Author Topic: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick  (Read 10694 times)

Re: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2018, 10:09:42 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I have a really hard time believing we would move Smart in a minor move. This is Danny establishing value for summer negotiations. I bet he’s asking for the moon and knows he won’t get it. I see no reason to rush on Smarts deal. Play this thing out. We can have him for this year and playoffs, which is valuable. Then we see how RFA goes with minimal risk. He either signs the QO and we get another cheap year out of him, we sign him to a reasonable 3-4 year deal (with the depressed market forecasts I could see anywhere from 3/27 - 4/48), or another team steps up with a 14+ mil offer, and we roll with Rozier. Zero need to sell low now.

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 12:17:29 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The Celtics are chasing that extra first-round pick in Marcus Smart trade talks in hopes of flipping it in a deal for either Lou Williams or Tyreke Evans, league sources say

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/960920460966838273

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 12:34:53 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Which teams would be interested in Smart, and could offer up a pick the Celtics would actually accept?

I would assume it would be teams that are not contenders who would like to obtain Smart's bird rights and re-sign him in restricted free agency this summer. But I have no idea which teams that would be.

A really bad team wouldn't trade a lottery pick for a non-starter, soon-to-be RFA. Similarly, a contending team's pick (late 1st rounder) may not be enough. Who's left that makes sense?
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Which teams would be interested in Smart, and could offer up a pick the Celtics would actually accept?

Lots of talk from the media without any logic to this part.  They need the clicks though, it's that time of year without much else to talk about on the trade front.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
The Celtics are chasing that extra first-round pick in Marcus Smart trade talks in hopes of flipping it in a deal for either Lou Williams or Tyreke Evans, league sources say

In that case, why not just trade Smart + Nader/Yabu for Evans/LouWilliams?

(Not that I support this but...)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 12:45:06 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I think we should keep him.  I think that based on the market, we should be able to resign him for $10 million  per year.

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2018, 12:49:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I would assume it would be teams that are not contenders who would like to obtain Smart's bird rights and re-sign him in restricted free agency this summer. But I have no idea which teams that would be.

A really bad team wouldn't trade a lottery pick for a non-starter, soon-to-be RFA. Similarly, a contending team's pick (late 1st rounder) may not be enough. Who's left that makes sense?

Off the top of my head I’d say Phoenix.  They have Miami’s pick (top-6 protected), which would be 17 or 18 today, probably won’t be any worse than 24, and likely no better than 12.  They also can absorb Smart’s contract outright, so Evans could be acquired with a trade exception, and need a PG, especially one who can help cover for Booker defensively.  Celtics could then send their own pick to Memphis and keep the moderately better Heat pick.

(Mind you, I’m not in favor of trading Smart, but I don’t think it’s too difficult to thread the needle of finding a team that can pay the appropriate price.)

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 12:51:56 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Off the top of my head I’d say Phoenix.  They have Miami’s pick (top-6 protected), which would be 17 or 18 today, probably won’t be any worse than 24, and likely no better than 12.  They also can absorb Smart’s contract outright, so Evans could be acquired with a trade exception, and need a PG, especially one who can help cover for Booker defensively.  Celtics could then send their own pick to Memphis and keep the moderately better Heat pick.

(Mind you, I’m not in favor of trading Smart, but I don’t think it’s too difficult to thread the needle of finding a team that can pay the appropriate price.)

They're resigning him though?  That's the whole point.  You woudln't give up an asset for him unless you were and he's a RFA and, even as a big fan, not a no brainer.  I think that makes no sense at all for them.

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

In that case, why not just trade Smart + Nader/Yabu for Evans/LouWilliams?

(Not that I support this but...)

Huh?  Memphis wants a first, not Smart.

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Talk is heating up that the Nuggets want Smart.

They offered Mudiay, but I think we are more interested in getting a 1st round pick out of them.

Mudiay has gotten worse/less playing time each of his years in Denver.

Nuggets 1st round pick would probably be in the 15-20's this year so it's not that valuable.

Could we then flip the pick for Tyreke Evans?

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2018, 01:01:59 PM »

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

They offered Mudiay, but I think we are more interested in getting a 1st round pick out of them.

Nuggets 1st round pick would probably be in the 15-20's this year so it's not that valuable.

Why not keep the Denver pick and offer our 2018 1st for Reke?

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2018, 01:08:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

Why not keep the Denver pick and offer our 2018 1st for Reke?

Dan Gilbert is to the point of probably taking Smart and First to get Bron off the team , so he can start over,,..LOL. or sale it ASAP

« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2018, 01:16:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

They're resigning him though?  That's the whole point.  You woudln't give up an asset for him unless you were and he's a RFA and, even as a big fan, not a no brainer.  I think that makes no sense at all for them.

Phoenix? Absolutely resigning him.   They’re one of the teams most likely to sign him to an offer sheet this summer imo.

« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Phoenix? Absolutely resigning him.   They’re one of the teams most likely to sign him to an offer sheet this summer imo.

Devin Booker is going to be the only shooter on that team.  ;D

« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

1) With Knight on the books still for 3 years, Booker coming up to resign, bad contract they already have for Dudley, Warren just got a huge contract and a bad team with zero incentive to sign Smart to push them towards the mediocre middle when they desperately need every first round pick they can to try to hit on some players... I think there's no logic to that. 

2) So they are a team most likely to sign him.... so why trade a first again on a team that desperately needs every asset they have?   He's not signed on a contract he's going to be a RFA.  There is logic to thinking they would put up an offer for him but why would they trade a quality first they desperately need for that right for a guy who is not turning their team around?

This is also a man who just punched a wall and put himself out for 2 weeks.  It's not happening.