-year, $30 million as the benchmark for his market, while Smart’s camp used Denver Nuggets guard Gary Harris’ 4-year, $84 million deal as their benchmark. Both sides were able to narrow the gap relatively quickly because Roberson does not provide the playmaking Smart does, while Smart does not shoot or finish at the rim as well as Harris.

The two sides were about $10 million apart on the total deal when negotiations broke off according to sources. One of the big questions now is where Smart’s value will land when he hits free agency this summer. Feedback on Smart’s value around the league has seen it drop from the mid-teens to around $10 million, which would work in Boston’s favor and lessen the need to move preemptively.

This is part of this larger problem of agents looking at what happened in 2016 and telling their clients "We're going to get you that." It's not happening. I really hope the C's can bring Smart back for something like $40-48 mil over 4 years. Hopefully Smart and his people realize that that's his market value right now.

$10MM apart on the total deal means $2.5MM apart per year on a four year deal.

I bet Boston offered $12.5MM per year and Smart’s camp wanted $15MM. They probably think “we came down 5 and the Celtics only went up 2.5. Let’s wait until next year.”

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
From the article:

If they don’t realize that (and it’s true), he might come back for the qualifying offer, which could keep the team below the tax next year. 

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
From the article:

If they don’t realize that (and it’s true), he might come back for the qualifying offer, which could keep the team below the tax next year.

If that were the case, and we got that lucky, would that impact the amount we could offer Moose or 'Reke if we got him?

Hey, Maybe Monroe will be an influence on Smart to bet on himself and take the QO like Monroe had the stones to do in Detroit. Not many players do, and understandably so. Smart plays with reckless abandon and is more prone to injury. I think he takes 10-12/year for 3-4 .