Author Topic: Magic fielding offers for Aaron Gordon, should we hop on it?  (Read 5657 times)

Re: Magic fielding offers for Aaron Gordon, should we hop on it?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Your original post said you said they would LISTEN if we offered, and now you're changing your words to ask, so which one is it?  :laugh:
There isn't a material difference in how it's worded. They're gauging value. Some offers they'll listen to, some offers would be below what they'd ask/need in order to trade him. Is that better?

Anyone can clearly admit that Tatum is an overpay for Gordon, considering you have to max Gordon out, plus we offering a 1st too?
That's not particularly clear. I wouldn't trade Tatum because I like Tatum. In practice, however, he may never be better than what Gordon is right now. That's not really far-fetched.

I would be okay with giving up Brown, and a 1st, although I would rather hold out for other players. Just trying to gauge what people think here.
That's interesting, because it's far from a given that Brown will be the worse of the two Jays.

I was just busting your chops, because of that Brook Lopez offensive/defensive rebounding comment earlier today. (Note my smiling and laughing face emoji.)

But I only put Brown out there, because I feel like his perceived value is slightly lower than Tatum's. Although, I agree with your view point, I actually think Jaylen Brown has the chance to surpass Tatum if he can improve on some aspects.

Anyways, I just wanted to gauge and see what people thought his value might fetch.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 06:45:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What is happening in this thread? Why are the names Tatum and Brown even being mentioned in a possible deal for Gordon? He is going to be a RFA in a couple of months and will be paid a lot.

I was thinking more along the lines of Smart, Morris, and our 1st and even that sounds like too much now that I’ve typed it out. I live in Orlando, too, so I must really be missing the boat on what Gordon has to offer.  :o

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 06:49:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
What is happening in this thread? Why are the names Tatum and Brown even being mentioned in a possible deal for Gordon. He is going to be a RFA in a couple of months and will be paid a lot.

I was thinking more along the lines of Smart, Morris, and our 1st and even that sounds like too much now that I’ve typed it out. I live in Orlando, too, so I must really be missing the boat on what Gordon has to offer.  :o

I mean I don't even want to give up Brown or Tatum neither. To me, they are both untouchable unless we get a superstar back in return.

But I didn't understand kozlodoev's comments about Tatum not being better than Gordon, because even though Gordon is averaging 18/8, who's to say Tatum won't average something similar?

We also have Tatum on board for 3 more years, so.... It doesn't matter anyways. I like Gordon though, and I was very pleased to find he improved his shooting touch.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Gordon can become an RFA next year. Not in their wildest dreams do the Magic think they can get a top rookie with 2 or 3 more years left under contract.

The price might not be obscene; maybe a decent pick (Mem?) and a young player as filler. Or maybe if you send Marcus Morris (the salaries work) you send a much worse pick (Bos 18).

If we sent Morris, that might also help in finding minutes for Gordon. This year you might be able to close out with Horford, Gordon, Tatum, Brown, and Irving. (And, well, that sounds pretty interesting, right? Small-ball athleticism with great length and switchability, five shooters...).

Next year I'm not so sure, and that's where I wonder. I've got the finishing five for next year penciled in as Horford, Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Irving. I don't see Gordon breaking in there. Will he want to come off the bench, and does that even make sense? Won't he get an offer above $7.2 (his option for next year) from somebody else if he tests the market - in which case I think he's gone and you gave up a year of Morris.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 06:56:13 PM by Sophomore »

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I was just busting your chops, because of that Brook Lopez offensive/defensive rebounding comment earlier today. (Note my smiling and laughing face emoji.)

But I only put Brown out there, because I feel like his perceived value is slightly lower than Tatum's. Although, I agree with your view point, I actually think Jaylen Brown has the chance to surpass Tatum if he can improve on some aspects.

Anyways, I just wanted to gauge and see what people thought his value might fetch.
Well, I'm mostly busting everyone's chops here, I guess. Ultimately, Gordon is not a player we need because we can't fit him on our roster or pay him. And he'll have a steep price in terms of picks/prospects, because he's finally coming into his own.

I don't think we have an asset not named Brown or Tatum that will be enough for Gordon.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
But I didn't understand kozlodoev's comments about Tatum not being better than Gordon, because even though Gordon is averaging 18/8, who's to say Tatum won't average something similar?
He's not as productive right now. Whatever the likelihood of him averaging something  similar (even if rather high), it's not a given.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 06:59:57 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
He's not as productive right now. Whatever the likelihood of him averaging something  similar (even if rather high), it's not a given.

Well.. I mean he is a rookie.. And Aaron Gordon didn't see that much time in his rookie year, because he couldn't shoot, nor defend, despite the roster being extremely depleted of talent. Also his past 3 years have been pretty meh...

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Well.. I mean he is a rookie.. And Aaron Gordon didn't see that much time in his rookie year, because he couldn't shoot, nor defend, despite the roster being extremely depleted of talent. Also his past 3 years have been pretty meh...
Marcus Smart has been in the league for almost 4 years now and is largely the same player. Development is something you hope for, but it's not a given.

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 07:06:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I wanted C's to deal for him this past off season. Too late to get him now.

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 07:11:15 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Besides Gordon's career 31%3PT shooting, he has 1/2 of a cheap rookie contract season left. Tatum has 3 1/2 cheap seasons left and Brown has 2 1/2 left. No. Never.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gordon is a horrible fit for this team personnel wise and his contract would be disastrous for thesalary balance this team needs over the coming years. We might not be able to afford Smart, nevermind Smart and Gordon.

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Wanted AG big time in the draft and think he woulda went had he fell to us.  He's a big risk fit wise but would be awesome building a young nucleus

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 09:00:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Marcus Smart has been in the league for almost 4 years now and is largely the same player. Development is something you hope for, but it's not a given.
Gordon got off to a hot start but he's regressing closer to his norm.  For the month of January, he's shooting 20% from three.  He's playing 5+ more minutes than last season and is on a really bad team so that helps bump up his numbers.  I wouldn't give up more than top 10 protected pick for him.  Orlando taking offers on him says a lot.

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 10:04:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He ll go to Heat or Lakers or Knicks in some sort of trade out.

Lakers fans would like him.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 10:54:42 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
It is kind of crazy they keep getting rid of their best players.