Poll

Does Monroe become a starter this year?

No.
28 (45.9%)
Yes.
33 (54.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Does Monroe become a starter this year?  (Read 4204 times)

Re: Does Monroe become a starter this year?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 04:10:52 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Baynes, and Theis have gotten banged up a few times so sure he will eventually get a few starts.

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 04:12:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think I'd rather have him come off the bench, but who knows if he was promised a starting role as a condition of signing here.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Until he gets used to the system, he comes off the bench. Once he is familiar with everything, you have to start him and try to get off to quick starts every game. Then once into the game after 5 minutes, stagger the rotation so you always have two starters on the floor at the same time. No need to have these all bench unit 5 man groups on the floor at the same time. Those units have killed the Celtics this year.

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 04:18:06 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491
I think there should be a 3rd option:  Will start some games.

I think Brad will use him in a rotation of bigs with Morris, Baynes, Monroe.  There might be games when any one of those 3 gives us the best matchup.  In general I think he will be a bigger asset off the bench to help with bench scoring.  He will have a lot of mismatches off the bench.

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 04:24:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think I'd rather have him come off the bench, but who knows if he was promised a starting role as a condition of signing here.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Reportedly he wasn't promised any specific role or playing time. 

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think there should be a 3rd option:  Will start some games.

I think Brad will use him in a rotation of bigs with Morris, Baynes, Monroe.  There might be games when any one of those 3 gives us the best matchup.  In general I think he will be a bigger asset off the bench to help with bench scoring.  He will have a lot of mismatches off the bench.

In a way, I think post scoring, slower bigs like Monroe are becoming a lot like under-sized combo guards. Great as sixth men off the bench, but limited as starters.

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 05:21:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he will if he comes to play.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I think you run the 2nd unit offense through him.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 05:37:31 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
I actually like the idea of having Monroe start alongside Horford, and having Baynes and Theis as backups.

Baynes could still come handy off the bench and in spurts against the Robin Lopez or Marcin Gortat types we struggled with last year in the playoffs, and Theis could have some advantages in certain match ups as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Baynes starts, Monroe backs up.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think he comes of the bench for a while.  But baynes and him won’t play together. That’s for sure. Brads got options. 
Diggles

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »

Offline Th3M2n

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 14
As long as  he continues to stand around on defense and watch guys drive to the basket without even attempting to challenge them, like he's done during his career so far, there is no way CBS starts him....never mind him even getting a ton of playing time, until he shows effort on the defensive side.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 09:27:42 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
As long as  he continues to stand around on defense and watch guys drive to the basket without even attempting to challenge them, like he's done during his career so far, there is no way CBS starts him....never mind him even getting a ton of playing time, until he shows effort on the defensive side.

Brad, or the culture forces guys to play defense. I mean look at Kyrie playing defense.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Personally, I'd like to see a lineup of

Kyrie
Tatum
Morris
Horford
Monroe

Moving Tatum to the SG at times because his handle is better than Brown's will really add more scoring to this offense. 

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 09:43:42 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I voted yes because I imagine he will start a few times, particularly against certain matchups or if Horford misses any time. But generally, he probably won't start. Defensively, I don't particularly like the Horford/Monroe pairing. They're going to be pretty slow and Monroe, as I understand it, isn't a guy who can switch onto wings that well. I imagine we'll see them separate a lot, and Monroe being utilized as a facilitator (Al's role) more than he has in the past.

This answer is a good example why the poll question is a bad question. Most of the answers like the one quoted voted yes because they think Monroe will start some games, but in reality that was not the question. The question was does he become a starter....this means does he win a starting job, not does he fill in as a starter for an injured player. I voted no because I do not think he becomes a starter if the question had been will he start any games this year..I would have voted yes like many of the yes voters.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 01:35:36 PM by Ogaju »