Author Topic: Philosophically and hypothetically how'd u think Belichick would deal with Smart  (Read 4644 times)

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
In the NFL, Smart is assuredly a linebacker.  And I’d be very surprised if he would have missed a game with his hand injury.  They’d just give it some extra protection and he’s run around out there with a club on his hand, making him even more terrifying.
That's a good point I hadn't thought of in that way.

I would point out one slightly different situation though. I think in the mid 90s (pre Belichick) the Pats drafted a DL out of Nebraska, named Christian Peters. Myra Kraft found out he'd done some horrific stuff to women and he was cut the morning after the draft. I'm not sure the Pats would have tolerated the stuff Sully did, and if Smart is heading down that path I'm not not sure what Bill would do.
I get that you hate the guy, but the implication here is disgusting
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Smart doesn't secure the rock, and is an impulsive and inaccurate shooter... I think he'd have been benched a lot more in his early career until he found his way to being a much more conservative offensive player.  I think the team's reliance on his defensive abilities has actually sent the wrong message and gave him no incentive to improve as an offensive decision maker.

But the dealbreaker for Bill would be if the team determined that he actually injured himself not once but TWICE by foolishly punching things.  Belichick would definitely send him packing for being unreliable and not holding himself accountable to his team.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
This type of post is also ridiculous because it is just used so people can take their opinions and then ascribe them to Belichick to give them some hightened level of credibility.

It's like when people say "Well Abraham Lincoln would be disgusted in X" or "Abraham Lincoln would support X".

We don't know what Lincoln or Belichick would do or want because Abe's dead and Belichick coaches football. All you are trying to do is give your opinion credibility by shoving a legend's name in front of it.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
In the NFL, Smart is assuredly a linebacker.  And I’d be very surprised if he would have missed a game with his hand injury.  They’d just give it some extra protection and he’s run around out there with a club on his hand, making him even more terrifying.

I would point out one slightly different situation though. I think in the mid 90s (pre Belichick) the Pats drafted a DL out of Nebraska, named Christian Peters. Myra Kraft found out he'd done some horrific stuff to women and he was cut the morning after the draft. I'm not sure the Pats would have tolerated the stuff Sully did, and if Smart is heading down that path I'm not not sure what Bill would do.
Oh I am sorry. How did I ever get the idea that a very intense individual that smashed his hands on a photo frame might have anything but the healthiest and most pure of human relationships?
Come on man. It's 2018. I'm not condemning him as guilty by any means, but let's not be naive either.
Btw....what do you suppose people might think at your work if suddenly you couldn't do your job for 2 weeks because you smashed something with your hands?

I don't hate him. I never met him.

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Oh I am sorry. How did I ever get the idea that a very intense individual that smashed his hands on a photo frame might have anything but the healthiest and most pure of human relationships?
Come on man. It's 2018. I'm not condemning him as guilty by any means, but let's not be naive either.
Btw....what do you suppose people might think at your work if suddenly you couldn't do your job for 2 weeks because you smashed something with your hands?

I don't hate him. I never met him.
They wouldn't care for me. Actually they would be happy because more work and money for them.
Peace through Tyranny

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This type of post is also ridiculous because it is just used so people can take their opinions and then ascribe them to Belichick to give them some hightened level of credibility.

It's like when people say "Well Abraham Lincoln would be disgusted in X" or "Abraham Lincoln would support X".

We don't know what Lincoln or Belichick would do or want because Abe's dead and Belichick coaches football. All you are trying to do is give your opinion credibility by shoving a legend's name in front of it.
The reason it's legit is because BB and Stevens are two of the best at what they do and they hang out professionally. I think it will be pretty interesting to see how the Celts will deal with this or if they do. Also how Smart deals with it will be interesting.
I've always thought football was a bit more accountable, at least for the non QBs and non stars.

I admit Brad is a tad limited with what he can do anyway. This is a league that had a hard time with punishing Sprewell at one point and Smart is nothing like that

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Smart doesn't secure the rock, and is an impulsive and inaccurate shooter... I think he'd have been benched a lot more in his early career until he found his way to being a much more conservative offensive player.  I think the team's reliance on his defensive abilities has actually sent the wrong message and gave him no incentive to improve as an offensive decision maker.

But the dealbreaker for Bill would be if the team determined that he actually injured himself not once but TWICE by foolishly punching things.  Belichick would definitely send him packing for being unreliable and not holding himself accountable to his team.
Wait....this isn't the second time Smart did this is it? You're saying "if" right?

Like Spikes messed up a few times.

Offline OGDanny

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
When looking at Belichick's history of dealing with players like smart I think a good place to start would be Brandon Spikes. He was a good one dimensional player like smart (Spikes Run Defense and Smart's Defense) and also had off the field issues.  Belichick gave him a couple chances throughout issues such as the 4 game suspension and dirty hits, but eventually missing a practice had him land on the IR and off the team that offseason.

When looking at it that way, I feel like Stevens/Ainge has handled it fairly similarly in the fact they gave Smart multiple chances (with off the field events) and wont cut him, but this last incident was the final straw and they will not sign him back this offseason.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

And completely baseless.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

And completely baseless.
Really? What's the over/under on how many times a guy can smash stuff so hard he misses work before you get to wonder out loud if maybe he has anger/relationship/control issues?

I totally get that people say I really unfairly dislike the guy but I think it's pretty clear there are some people here that like him more than I dislike him and have pretty much handed him a free pass for life.  Where do I get the Marcus Smart Do No Wrong card?

We've gotten to the point now where it's baseless to ask a guy not smash things and injure himself in the process

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

And completely baseless.
Really? What's the over/under on how many times a guy can smash stuff so hard he misses work before you get to wonder out loud if maybe he has anger/relationship/control issues?

I totally get that people say I really unfairly dislike the guy but I think it's pretty clear there are some people here that like him more than I dislike him and have pretty much handed him a free pass for life.  Where do I get the Marcus Smart Do No Wrong card?

We've gotten to the point now where it's baseless to ask a guy not smash things and injure himself in the process

I would say it's unfair to say that someone who clearly has anger control issues and seems devoted to addressing them is on the same path as someone who assaults women.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

And completely baseless.

I would say it's unfair to say that someone who clearly has anger control issues and seems devoted to addressing them is on the same path as someone who assaults women.
Poor Marcus Smart. Poor poor Marcus Smart. I may have been unfair to him. 

Not that I believe the media but apparently he started smashing stuff because of issues with a woman.  I don't really see that as a good sign.

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
While Belichick would appreciate Marcus's intensity, he also seems to really value disciplined, smart players who do their job.  I think Marcus would be gone this trade deadline for two second round picks.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think Belichick would make a very good NBA head coach. NFL players don't have the leverage to act like the entitled, pampered egomaniacs NBA players do.

Belichick would lose his mind with guys like LeBron, CP3, ect. having more power than him.