Poll

Does Monroe become a starter this year?

No.
28 (45.9%)
Yes.
33 (54.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Does Monroe become a starter this year?  (Read 4191 times)

Re: Does Monroe become a starter this year?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 09:48:10 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
At some point he will start

When fully healthy I would like to see the Celtics use the following lineup against teams with traditional lineups (non small ball)

Start

Irving
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Baynes

first sub Smart in for Tatum

2nd unit

Rozier
Smart
Tatum
Morris
Monroe

Larkin is the 10th rotational player who is plugged in through out the game and gets the occasional DNP

When teams play small Baynes gets taken out of the rotation and Morris starts and Semi steps into 2nd unit.

Looking at these grouping its easy to see plugging in a min restricted Hayward or a vet shooting wing ( Joe Harris is an example) into the second unit
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Why not? Give him a shot and start him a few games. We're getting a lot of injuries anyway.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
As long as  he continues to stand around on defense and watch guys drive to the basket without even attempting to challenge them, like he's done during his career so far, there is no way CBS starts him....never mind him even getting a ton of playing time, until he shows effort on the defensive side.

When he played with a team that VALUED defense, the Pistons in 2013-2014, he ranked 14th out of 48 centers in defensive RPM, so he can be decent!!!

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/year/2015/sort/DRPM/position/9

Smitty77

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 10:01:05 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Starters
Horford
Tatum
Baynes
Irving
Brown

2nd unit
Theis (His minutes would be squeezed the most)
Morris
Monroe
Smart
Rozier

I think the plan is to have Monroe come off the bench and feature him vs second units. I do think it's not too effective, from a minutes perspective, to have him play with the starters where his usage rate would suffer. Instead let's keep those minutes optimal by having the better defensive player (Baynes) continue to start and do some of the dirty work (defense, screens, hard fouls, rebounding, etc.) the first unit needs.

It will be interesting to see how the rotation looks going forward with a possible Hayward return and/or a Tyreke trade. As for the latter, these are the schedule dates for when the post-season rounds are set to begin, with the days to that date from today. Obviously the days are crucial as it gives an idea of the time Hayward has to return.

1st round - April 14 (70 days away)

ECSF - April 30 (86 days away)

ECF - May 15 (101 days away)

NBA Finals - 31 (117 days away)

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »

Online hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
As long as  he continues to stand around on defense and watch guys drive to the basket without even attempting to challenge them, like he's done during his career so far, there is no way CBS starts him....never mind him even getting a ton of playing time, until he shows effort on the defensive side.

When he played with a team that VALUED defense, the Pistons in 2013-2014, he ranked 14th out of 48 centers in defensive RPM, so he can be decent!!!

Smitty77

Wow. Look at some of the centers he is above: Noah, Howard, Marc Gasol, Robin Lopez & Whiteside.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 10:16:21 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
We needed Bench help So I vote No he doesn't start.

Moving Baynes to the bench does not give us what we need.  We need some kind of offensive attack when KI goes to the bench... Rozier and Monroe Would be perfect. 

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 10:33:45 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think there should be a 3rd option:  Will start some games.

I think Brad will use him in a rotation of bigs with Morris, Baynes, Monroe.  There might be games when any one of those 3 gives us the best matchup.  In general I think he will be a bigger asset off the bench to help with bench scoring.  He will have a lot of mismatches off the bench.

I think people on the first page who said he will start some games due to injury (and probably answered ‘yes’)are misunderstanding the OP’s question. Anybody on any given night might start here or there, but I believe what wdleehi is asking is will Monroe officially take Baynes’ starting spot?

I think the answer to this is ‘no’, but he will get a good deal of playing time and should give Stevens more options moving forward. I am a little worried this will cut into Theis’ minutes who I think has been playing wonderfully as of late. I suppose a trade of Baynes could always occur, but there is no reason to search one out unless we are getting someone back even more useful.

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 11:01:48 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The signing of Monroe will spell relief for Horford more than anyone. He'll give Al the rest he requires to continue to play at an all-star level. Something he'll need to do in the playoffs if we're going to make any noise at all.

With Theis expanding his range out to the 3 point line, Monroe can also pair well with him.

I do feel that Baynes is the better defender, and should continue to start.

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Smitty77

Wow. Look at some of the centers he is above: Noah, Howard, Marc Gasol, Robin Lopez & Whiteside.
so....is the point that we should not take defensive RPM very seriously??   ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 11:30:07 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Smitty77

so....is the point that we should not take defensive RPM very seriously??   ;D

Nobody should ever take RPM seriously, it's a junk statistic.

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2018, 11:30:54 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Different schools of thought, and both make sense. He could start next to Horford, or he could be points and rebounds off the bench.

He has spent the best part of his career as starting center for the Pistons. Before Drummond. And one of the better ones in the league. Big scorer and rebounder, but not a shot blocker. In Milwaukee and Phoenix, he was mainly a bench player. I think he was better in Detroit as a starter.

The surprise is his age--he's only 27--which means he has a lot of prime years left. I don't know where Ainge and Stevens see him--that will play out. But I think he's a tier above Baynes as a player--especially on offense.

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Since Monroe's third season in the NBA, his MPG have gone down every year. Milwaukee has no good centers but they began to play him less and less - although that might be a product of him not being able to keep up with Kidd's much decried trap-heavy scheme on defense. Regardless, I doubt he ever consistently starts here either.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Since Monroe's third season in the NBA, his MPG have gone down every year. Milwaukee has no good centers but they began to play him less and less - although that might be a product of him not being able to keep up with Kidd's much decried trap-heavy scheme on defense. Regardless, I doubt he ever consistently starts here either.

A few people have made a very good point that putting Monroe on the second unit will allow Al to play more of his minutes with Kyrie. That sounds like a win for both lines.

I’ve recently seen footage of Monroe from college, when he was in an offense with a lot of screen actions and showed he was a pretty good passer from the high post. He might really flourish in Brad’s system after Stan and Kidd failed to get the most from him.

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the bench 5 consists of

Monroe
Theis
Morris
Smart
Rozier

I wonder how many teams out there have worse starting fives to our bench 5

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 03:57:16 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
No idea.  Let's see how he does. Working him in this late is going to be a challenge in that they don't have a ton of practices and obviously no training camp so it's going to take some time to integrate him. That all said, Baynes has stunk recently so maybe he does start.