Author Topic: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick  (Read 10740 times)

Re: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Our defense is not going to maintain elite status if we keep trading away our top defenders.
People need to figure out that a top defense is NOT about a bunch of top defenders.  Defense is a team more than individuals.  In our case, it’s being able to switch the way we do, taking away pick and roll options.  It’s anout being long and athletic, making guys shoot over the top of us.

And does that not describe what Smart brings to this team? He takes the dumbest shots, but if he just shot maybe 2-3 shots less, we would infinitely be a better team with him, than without him.

Not just about switching, but also being vocal on defense which Smart and Horford are very well known for.

Oh, make no mistake, Smart is an excellent defender, both individually and within the scheme the team runs.

But I think Horford is overall more important on that end, and between Brown and Rozier we can make up for what we would lose by letting Smart go.

Smart is a very good role player, but it sure seems like he's got a lot of baggage that is making it harder to justify keeping him.

Especially if DA gets Evans in return. Evans is a really good defender, but also can score and is  a good playmaker. I love what Smart can do on the Defensive end, but getting some one that can score consistently will be nice come playoffs.

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Our defense is not going to maintain elite status if we keep trading away our top defenders.
People need to figure out that a top defense is NOT about a bunch of top defenders.  Defense is a team more than individuals.  In our case, it’s being able to switch the way we do, taking away pick and roll options.  It’s anout being long and athletic, making guys shoot over the top of us.

And does that not describe what Smart brings to this team? He takes the dumbest shots, but if he just shot maybe 2-3 shots less, we would infinitely be a better team with him, than without him.

Not just about switching, but also being vocal on defense which Smart and Horford are very well known for.

Oh, make no mistake, Smart is an excellent defender, both individually and within the scheme the team runs.

But I think Horford is overall more important on that end, and between Brown and Rozier we can make up for what we would lose by letting Smart go.

Smart is a very good role player, but it sure seems like he's got a lot of baggage that is making it harder to justify keeping him.

I disagree about Rozier, and other than Brown, Smart is our 2nd best defender. And as for baggage, a lot of players that have come here have had far worse baggage. Punching himself out for 2 weeks might have literally destroyed any high volume offers from young teams with cap space. Plus, even if you take a gander at teams available next year with cap space, teams are very limited. I don't even see Mavs trying to throw money at him if they secure a top 3-5 pick, and draft Young or Doncic.

As for Horford being the best defender, I firmly and absolutely agree. Horford has been unbelievable this year, but I'm not 100% confident letting one of our best defenders would be a good idea. Smart isn't like Bradley... Bradley was replaceable, doubt you can conspire to assume Smart is the same.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 06:26:48 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Pop will love him... let him mature, tutor him a bit, and watch him grow up.

Marcus is the type of player that needs to realize sometimes clever is as good as hard-nosed.

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I mean you don't need everyr player to be a great defender to have a good defense. But you need a few. Look at out players, every one besides Irving is at least an average defender. Smart, Horford, Brown are all far better than that. The scheme helps, switching helps prevent guys from getting open on a pick and role but you still need guys with talent who can stay in from of their guys and contest. Being long and athletics helps, but you still need defensive talent. Swapping Smart for Williams hurts your defense.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 06:37:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
My point is that if Smart signs for Andre Roberson money, I'm completely okay with that.

If he wants any more than 10-12 million, I say good luck, but have a nice day.

Smart is one of my favorite players to watch in the league, but he has most likely shot himself out of a decent sized contract, and hasn't improved offensively enough to warrant a bump in whatever he was offered.

Sometimes, I wonder why players feel like they should be paid more than they are offered. I know it is in their best interest, along with the agent, but some players are afraid of being treated like Crowder or Bradley. (Getting paid under market value only to see the huge increases in contracts like Turner, Deng, etc.) Sometimes it doesn't work out like Noel or Parker, (who I believe isn't gonna get the max he's looking for.)

EDIT:

The issue with me concerning Smart's impending free agency is that he means too much to the Celtics. He makes boneheaded plays and sometimes redeems himself, but generally in the long run he does have that strong bond with most of our teammates, and he is also a defensive leader when he is barking out rotations or switches. I'm afraid of destroying that chemistry, because I see how much fun and joy players have with each other on this roster.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 07:11:10 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
I don’t see Ainge just dumping Smart for a pick. Unless he’s involved in a bigger trade he’ll be back. Rozier is the guy that selling high on makes more sense.

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 07:26:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
maybe thismismwhy he punched the picture .  He found out his demise

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I like Smart at the two.
I don't like him running the offense.

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like Smart at the two.
I don't like him running the offense.

So what you're saying is that you like a SG who can't shoot.

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
what are the antics everyone complains about???

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2018, 08:09:59 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Not sure if Smart will be here next year. Money looks like it might be too big.

I will, however, offer this.

I understand why some of you don't care for the player, he isn't a "starter" for a reason.

2018, Game six of the finals in the Garden....tied up with :58 on the clock fourth quarter...

Do not tell me, everyone is screaming at Brad Stevens telling him to put Rozier in the game. These two players are not interchangeable....it's a good thing.

Smart is in the game with Irving, Horford et al because he is what we call a "money" player and the other team knows it. It is a "team" not a group of assorted statistics. You go into battle for all of the money and you need this player on the floor with you, it makes you and your mates better. You play harder because you know he is playing for you and always has. This group dynamic is not present on mediocre teams. Motivations are complicated.

They were interviewing Ty Law before the Super Bowl against the Panthers. Law already had a championship ring...."I just want to win this one for Rodney..."

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 08:37:29 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598

Just an imaginary, overblown one.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 08:46:49 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I don't believe it. But maybe I'm naive.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Just an imaginary, overblown one.

Are you telling me Marcus Smart attacking a fan during a college game, punching a hole in a hotel room wall, and busting his hand punching a picture frame are all figments of my imagination?

Despite the fact there is incontrovertible evidence these things actually happened?

Because what I see is a developing pattern that shows a man who has issues controlling his temper.

These aren't the worst things in the world, but it shows he maybe can't be trusted or reliably depended on.  Especially considering he hasn't yet seemed to learn his lesson, and has now actually missed playing time because of it.

Add that to his on court baggage (offensive ineptitude), and it's going to be hard to justify giving him any significant long-term money.  Especially considering the Celtics are going to be pushing right up against the tax line next year, and in future years will most certainly be beyond it.

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 09:09:39 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Marcus Smart has had some moments where he wasn’t able to control his anger.  This is true.

With that being said, Marcus Smart has many weaknesses.  His character is not one.  He is a good guy and a good teammate.