Author Topic: Monroe - 2019  (Read 5655 times)

Re: Monroe - 2019
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think people are grossly overestimating what Monroe will command in free agency.

It seems to me they are too. He was traded as salary filler and then dumped before the deadline because no team would give up assets for him.

I'd be very surprised if he even got the full non-taxpayer MLE next year, with the taxpayer MLE being closer to his actual value.

I was thinking this, too. Maybe the $5M number isn’t so random, after all. If all Monroe is able to command next year is the taxpayer MLE, then we can actually out of teams with a contract starting at  $6M. We would also still have our own MLE to use on another player.

If we are able to acquire Evans and he and Monroe are perfect fits, we may actually be able to keep both of them.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 06:57:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I will say KO does fit the modern NBA, while Monroe is slowly edging himself out of it. But Moose will certainly get some Boston love once he leads the Celtics in RPG.  :laugh: :angel:  :P ::)
Monroe is not some sort of a dinosaur who can just push people around and dunk. He's got a bit of a jump shot, a bit of a dribble-drive, and a whole lot of passing. He isn't a great defender, but our team has show they can work with that. I think he got a bit of a bad rap when they tried to turn him into a PF in Detroit, but I feel he can start and hold his own on this team.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 07:03:07 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I will say KO does fit the modern NBA, while Monroe is slowly edging himself out of it. But Moose will certainly get some Boston love once he leads the Celtics in RPG.  :laugh: :angel:  :P ::)
Monroe is not some sort of a dinosaur who can just push people around and dunk. He's got a bit of a jump shot, a bit of a dribble-drive, and a whole lot of passing. He isn't a great defender, but our team has show they can work with that. I think he got a bit of a bad rap when they tried to turn him into a PF in Detroit, but I feel he can start and hold his own on this team.

If you have seen my previous posts, you would've seen how many times I have brought up his passing. I think his passing is his most pivotal piece of his game, especially back then big men weren't known for passing at all. I do agree he has a decent mid range, and can dribble well enough, but spacing the floor is starting to become quintessential. Monroe may still have teams vying for his post moves, rebounding, and concise passing, but next year most teams are cap-strapped. I don't think Monroe is going to get the contract he's looking for.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think people are grossly overestimating what Monroe will command in free agency.

It seems to me they are too. He was traded as salary filler and then dumped before the deadline because no team would give up assets for him.

I'd be very surprised if he even got the full non-taxpayer MLE next year, with the taxpayer MLE being closer to his actual value.
That's because he was making $17,000,000(!) this season on the tail end of a rather generous contract. He certainly isn't worth that. But I fully expect him to make more than half of this next season. Certainly the taxpayer MLE as a minimum, probably a bit more.

The Celtics can offer him more than the taxpayer MLE with his non-Bird rights.

When you look at the cap space and tax situations of teams next year, Monroe absolutely seems like a player who could feel the squeeze.  A majority of teams project to either be in the tax or not have enough space to use the full non-taxpayer MLE before hitting the tax line.  I’m sure there will be a market for Monroe, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it were in the $5-6 million.  And depending how things shake out with Smart and the Lakers pick, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him return to Boston on a 1-2 year deal starting at $6 million next year.  I wouldn’t put the odds above 50%, but they’re not terribly small either.  I will be shocked if he gets more than the big MLE next year from any team, unless it’s a 1-year deal a la Redick and Amir.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
It's a luxury to have Gordon in for an extended tryout this year, especially given that Baynes is a free agent next year. See how each one works, figure out who's in your plans. If Monroe's market value is really under $10M/year, he and the Cs might actually want him to re-up. Let's see how his game looks in green.

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

If you have seen my previous posts, you would've seen how many times I have brought up his passing. I think his passing is his most pivotal piece of his game, especially back then big men weren't known for passing at all. I do agree he has a decent mid range, and can dribble well enough, but spacing the floor is starting to become quintessential. Monroe may still have teams vying for his post moves, rebounding, and concise passing, but next year most teams are cap-strapped. I don't think Monroe is going to get the contract he's looking for.
Maybe you're right. And if a team like Atlanta wants to come out and break the bank for a scoring big, there's little we can do.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 07:20:13 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Completely agree, koz, so TP, because it doesn't happen that often.

Also in Detroit, aside from him playing out of position, Van Gundy was trying to place also sorts of round pegs into square holes, and he screwed everyone up.  That Josh Smith/Monroe/Drummond troika set all their careers back a bit. Drummond is the only one who seems to have recovered from that.

In addition, Moose ends up playing for JKidd who also messed that team up, especially with that slow pace and then forcing Moose out of the paint and his element so Giannis could drive.

Then comes the mess that is the Suns.

Monroe will play like a man unchained.

FEAR the MOOSE

EDIT: His P&R game with Irving will be scary.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Completely agree, koz, so TP, because it doesn't happen that often.

Also in Detroit, aside from him playing out of position, Van Gundy was trying to place also sorts of round pegs into square holes, and he screwed everyone up.  That Josh Smith/Monroe/Drummond troika set all their careers back a bit. Drummond is the only one who seems to have recovered from that.

In addition, Moose ends up playing for JKidd who also messed that team up, especially with that slow pace and then forcing Moose out of the paint and his element so Giannis could drive.

Then comes the mess that is the Suns.

Monroe will play like a man unchained.

FEAR the MOOSE

EDIT: His P&R game with Irving will be scary.

The crazy thing is we got him for FREE!

I wanted to trade for him so badly, I remember how we used to say the Pistons should just trade J-Smoove or Moose due to spacing issues. (Man... It is crazy that J-Smoove still cannot land on an NBA roster.)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 08:07:51 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think I read somewhere awhile back that Danny was going to use the DPE on someone that he expected to have on the team NEXT YEAR, too.  Looks like that ain't happening.

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Will there be much of a market for him??

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 05:39:33 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I don't hate Monroe but I doubt he is a high priority for the fully fit Celtics next year. He can contribute in a number of ways but at the end of the day this team is based on defence.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2018, 07:04:58 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
It's a luxury to have Gordon in for an extended tryout this year, especially given that Baynes is a free agent next year. See how each one works, figure out who's in your plans. If Monroe's market value is really under $10M/year, he and the Cs might actually want him to re-up. Let's see how his game looks in green.
It is way below 10 milion.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2018, 07:21:44 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Seems like Monroe just doesn't fit in these Celtics. The only player on roster that is bad on defensive end.

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2018, 07:32:04 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Well he has looked good at times.  Very good rebounder, surprisingly good passer, good low post scorer.
Where does he fit next year?
Baynes
Horford
Theiss
Morris
On a depth chart for pf/c guys he would be last.  I was very impressed with Theiss and I actually think he would be very important to us in this playoff series.

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2018, 08:15:50 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The problem with Monroe is he's slow in an era of speed in the NBA. This makes him a situational player depending on match ups so $5-6 mill is probably his cap value.