Author Topic: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick  (Read 10646 times)

Re: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I love Smart's defense but he makes several really bad basketball plays a game that puts the Cs in a terrible spot. It is feast or famine with him. Really good or just really bad.

The off court issues also are worrisome.

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Which teams would be interested in Smart, and could offer up a pick the Celtics would actually accept?

I would assume it would be teams that are not contenders who would like to obtain Smart's bird rights and re-sign him in restricted free agency this summer. But I have no idea which teams that would be.

A really bad team wouldn't trade a lottery pick for a non-starter, soon-to-be RFA. Similarly, a contending team's pick (late 1st rounder) may not be enough. Who's left that makes sense?

Off the top of my head I’d say Phoenix.  They have Miami’s pick (top-6 protected), which would be 17 or 18 today, probably won’t be any worse than 24, and likely no better than 12.  They also can absorb Smart’s contract outright, so Evans could be acquired with a trade exception, and need a PG, especially one who can help cover for Booker defensively.  Celtics could then send their own pick to Memphis and keep the moderately better Heat pick.

(Mind you, I’m not in favor of trading Smart, but I don’t think it’s too difficult to thread the needle of finding a team that can pay the appropriate price.)

They're resigning him though?  That's the whole point.  You woudln't give up an asset for him unless you were and he's a RFA and, even as a big fan, not a no brainer.  I think that makes no sense at all for them.

I thought it was a good idea, actually.  Wouldn't he be a great fit next to Booker?

I'm also not really in favor of trading him.  It's somewhat surprising -- Brad seems to highly value him.  For all his warts, he's been a key component to some of our biggest wins.  But, the recent trades make me believe the rumors are true.  They also seem more substantiated today.  It's a little surreal though -- odd to think about the Celts without Smart. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:44:36 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Which teams would be interested in Smart, and could offer up a pick the Celtics would actually accept?

I would assume it would be teams that are not contenders who would like to obtain Smart's bird rights and re-sign him in restricted free agency this summer. But I have no idea which teams that would be.

A really bad team wouldn't trade a lottery pick for a non-starter, soon-to-be RFA. Similarly, a contending team's pick (late 1st rounder) may not be enough. Who's left that makes sense?

Off the top of my head I’d say Phoenix.  They have Miami’s pick (top-6 protected), which would be 17 or 18 today, probably won’t be any worse than 24, and likely no better than 12.  They also can absorb Smart’s contract outright, so Evans could be acquired with a trade exception, and need a PG, especially one who can help cover for Booker defensively.  Celtics could then send their own pick to Memphis and keep the moderately better Heat pick.

(Mind you, I’m not in favor of trading Smart, but I don’t think it’s too difficult to thread the needle of finding a team that can pay the appropriate price.)

They're resigning him though?  That's the whole point.  You woudln't give up an asset for him unless you were and he's a RFA and, even as a big fan, not a no brainer.  I think that makes no sense at all for them.

I thought it was a good idea, actually.  Wouldn't he be a great fit next to Booker?

As I wrote, I actually see some fit there if they want to bring him in as  FA.  And personally I still like Smart quite a bit and if he finally puts more together on offense in a season or two I am not going to be surprised.  However, trading a first for the right to possibly sign him as a RFA is a whole different story.  They aren't playing for anything the rest of this year.

To me, the only scenario that could make any sense is say if Cleveland wasn't a tranwreck this year, if they could trade for Smart as a back up who would help them a lot this year in that role and improve their defense and also could make sense as a guy to sign afterwards.  That type of situation I see logic in. 

There aren't teams like that out there though now that make sense and a team like Phoenix that is in rebuilding mode shouldn't trade anything for him now over just making a run at him later.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Phoenix? Absolutely resigning him.   They’re one of the teams most likely to sign him to an offer sheet this summer imo.

I've always thought Phoenix was the biggest threat to sign him. He makes a ton of sense next to Booker. But is it worth trading a 1st for him now if you could potentially just sign him to an offer sheet in the summer? It may be more prudent for them to wait it out.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Phoenix? Absolutely resigning him.   They’re one of the teams most likely to sign him to an offer sheet this summer imo.

1) With Knight on the books still for 3 years, Booker coming up to resign, bad contract they already have for Dudley, Warren just got a huge contract and a bad team with zero incentive to sign Smart to push them towards the mediocre middle when they desperately need every first round pick they can to try to hit on some players... I think there's no logic to that. 

2) So they are a team most likely to sign him.... so why trade a first again on a team that desperately needs every asset they have?   He's not signed on a contract he's going to be a RFA.  There is logic to thinking they would put up an offer for him but why would they trade a quality first they desperately need for that right for a guy who is not turning their team around?

This is also a man who just punched a wall and put himself out for 2 weeks.  It's not happening.

Yeah, I really think the Suns would resign him.  They look to have $10-14 million in cap space next year, which is enough to give Smart a QO but not necessarily enough to offer more than the Celtics will match.  Chandler and Dudley come off the books in 2019, and if they hold off on giving Booker his new deal until the summer of 2020, they’d still be able to give someone a max offer in 2019.  Having Smart should improve their record next year, and give them a chance to get one max player to pair with Booker, especially if they’re able to sell the ability to trade for a third star player using some combination of Jackson, Bender, Chriss, this year’s pick, and Knight’s finally expiring deal.

Smart provides them way more usefulness than a mid-1st this summer.

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2018, 01:52:57 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Smart provides them way more usefulness than a mid-1st this summer.

That's pretty crazy talk with how a guy you take in the mid range can turn out these days (and their pick can be ever higher come year end), and be better than Smart and cheaper for years to come.  You need to take those chances if you are Phoenix.  I bet they try to sign Smart this summer too but they aren't trading for him now.

He doesn't improve their record enough to draw some max FA.  He just makes them even more mediocre.

Trading a first for him now vs trying to sign him later, when you have a decent shot and you can bring him in alongside a possible lottery pick, really doesn't make any sense.  Donovan Mitchell was just the 13th pick, lets not act like mid picks are scraps.  They are valuable assets.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:58:30 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2018, 01:59:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
One thing that does seem clear, the Cs are not doing  themselves any favors if they are trying to prevent other teams from signing Smart to an offer sheet this off-season. Smart can't be feeling especially loved and other teams know the Cs likely won't match.

At this point, I don't see how he isn't moved - which is a bummer, since I love what he brings to the team. We haven't exactly had the best track record of re-signing our own 1st round picks as of late.

« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2018, 01:59:56 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Even if the deadline passes without a trade completed, I think Marcus is a goner. Just not enough money to go around with Kyrie's new max deal just around the corner to go with Gordon's max deal, the C's are going to be more prudent with role players. Marcus Smart does a lot of positive things, but nothing he brings to the table is irreplaceable.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
One thing that does seem clear, the Cs are not doing  themselves any favors if they are trying to prevent other teams from signing Smart to an offer sheet this off-season. Smart can't be feeling especially loved and other teams know the Cs likely won't match.

At this point, I don't see how he isn't moved - which is a bummer, since I love what he brings to the team. We haven't exactly had the best track record of re-signing our own 1st round picks as of late.

I think you are putting way too much stock into the NBA media rumor mill, which has basic and clear incentive to trump up stories for clicks and ad revenue.  If Ainge thought like this or players on the Celtics did, we wouldn't be resigning many players.  It's all noise.

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The more I look at what team's have to spend, who is available, and who would be in the market for a player like Smart, the more I think Smart might have to sign for the QO because he might not get more than a multi-year taxpayer MLE offer, which he most assuredly will not accept. I think there is zero chance, at this point that Smart is seeing anything more than $6-8 million a year. Its just a completely different market, even from just last year.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:37:17 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2018, 02:26:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think you are putting way too much stock into the NBA media rumor mill, which has basic and clear incentive to trump up stories for clicks and ad revenue.  If Ainge thought like this or players on the Celtics did, we wouldn't be resigning many players.  It's all noise.

Oh, I don't know - I totally believe that he is available for a 1st and a rotation player at the very least. I don't think the Cs are trying to 'dump' him, but I doubt he is untouchable.

I also tend to believe what Nick said above. It's entirely possible that depreciating his value will allow the Cs to keep Smart for cheaper.

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2018, 02:56:23 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Talk is heating up that the Nuggets want Smart.

They offered Mudiay, but I think we are more interested in getting a 1st round pick out of them.

Mudiay has gotten worse/less playing time each of his years in Denver.

Nuggets 1st round pick would probably be in the 15-20's this year so it's not that valuable.

Could we then flip the pick for Tyreke Evans?

Why not keep the Denver pick and offer our 2018 1st for Reke?

Dan Gilbert is to the point of probably taking Smart and First to get Bron off the team , so he can start over,,..LOL. or sale it ASAP

Give us the BKN 2018 pick, Dan Gilbert!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2018, 12:20:16 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://www.celticsblog.com/2018/2/6/16982448/report-boston-celtics-wont-deal-marcus-smart-if-it-hurts-their-playoff-chances-this-year

Bulpett comes along once again and puts water over any smoke. Sounds like this was more about gauging Smart’s value across the league for this summer rather than looking for an actual trade. Also said Smart wouldn’t be involved in any Evans or Williams trade unless it was part of a bigger package.

Nights like tonight show just why we need Smart’s perimeter D and leadership, though hopefully we still upgrade the bench scoring, too.

« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2018, 01:23:49 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Ainge is not going to resign Smart. He is trying to get a player under contract that may help the team for the next two years, instead of getting nothing. Smart move (no pun intended).

« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2018, 01:34:34 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Ainge is not going to resign Smart. He is trying to get a player under contract that may help the team for the next two years, instead of getting nothing. Smart move (no pun intended).
Trading an expiring deal for one that's not expiring would hurt the team this year.

Bulpett claims Ainge won't do that. Think Bulpett is full of it?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.