Author Topic: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick  (Read 10647 times)

Re: Report: Marcus Smart available for a first round pick
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Going to leave a significant hole in the perimeter D against the top offensive guard options by moving him.

I understand if we’re not planning on signing him, but I don’t want to move him just to get a minimally valuable asset in return. He’d be very, very valuable in a deep playoff run.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 04:01:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
The actual quote from Woj:

“You talk about Marcus Smart, he’s a player that’s available for a first round pick. If a team was willing to give Boston a first, Boston would look at,”

So it doesn't sound like he's being shopped around or that Boston would definitely take any first rounder for him. It sounds more like he's saying this is the ballpark price if someone comes with an offer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 04:07:30 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The actual quote from Woj:

“You talk about Marcus Smart, he’s a player that’s available for a first round pick. If a team was willing to give Boston a first, Boston would look at,”

So it doesn't sound like he's being shopped around or that Boston would definitely take any first rounder for him. It sounds more like he's saying this is the ballpark price if someone comes with an offer.

The problem with making a statement like that is... It's very misleading... First round pick could literally mean anything, which is also another reason why I have started hating Woj over time...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Not getting a 1st for him.
Don't be so sure.  A team planning on making a run for him this summer would be well served to grab him now I would think.

Can't be sure given the ability of some teams to delude themselves and overpay, but first rounders are at a premium now for all but the very best teams and those teams won't want to pay for a one-trick pony. Sole exception might be the Cavs if Lebron wants him and would promise to stay (which he won't).

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
A three-way deal where we get Tyreke, another team gets Smart,  and MEM gets a 1st makes too much sense now.

Or maybe Ainge is trying to acquire a 1st in the 16-20 range so he feels more comfortable trading away our 28-29 pick 1st. Leave it to Ainge to maximize value.

Not sure how I feel about this. I like Smart a lot and think he does a lot of great things for the Cs. Maybe the team has a better feel for how much he will make this summer and knows they are not going to go that high.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
UGH. Not a fan of this.  :(

Unless Smart is asking for 4/70M+ in which case I guess Ainge is shopping him.

But I HIGHLY doubt any team gives him 4/70+ this July and both Smart and Ainge should know this too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
That sounds a lot more like Woj’s guess than a report.

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 05:21:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Here is the link: celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/03/report-marcus-smart-available-for-first-round-pick/

Woj mentioned that he has heard that Marcus Smart is available for a first round pick.

I don’t want to believe it.  Thoughts?

Where is the woj report though? Because I haven't heard that at all.

On a podcast he said Boston would listen to offers for Smart and wanted a 1st round pick.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 05:39:37 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Here is the link: celticswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/03/report-marcus-smart-available-for-first-round-pick/

Woj mentioned that he has heard that Marcus Smart is available for a first round pick.

On a podcast he said Boston would listen to offers for Smart and wanted a 1st round pick.

Smart (no pun intended) move by Danny.

1. He sends a message to Smart about not putting up with his crap anymore.

2. He gets to gauge Smart's value on the market to give him more info for now and for a S&T this summer.

3. He gauges Smart's value around the league so he can better assess what me might have to offer to keep him.

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 05:44:17 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I really wonder about the accuracy of woj's statement.  I doubt we would take low 1st round pick for Smart.  I doubt Smart has told our front office what he is willing to sign for on the next contract because even he and his agent don't really know exactly what the market will be.  With his injury to his hand, poor 3point shooting he value can't be going up right?

Would DA trade Smart straight up for the 10th-14th pick?  I dunno.  Maybe the Laker's potential pick (not conveying) has some play in all of this?  But if that was the case he would be less likely to deal Smart. 

Maybe things are getting serious with Tyreke Evans, and DA is looking for a way to shed some salary to be able to have Evans be here long term?

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Smart (no pun intended) move by Danny.

1. He sends a message to Smart about not putting up with his crap anymore.

2. He gets to gauge Smart's value on the market to give him more info for now and for a S&T this summer.

3. He gauges Smart's value around the league so he can better assess what me might have to offer to keep him.

Yeah, although I’d point out that “willing to listen to offers” is a really low bar when it comes to Ainge.  He’ll trade anyone, and everyone knows that.

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I only hope if he does get traded people on the blog show appreciation for hard this guy
has played every minute he's been a Celtic. 
Would make me a proud blogger.

(okay now back to getting your harsh on)...

Teams that could really use him listed in order (including any Western contender that thinks they have
a chance against Golden State)

1. Thunder
2. Rockets
3. Cavs
4. Spurs
5. Raptors
6. Pels before Boogie injury

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Our defense is not going to maintain elite status if we keep trading away our top defenders.
People need to figure out that a top defense is NOT about a bunch of top defenders.  Defense is a team more than individuals.  In our case, it’s being able to switch the way we do, taking away pick and roll options.  It’s anout being long and athletic, making guys shoot over the top of us.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 05:54:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Our defense is not going to maintain elite status if we keep trading away our top defenders.
People need to figure out that a top defense is NOT about a bunch of top defenders.  Defense is a team more than individuals.  In our case, it’s being able to switch the way we do, taking away pick and roll options.  It’s anout being long and athletic, making guys shoot over the top of us.

And does that not describe what Smart brings to this team? He takes the dumbest shots, but if he just shot maybe 2-3 shots less, we would infinitely be a better team with him, than without him.

Not just about switching, but also being vocal on defense which Smart and Horford are very well known for.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

And does that not describe what Smart brings to this team? He takes the dumbest shots, but if he just shot maybe 2-3 shots less, we would infinitely be a better team with him, than without him.

Not just about switching, but also being vocal on defense which Smart and Horford are very well known for.

Oh, make no mistake, Smart is an excellent defender, both individually and within the scheme the team runs.

But I think Horford is overall more important on that end, and between Brown and Rozier we can make up for what we would lose by letting Smart go.

Smart is a very good role player, but it sure seems like he's got a lot of baggage that is making it harder to justify keeping him.