Author Topic: Philosophically and hypothetically how'd u think Belichick would deal with Smart  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm thinking trade to the Browns for a 4th.

Granted it never would have gotten this far.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
What was it? Did he run over your dog? Steal your girlfriend?

Smart has somehow personally victimized you. That’s the only rational explanation for your constant vendetta against him on here lol

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cedrix-maxwell-bill-belichick-would-love-marcus-smart/vp-BByTfcU

Cedrix Maxwell seems to believe that Belichick would absolutely love Smart's intensity and defense, so there's that. Oh wait, let me guess, you disagree with what he said? Sure. Well, then I guess there is absolutely no stopping you on your incessant tirade for hating Smart. Maybe it was a picture of you that he broke in the hotel or something... Sheesh...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I've had convos in the past with people about how Belichick would handle certain Celtics rosters.  Given his philosophy of trading away guys a year too early versus a year too late, my guess is that after the 2010 finals loss against the Lakers, there's no way he would've brought that crew back.

Whether it be Ray Allen, Pierce, or KG, I'm convinced that if Belichick was running the Cs, one of them would've been traded way earlier than what ended up being.

My guess with Smart, yes he would probably frustrate Bill with his shot selection, but something tells me Smart would be a Belichick type of guy, specifically with his compete level and drive.  So if Bill were here, I bet he'd do what Ainge is probably going to do too.  He's gonna let Smart go to the market, see what he's worth, and if a team overpays him, then he lets him walk.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Smart is a Belichick type of player. Plays hard every game. Bill would like Marcus.

I don't think Belichick has the same patience as Brad. Bill prob. wouldn't want Marcus to shoot, then would prob lose him to FA. I think Brad has Marcus in his future plans. If not, why else would Marcus get the green light to shoot so much?

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He probably would've been an incredible pass rusher.  Cut the crap, eja
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
If there's anything that Belichick is consistent about, it's that he will play Satan himself as long as Lucifer plays hard. There's been a lot worse sins committed by champion Patriots players than punching a picture frame. This is laughable.

Did we forget there was an actual murderer on the team?
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
What was it? Did he run over your dog? Steal your girlfriend?

Smart has somehow personally victimized you. That’s the only rational explanation for your constant vendetta against him on here lol

Maybe he is the fan Smart fought with in College lol.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cedrix-maxwell-bill-belichick-would-love-marcus-smart/vp-BByTfcU

Cedrix Maxwell seems to believe that Belichick would absolutely love Smart's intensity and defense, so there's that. Oh wait, let me guess, you disagree with what he said? Sure. Well, then I guess there is absolutely no stopping you on your incessant tirade for hating Smart. Maybe it was a picture of you that he broke in the hotel or something... Sheesh...

I tend to agree with this. Smart plays as hard as anyone in the league and his versatility is huge. The way some people talk about him, you'd think Smart was some kind of a problem but I've never heard or seen anything from him to suggest he's a problem in the locker room, just the opposite. I see him as a leader of these teams he's been on.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If there's anything that Belichick is consistent about, it's that he will play Satan himself as long as Lucifer plays hard. There's been a lot worse sins committed by champion Patriots players than punching a picture frame. This is laughable.

I agree with you but he also cut Spikes for being snowed in in a blizzard and not making it to practice.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Wow! I don't follow football, hows that?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
In the NFL, Smart is assuredly a linebacker.  And I’d be very surprised if he would have missed a game with his hand injury.  They’d just give it some extra protection and he’s run around out there with a club on his hand, making him even more terrifying.

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
Same way he Dealt with Hernandez.

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I've had convos in the past with people about how Belichick would handle certain Celtics rosters.  Given his philosophy of trading away guys a year too early versus a year too late, my guess is that after the 2010 finals loss against the Lakers, there's no way he would've brought that crew back.

Whether it be Ray Allen, Pierce, or KG, I'm convinced that if Belichick was running the Cs, one of them would've been traded way earlier than what ended up being.

My guess with Smart, yes he would probably frustrate Bill with his shot selection, but something tells me Smart would be a Belichick type of guy, specifically with his compete level and drive.  So if Bill were here, I bet he'd do what Ainge is probably going to do too.  He's gonna let Smart go to the market, see what he's worth, and if a team overpays him, then he lets him walk.

But they had one more incredible run in them in 2012 AND got incredible return for Pierce and Garnett after all. Ainge didn’t flub that (other than Ray doing what he did, and maybe Ainge should take the blame for that one.... shoulda actually traded him), and I’m not convinced trading them in 2010 would have yielded a better return.

As for Smart, he seems like a guy Belichek would covet. In football, he would only play defense.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
In the NFL, Smart is assuredly a linebacker.  And I’d be very surprised if he would have missed a game with his hand injury.  They’d just give it some extra protection and he’s run around out there with a club on his hand, making him even more terrifying.
That's a good point I hadn't thought of in that way.

I would point out one slightly different situation though. I think in the mid 90s (pre Belichick) the Pats drafted a DL out of Nebraska, named Christian Peters. Myra Kraft found out he'd done some horrific stuff to women and he was cut the morning after the draft. I'm not sure the Pats would have tolerated the stuff Sully did, and if Smart is heading down that path I'm not not sure what Bill would do.