Author Topic: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick  (Read 10739 times)

Re: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2018, 09:38:15 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If we can get a first rounder 20th or better i do this. Otherwise ride it out the rest of the season and let him walk. Terry Rozier has demonstrated way more upside and when Hayward comes back he has no place. With the emergence if Tatum and Brown, we don't have any room for him. The train I don't want a pick higher than 20 is it's a guaranteed contract for a borderline player usually. I'd much prefer a couple of low second rounders.

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2018, 09:53:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Wont happen

But grizzlies my guess will be trade evans and a 2nd for him

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 10:01:17 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I really wish we don’t trade Smart.

First off, he’s not going to get paid big money this off season given his small improvement on offense and his most recent injury. Secondly, he’s a great defender and as much as people whine about offense but unless you’re talking about a superstar, you don’t get great defense with strong offense. Lastly, he makes people on the court better on both ends of the floor. He communicates, sets good off ball screens, can switch multiple positions, generates extra possessions, etc. Honestly, I feel like he’ll improve his shot selection too once guys like Monroe or a more assertive Rozier/Brown/Tatum share the floor with him.
- LilRip

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:21 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Believe too much is being made about Rozier being the new savior. Some feel he's the heir apparent for Marcus' job. This week he had two great games against weak teams. Let's see how he does over a longer period and against better talent before pondering that idea.

Personally, after Irving, I feel Marcus is the most entertaining player on the Celtics. Surely, his shooting causes frustration for many of us. But, he more than makes up for this weakness with his craftiness with the ball and his zealous tenacity on defense. He has that special "something" that can not be replicated. Trading him might make them better in one area, but likely weaker in another.

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2018, 12:52:08 AM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Well I'd say now we know Marcus Smart isn't coming back next year for anything more than around 8-10m. I suspect someone will throw him a bigger bone than that if anything in an attempt to mess up our cap sheet. Ainge is doing some asset management here and trying to get anything instead of nothing. I feel as though this could also be a posturing attempt on his behalf to drive up Marcus' value. So he can look to memphis and say his value is equivalent to a 1st rounder and perhaps throw in a 2nd for Tyreke Evans.

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2018, 01:23:07 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I really hope Marcus Smart isn't traded.

I always imagined him being a big part of why we win our next title. It would feel wrong not to have him.

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2018, 05:17:09 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Our defense is not going to maintain elite status if we keep trading away our top defenders.

Yes it will, because we have Rozier, Brown and Tatum, great defenders, but also players that can make shots. Smart on the other hand is unfortunately one-way-player so we better send him for something while we still can. My wish is still to send him and Yabu for Lou Williams, not the 1st pick.

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I don't believe Ainge will trade Smart. I think it's to light a fire under him and to send him a message to come back ready to play SMARTer.

I think Evans can be had but Lou may be too expensive.

Smart
Rozier
Evans
Morris
Monroe\Theis

This would be a formidable 2nd unit and send us to the Finals easily.

« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2018, 11:59:51 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
You sure we can't just keep BOTH Smart + Rozier going forward??

Their skills complement each other so well and we have their Bird Rights.

Plus I honestly don't think Smart is actually getting more than 14M/Year from another team in RFA, so...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
You sure we can't just keep BOTH Smart + Rozier going forward??

Their skills complement each other so well and we have their Bird Rights.

Plus I honestly don't think Smart is actually getting more than 14M/Year from another team in RFA, so...

If Smart is gonna get 14 million a year you should trade him right now because that is way too much.

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2018, 11:18:57 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
BTW you have to realize that if we lose Smart to an RFA offer that we don't match we get ZERO draft pick compensation.  This isn't like the NFL or MLB where you at least get comp picks for losing a good player. 

In the NHL RFA offer sheets are almost never made because of the huge compensation required, but in the NBA it's almost like a free try at talent as long as you are willing to overpay.

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2018, 11:34:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
BTW you have to realize that if we lose Smart to an RFA offer that we don't match we get ZERO draft pick compensation.  This isn't like the NFL or MLB where you at least get comp picks for losing a good player. 

In the NHL RFA offer sheets are almost never made because of the huge compensation required, but in the NBA it's almost like a free try at talent as long as you are willing to overpay.

Most NBA RFAs don’t get offer sheets from other teams unless they’re max deals.  For example, last year nine players were initially extended qualifying offers.  Two signed offer sheets, with one going to a new team and the other staying with his original team.  Teams tend not to play the RFA market, largely because it’s a problem of information.  If you’re the outside team making the offer, likely you are either going to offer too low, such that the original  team keeps the player, or offer too much, so that the team who’s had him for years says “no, not worth it”.  So must RFAs don’t get outside offers:

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Most NBA RFAs don’t get offer sheets from other teams unless they’re max deals.  For example, last year nine players were initially extended qualifying offers.  Two signed offer sheets, with one going to a new team and the other staying with his original team.  Teams tend not to play the RFA market, largely because it’s a problem of information.  If you’re the outside team making the offer, likely you are either going to offer too low, such that the original  team keeps the player, or offer too much, so that the team who’s had him for years says “no, not worth it”.  So must RFAs don’t get outside offers:

Adding to that, if a team really wants Smart and is willing to outbid the Celtics (let's say that means $14 mil a year for 4 years), then there needs to be a team that not only wants him enough to spend that much money but also has the cap space available and is willing to tie up that space for however long the C's have to match/decline the sheet in the middle of free agency without a guarantee they'll see anything for their money.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2018, 08:23:10 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Adding to that, if a team really wants Smart and is willing to outbid the Celtics (let's say that means $14 mil a year for 4 years), then there needs to be a team that not only wants him enough to spend that much money but also has the cap space available and is willing to tie up that space for however long the C's have to match/decline the sheet in the middle of free agency without a guarantee they'll see anything for their money.

It is a hard choice Ainge has but Marcus is a completely healthy 23-year old PG defensive menace who is a member of some of the best lineups this team puts on the court.  I really do think it is possible he will get $12M+.

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2018, 08:47:27 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
It sucks to see he's available. He's my favorite Celtic since Rondo. But maybe I should just start rooting for players who can shoot competently. I still feel like he is going to be a crucial 5th-6th man on a championship team, eventually. But for that to happen as a Celtic it seems like I've only got this season, that is if I'm lucky and he's not traded for a 1st this week.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.