Author Topic: Bulpett: C's not done  (Read 9342 times)

Re: Bulpett: C's not done
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 11:10:33 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Baynes works straight up for Lou.  Does getting Monroe make Baynes expendable?  Other than against Philly.  I don't think Baynes would play that much.  Yab and Rozier also work but would Ainge trade Rozier?

Naah Monroe doesn't make Baynes expendable.  Monroe is a strict downgrade on defense compared to Baynes.  We got Monroe to add scoring to the 2nd unit.

Tyreke Evans is probably our best bet.  He can give us more scoring punch on the bench and can also handle the ball so that if Kyrie needs a rest, our offense doesn't go entirely in the crapper.

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2018, 01:26:52 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Baynes works straight up for Lou.  Does getting Monroe make Baynes expendable?  Other than against Philly.  I don't think Baynes would play that much.  Yab and Rozier also work but would Ainge trade Rozier?

Naah Monroe doesn't make Baynes expendable.  Monroe is a strict downgrade on defense compared to Baynes.  We got Monroe to add scoring to the 2nd unit.

Tyreke Evans is probably our best bet.  He can give us more scoring punch on the bench and can also handle the ball so that if Kyrie needs a rest, our offense doesn't go entirely in the crapper.

Not sure what a "strict downgrade" is, sounds kinky. But there are numerous people on here who have referred to multiple metrics which suggest Monroe is actually a better defender than Baynes.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 01:52:22 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Problem with Lou Williams is simply the $7M salary. Hard to match.

And no, trading Morris or Smart in a deal for Lou Williams won't be as big of an upgrade as people believe, especially with Lou Williams likely to have limited minutes if he came here.

My heart wants Lou Williams, but my realistic mind wants Tyreke, though I like Tyreke a lot as well (not saying that to bash him or anything).

Lou makes a little too much to work.  Baynes can bring back a shade under $6.6 million.  Lou makes $7 million.  Rozier and Yabu also doesn’t work.  (If you’re trying it in trade machine, it says it works because we haven’t technically used our DPE on Monroe as of this hour, so trade machine still has it in there and that’s what allows the deal to work.)

Looks like the delay in signing Moose could be for this very reason. Lou Williams would be simply epic.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 01:52:33 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Not sure what a "strict downgrade" is, sounds kinky. But there are numerous people on here who have referred to multiple metrics which suggest Monroe is actually a better defender than Baynes.
If a metric says Monroe is a better defender than Baynes, thats more an indictment on that metric than anything else.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 07:15:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
But there are numerous people on here who have referred to multiple metrics which suggest Monroe is actually a better defender than Baynes.

Numerous people are often wrong, too.   

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 07:33:34 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

And no, trading Morris or Smart in a deal for Lou Williams won't be as big of an upgrade as people believe, especially with Lou Williams likely to have limited minutes if he came here.

My heart wants Lou Williams, but my realistic mind wants Tyreke, though I like Tyreke a lot as well (not saying that to bash him or anything).

Lou makes a little too much to work.  Baynes can bring back a shade under $6.6 million.  Lou makes $7 million.  Rozier and Yabu also doesn’t work.  (If you’re trying it in trade machine, it says it works because we haven’t technically used our DPE on Monroe as of this hour, so trade machine still has it in there and that’s what allows the deal to work.)

Looks like the delay in signing Moose could be for this very reason. Lou Williams would be simply epic.

That doesn't really make sense, though.   If we're delaying signing Monroe, so that we can use the DPE to trade for Williams, than how would we sign Monroe with the DPE no longer at our disposal?

You can't turn to him now and ask him to take less money than you already agreed to, and we would have no other way to give him the $5 mil we already agreed to.

Monroe probably hasn't been officially signed, or announced as signed, because of paperwork delays.

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 07:52:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Signing Monroe has no impact on this, unless we are no longer to sign him for $5 million.  We agreed to less than the $8.4 million in part to keep room to take on additional salaries in trades, but the delay appears more procedural than anything else — he didn’t clear waivers until yesterday and needs a physical still.

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 09:26:18 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If you see Danny Ainge walking around town in one of those popular “NOT DONE” shirts, it may have more meaning than just the Patriots’ postseason slogan.

Even with the planned signing of Greg Monroe today, the Celtics are still in business until next Thursday’s NBA trade deadline and beyond.

According to two Western Conference sources, the Celts are still in pursuit of Lou Williams and Tyreke Evans. They have had discussions regarding others, but those two appear to be the main targets as the C’s look to add scoring off the bench.

The key in each of these cases is how much will be required to make a deal. The Celts are said to be willing to part with assets, but Ainge seems to be again holding the line on what he believes is proper value. The strategy has frustrated other clubs and a percentage of the fan base, but it doesn’t appear to be changing.

Memphis has been asking for a first-round pick for Evans, but the Celts haven’t yet been willing to go there. Denver has reportedly offered Emmanuel Mudiay and a second-round pick, and while the C’s could propose something similar, the second -round pick (or picks) they could send would not be very high.

Also, sources say the Celts are being careful with their pursuit of wings. As much as they might be able to gain some level of help at the position, they have told people they do not want to do something that would too greatly impede the progress of Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum, who, they believe, will be even better by the postseason because of the minutes they have been getting all year.

But the Celts are still said to be very active in talks. There is a reason behind the fact the Celts will be giving Monroe $5 million instead of the full $8.4 million disabled player exception.

They cannot use the remaining money to sign another player, but by keeping Monroe at $5 million, the C’s have maintained a measure of flexibility as they look at trades in the next five days. As it stands, with tax and cap considerations taken into account, they will be able to take back some $4 million more than they send out in a move.

From the time the Celtics got the DPE approved for the loss of Gordon Hayward, it was thought it would be best used on a bought-out player rather than one who was still on the free agent market early in the season. That proved to be the case with Monroe, but it’s important to note that this signing does not take the Celts out of the buyout game.

They could still sign such a player to a veteran minimum contract, and though they may have lost the more-money-to-offer edge, most players who sign after reaching a deal to leave their team do wind up getting the minimum. That was the case when Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut joined the Cavaliers last season. And if you want to go back a few years, that’s how the Celts solidified their 2008 title run by adding P.J. Brown and Sam Cassell.

The important factor then, as was the case with Monroe, is that the C’s were a team in contention. That group obviously had better title hopes than this one, but the path to the 2018 Finals from the Eastern Conference has to look good to potential signees.

It’s also important to add, as we did at the time the Celtics were granted the DPE, that there will be no penalty or other ramification for the club if Hayward is able to come back and play this season, other than the fact it would have to clear a roster spot.

It remains to be seen how Brad Stevens will fit Monroe into the Celtics rotation, but, even though he will be looking to test the unrestricted free agent market this summer after he turns 28 in June, he is not necessarily a short-timer here.

The Celts could offer him some $6 million without making a corollary move, and that would seem low for his worth. But it will be interesting to see how the market for big men is this year.

Then again, it’s also possible that one of the reasons the 6-foot-11 Monroe is choosing the C’s is because Stevens always seems to raise the value of the players he coaches.

But even if Monroe winds up staying, the Celtics will still have a number of important decisions to make in the offseason, just as they will this week.
TP for a great way to start a thread.  You did the research and provided plenty for us to chew on.

I don't like threads that start out with one sentence or one idea without any further thought or context.

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Classic Danny.  Always trying to squeeze more out of the tube.

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 06:39:26 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 06:44:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I never say DA is done with his job .  He is pondering moves 24/7

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2018, 06:50:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!

Rumor has it that even when Danny falls asleep, all he does in his dreams is explore trades using the NBA Trade Machine  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2018, 06:55:27 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/960652972224122880

In other words. We aren't giving up anything of value for a rental. Ainge isn't a top 5 GM for nothing.

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Rumor has it that even when Danny falls asleep, all he does in his dreams is explore trades using the NBA Trade Machine  :laugh:

I think Danny is hardwired into the trade machine.

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2018, 07:01:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I think we should offer 2019 Clippers 1st, Yabusele + Future 2nd Rounder for Tyreke Evans.

(Said 2nd rounder in 2020 or 2021)

Seems fair. I honestly doubt MEM caves on a few future second rounders if reports are true that other teams have offered a late 1st for him already.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller